Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
I know somebody on here was using like them to attach crossbars to a utility rack, but it doesn't look like the Railgrabs will work. I can't find the original thread now.

Check out the clamping mechanism in this shot:
Yakima Railgrab Pairs factory tracks or rails Rack System

Seems like its built for a factory rail that has a groove in it for that little clamp to rest in.

·
Registered
280 Posts

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I think they can work on the factory rack and they will attach to round bars as well. Just wondering if there is enough clearance to work on the Baja Utility. Was thinking for carrying kayaks with my Hull-A-Ports! Or I wonder if there is an easier way to attach the Hull-A-Ports to a utility rack? Here they are on the factory rack.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
280 Posts
Sorry when I said factory I meant factory on non-FJ vehicles. I'd just ask Vixx how they work on the utility rack.

Regarding other ways to attach your kayak racks, BajaRack sells "tent plates" that I've found pretty handy for mounting things. It's a small plate that clamps down over two of the crossbars. They're used to mount a roof top tent, but its simple enough to be adapted to anything you can bolt to it. You can get 4 of them for $60. Check out my photos of the bike rack I made with them:

Showing the bike rack from above. The 4 nuts between fork mounts are where I've got the tent plates bolted from below.

Showing the tent plate on the underside of the roof rack. I used 4 of these, but I think I could have gotten away with less. The tent plates are pretty beefy.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Sorry when I said factory I meant factory on non-FJ vehicles. I'd just ask Vixx how they work on the utility rack.

Regarding other ways to attach your kayak racks, BajaRack sells "tent plates" that I've found pretty handy for mounting things. It's a small plate that clamps down over two of the crossbars. They're used to mount a roof top tent, but its simple enough to be adapted to anything you can bolt to it. You can get 4 of them for $60. Check out my photos of the bike rack I made with them:

Showing the bike rack from above. The 4 nuts between fork mounts are where I've got the tent plates bolted from below.

Showing the tent plate on the underside of the roof rack. I used 4 of these, but I think I could have gotten away with less. The tent plates are pretty beefy.

This is exactly what I am looking for but I cannot find a link to any "tent plates". Do you remember where you bought them?

Thanks! :cheers:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im new, so pardon me if I don’t post this correctly but...

I had the same question in wanting crossbars for my baja rack and found the rail grabbers to work perfectly.
They come with 3 sets of “claws” which is the part that grabs the bottom side of the rail, so you can choose whats best, and they hold great.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VE6II2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This is for the tower(s) only and you have to add bars...(I had 2 old ones and they fit the new towers as well.)
I got mine to elevate J holders for a kayak above the bed of the rack.
Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts