Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with the price of gas/oil doing what it's doing will there be a day when synthetic oil will be the same price or even lower than the rotted dinosaur type?

Or will they just jack up the price of synthetic because it's "oil" too?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Of course they'll jack the price. Synthetic is already more expensive. Has been for a long time. At my local Toyota stealership an oil/filter will run you about $35 for dino. Synthetic oil/filter will run $75. Thats why I do my own until I'm physically not able to. Then I'll get the kid next door to do it for me under my watchful eye. I'll tell him he can borrow it after he doe's 500 oil/filter changes. :lol::cheers:

·
Registered
104 Posts
The additives that go into (most) synthetic oils are produced at far smaller volumes than crude and, at least the good stuff, has some proprietary R&D that goes into it.

Don't think syn will ever be less but if the day comes that it is we'll have a whole lot of other problems to worry about it...

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am a firm believer in synthetic oils. With the problems were now having with oil I suspect someday syn will be mandatory in all vehicles. When that happens the price will drop due to use. Right now the oils companies don't sell enough syn to offset costs of production and engineering. Most people just but the cheapest they can find. In this case it's dino oil.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
With the price of syn oil already, I seriously doubt they will drop the price. It'll will only go up and not down!:mecry::flame:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts