Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's supposed to be a trail model, but I'm looking for something higher performance.

I'm considering waiting for a supercharged or turbo diesel model. I know I could buy the initial offering and bolt on aftermarket power adders, but I'm hesistant to do that from previous experiences. Factory performance is just so much more reliable (which I think is very important off road, breaking down in a field or a forest has to suck).

Think there will be a high performance model? I think I'm going to wait and see what they come up with, anyone else?

·
Registered
524 Posts
I think the supercharger will provide you with the best bang for the buck if you are talking about needing to make an extra 30hp or more.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I don't know about turbo diesel, but as far as gasoline engines, the 4.0 V6 is probably the fourth/fifth largest naturally-aspirated gasoline engine that Toyota currently has (after the #UZ-FE's and the elusive, rumored V12 in Toyota Century). I would venture a guess that if Toyota decided to put a V8 (4.7l 2UZ-FE, since it's used in Prado/GX470), it would be mated to an automatic tranny (yuck).

·
Registered
162 Posts
pigmY said:
I'm considering waiting for a supercharged or turbo diesel model. Think there will be a high performance model? I think I'm going to wait and see what they come up with, anyone else?
You will be able to slap the TRD supercharger into the FJC, but there will be no turbo diesel. Toyota's solution to fuel economy in the US is clear: Hybrid. 2 years ago, Toyota rumored that a Hybrid engine will be available for each car model and most of the SUVs by 2008. It is possible we could see a Hybrid for the FJC in the next couple of years. I don't believe Toyota will put the V8 in the FJC either. The V6's pwr to weight ration is well suited for what the vehicle is designed for and the maximum 5000 lbs towing capacity will be enough to pull 95% of what owners would want to pull (another reason Toyota won't offer a diesel.) If you are holding out for more power, the supercharger is supposed to be out mid summer, but will most likely be an dealer add-on. In the past the SC has never come installed from the factory.

-Gnzo

·
Registered
552 Posts
I think there is a chance that Toyota will offer a diesel. First consider that the Tundra will have a diesel and second the whole hybrid hype is not applicable to all Toyotas, I think they covered that in one of the Q and A sessions.

·
Registered
181 Posts
What is to stop them from putting the V8 in the fj??

I have a feeling (and I would be pissed if I bought already) that they will stick the V8 in at some point. It's just too easy. BTW the V8 kicks ass in every way if you ask me, smooth, quiet, powerful, torquey and proven.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
Maybe the next gen of the FJC will get a V8, when they go with a larger displacement for the new Tundra i would guess that the FCJ might get the 2UZ 4.7 as a hand-me-down.

the thing holding back the introduction of diesel is the quality of fuel in the US. if we ever get the low-sulphur diesel here it will be much easier for manufacturers to meet emissions regs.

·
Registered
106 Posts
just have an autobody install a supercharger for you they cost like 500-3500$ depending on the shop

·
Registered
181 Posts
toyota homie said:
just have an autobody install a supercharger for you they cost like 500-3500$ depending on the shop
Huh??

It'll cost you around $4000 from Toyota. And I wouldn't go any other way than that for a supercharger.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'll sell you a bolt-on supercharger for $500. I have an F-1 car in my garage too, and that's only $25k. =)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im pretty sure that in the not to distant future, SQUIRES turbo systems will have a kit for the FJ. They already have to kits available for other Toyotas and Im pretty sure one of their systems would work great for the FJ as well. I am well aware of the supercharger vs. turbo argument for off road vehicles but I think with proper tuning the Squires systems would fill most peoples needs nicely.

·
Registered
181 Posts
miami-k9 said:
Im pretty sure that in the not to distant future, SQUIRES turbo systems will have a kit for the FJ. They already have to kits available for other Toyotas and Im pretty sure one of their systems would work great for the FJ as well. I am well aware of the supercharger vs. turbo argument for off road vehicles but I think with proper tuning the Squires systems would fill most peoples needs nicely.
Unless it is a lot cheaper than the supercharger I see no reason to get that when you can get it OEM and have the warranty on it also. And as you mentioned the supercharger is better for an off-road vehicle.

·
Registered
181 Posts
illFJC said:
sweet.. i didn't realize the sc vs. turbo debate trickled down to the off-road aspect. :)

fwiw, I think it really comes down to preference and application. Leaning more on preference.
I would say it leans more on application. Torque being the bigger concern in off-roading I really do not see a use for a turbo unless your application is more for street. Also the turbo, if i am correct, doesn't develop the extra power until higher RPM's so to make it even less useful in slow, low RPM off-roading

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
ToyBox said:
I would say it leans more on application. Torque being the bigger concern in off-roading I really do not see a use for a turbo unless your application is more for street. Also the turbo, if i am correct, doesn't develop the extra power until higher RPM's so to make it even less useful in slow, low RPM off-roading
It's really based on application and tuning. Type of SC, size of turbo, etc...

To say a turbo doesn't make torque would be incorrect. Or to say the power doesn't come on til after a supercharger would be also be incorrect. It really depends on the specifics of the application.

Rally could be considered "offroad". Turbocharging is extrmemly popular in that sport. I know this isn't really what you meant by "off-road".. but just sharing.

But I wasn't trying to start a debate.. just thought it was funny as it reaches enthusiasts everywhere.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts