Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not too much info on this here and the ultraguage site doesn't have a customer service line to ask. I have the old ultraguage that doesn't display the trans temp. I'm moving to Florida and pulling a trailer so I needed a simple display like this that's easy to plug into my obd2 port.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Best solution I've found is a $25 Bluetooth OBDII dongle (plugged into your OBD port) and an Android phone or tablet running the Torque Pro app ($5).

This will display BOTH transmission temp readings from your FJ (pan and torque converter outlet), as well as scores of other interesting and useful engine parameters: instantaneous and long-term fuel consumption (MPG), engine coolant temp, ignition timing advance, commanded and actual air:fuel ratios, real-time GPS coordinates, volume of intake air CFM actually passing through the engine, electrical system voltage, percent throttle opening, and many, many more. Also allows you to read any OBDII codes, turn off the CEL, etc.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Best solution I've found is a $25 Bluetooth OBDII dongle (plugged into your OBD port) and an Android phone or tablet running the Torque Pro app ($5).

This will display BOTH transmission temp readings from your FJ (pan and torque converter outlet), as well as scores of other interesting and useful engine parameters: instantaneous and long-term fuel consumption (MPG), engine coolant temp, ignition timing advance, commanded and actual air:fuel ratios, real-time GPS coordinates, volume of intake air CFM actually passing through the engine, electrical system voltage, percent throttle opening, and many, many more. Also allows you to read any OBDII codes, turn off the CEL, etc.

View attachment 1121186
Where did u get your blue tooth obd2 dongle from?

·
Premium Member
2,716 Posts
Agree with ^^^ I'm still learning the Torque Pro software.

IMG_0457.JPG

@FJtest Not to stray but how did you do the Screen Shot? Great idea..

·
Premium Member
2,716 Posts
How did you get trans temp? I have a 2012 and I thought you needed to add an extra trans temp device/sending unit?
When I got my new PC I didn't transfer all my files. Have to fire the old one up and see if I can find the text file with the PIDs. The code you need to enter trans temps is also in a post here, which I can't find at the moment

I used the code from another Toyota, Prius I believe. Other Toyotas also. Tacoma forum is one place.

Here is some info from the Forum. The text file in my post is jumbled.

Torque Pro Trans Temp

PID text file. Be sure to turn word wrap off in the text editor...…

Trans Temp PIDs

When you enter a formula you will get an error until you are finished entering it.

You can change the Short and Long names. Min and Max temps, probably put a C in instead of F.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
How did you get trans temp? I have a 2012 and I thought you needed to add an extra trans temp device/sending unit?
Here is my 2012 TT. Nothing extra added. I have a torque pro, but I prefer the headunit.

Mine is setup, so when you hold down "volume up" on steering wheel, it gets straight to all the guages. All guages are configurable, but I have trans temp, speed, instant MPG, coolant temp, and range.

Sometimes I swap the Instant MPG with intake temp or something else.

If you hold down "volume down" it takes you to tire temp. You can see one of my tire is "low" that is due to, this can catch the pressure in the spare, and I just did the rotation, and didn't change the setting.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
The A750F transmission has two internal temperature sensors, so no additional hardware is needed. The engine ECM monitors both transmission pan and torque converter outlet fluid temperatures, and they are available at the OBDII interface.

To get Torque Pro to display these temperatures, you need to create two "custom" PIDs (Parameter IDs), and enter the formulas into Torque Pro correctly. The formulas must be copied EXACTLY, no extra line spaces or omitted/misplaced characters.

I'll look up the formulas later today and post them here if no one else does. I recently upgraded to a later model Samsung 10.1" tablet, and had to do this again.

·
Registered
111 Posts
When I got my new PC I didn't transfer all my files. Have to fire the old one up and see if I can find the text file with the PIDs. The code you need to enter trans temps is also in a post here, which I can't find at the moment

I used the code from another Toyota, Prius I believe. Other Toyotas also. Tacoma forum is one place.

Here is some info from the Forum. The text file in my post is jumbled.

Torque Pro Trans Temp

PID text file. Be sure to turn word wrap off in the text editor...…

Trans Temp PIDs

When you enter a formula you will get an error until you are finished entering it.

You can change the Short and Long names. Min and Max temps, probably put a C in instead of F.
Tanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts