Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Yes, it will fit your 2" receiver. I paid $40 for mine locally.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
make sure to get the locking pin... i just got a regular pin and it got stolen... =(
I don't leave it in. It hurts my ability to go though some ditches and or steep hills.

And now days, I usually just put the Pin through the strap inside the hitch. I don't even use the receiver much any more.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yes it fits, i have the same with a locking pin, just to be safe. Be aware that my Warn came without the red screw top. Painted it when I got home!

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
I got mi for $27 locally at a Tractor Supply. They had mismarked it or never updated the price form a sale. If they had had more than one I would have been all over them as well:)

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Need help knowing if this is a good choice and if I'm paying too much. Any help is appreciated.

Warn
2in. Receiver Shackle Kit from 4 Wheel Parts
$42.95

Receiver Shackle
If you check Harbour Freight they have a class lll receiver with a heavy duty hook on the end. $8.95 and you just hang the strap right on the hook without all the hassle of a D ring.:lol:

·
Registered
365 Posts
I got one from Offroad Warehouse in San Diego for (I'm 80% sure) $26. It's solid, and was way cheaper than that one. Check them out.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I don't leave it in. It hurts my ability to go though some ditches and or steep hills.

And now days, I usually just put the Pin through the strap inside the hitch. I don't even use the receiver much any more.
If you have a near straight pull, yes this is okay. If you have a pull to the side, your are putting all that stress on the strap eye on a corner of metal.

To another poster that mentioned bending the pin, those things are solid steel and meant to be used when towing probably up to 10,000 lbs. They are built to withstand a tremendous shearing force. I don't know if the strap is going to bend that.

I have this shackle hitch receiver from Warn. I like that it is solid galvanized steel. Others i have seen that were cheaper were not solid. You are getting a solid 3/4" shackle out of it that can be used for other needs as well.

·
Registered
610 Posts
if it's made in usa definitely go for it. if not...

If you bend the pin during a recovery, it will be almost impossible to remove it from the hitch.
I would do the pin through the strap thing too. It's unlikely to bend because it's as thick as a shackle pin and it's stainless steel(I think).

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
$40 bucks seems kinds high for what it is, but I want a good hook up. I checked Tractor Supply and Off Road Wharehouse online but couldnt find that they sold them online.

Does it make a difference if I use a Hook or the D-Ring ??? Because the hook is alot cheaper.

Thanks for everybodys help on this.

I'm trying to get ready for a run next saturday and want to be have the right stuff. But kinda low on funds after just ordering sliders, LCA skids and a air compressor.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
$40 bucks seems kinds high for what it is, but I want a good hook up. I checked Tractor Supply and Off Road Wharehouse online but couldnt find that they sold them online.

Does it make a difference if I use a Hook or the D-Ring ??? Because the hook is alot cheaper.

Thanks for everybodys help on this.

I'm trying to get ready for a run next saturday and want to be have the right stuff. But kinda low on funds after just ordering sliders, LCA skids and a air compressor.
I would rather use a bow shackle than a hook always. Especially if the hook doesn't have that thin metal backing to hold the strap on so it can't bounce off if there gets slack. I haven't seen any receiver hooks that had this. If you want to get the hook, try and find one that is solid not hollow inside.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I don't think having a solid receiver end is that necessary. as long as it's as thick as standard 2in receiver tubing. and yes it is good to have a latch on the hook. a big enough latched hook is as good as a shackle I say

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
if you plan on using it as lift point for a HighLift jack I would recommend the shackle over the hook even if you turn it upside down...

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
If you bend the pin during a recovery, it will be almost impossible to remove it from the hitch.
Trust me, I have used it like this in extreme conditions and it did not bend.

If you have a near straight pull, yes this is okay. If you have a pull to the side, your are putting all that stress on the strap eye on a corner of metal.
Couple of points here, my hitch metal is double laminated metal and hard for me to believe it is going to bend.

Also if you have to pull that hard from that far from the side I would thing it might cause some other damage to the suspension of the FJC before the hitch deforms.

All I know it works great for me and my preferred method now days, and I have used it a lot. :) YMMV

Four bucks from Northern Tools

1 - 16 of 16 Posts