Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed before but I want to explore it again based on some interesting stuff I found.

For instance, with the seats folded down the FJ actually has more interior space than the Xterra (66 cu ft. vs 64 cu ft.) and it's actually longer over all by a few inches! It was thought before that a 6' person couldn't sleep in the back of an FJ but I'm starting to re-think that, as long as you can get over the non-flat floor. We know that a 6' person can lay in the back of an Xterra, but based on this data I have to believe that a 6' person could fit in an FJ as well. I was always under the impression that an FJ was quite a bit smaller than the Xterra but the only thing smaller is the wheelbase by about 1 inch.

Anyone have more thoughts on this? From what I remember seeing at SEMA it seemed like there was actually alot of room in the back of the FJ. I'm just mostly disappointed that it's not a 100% fold flat. Using the cargo area of an SUV is a great way to camp without a tent. Getting changed is the only real difficulty but it's still pretty easy. I did it once with my mom's Expedition and it was a great way to camp out without having to set up a tent. Of course, there's always the option of getting one of those hatch back tents they make for SUVs which I'm sure they'll make for the FJ.

So, anyone have any thoughts on this?

- FJ

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm sure that with a little elevated section to level the rear with the folded seats, I'll be able to crash out if necessary, might not be totaly comfortable, but I bet it can be done.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
if I can sleep in my GTI and my former Passat, I can sleep in the FJ :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
When I was checking out the X earlier in the year, sleeping inside was something I looked at. I'm 5'9" and I would fit with the hatch closed but my head was just far enough over the edge of the seat that I would have to use the headrest for support.

I've never been in an FJ but I'm betting they are quite similar except the way the seats fold down in the FJ the seat bottom could interfer with that headroom. So you might have to lay at an angle.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
With a little engineuity, you could sleep in the back of the FJC. Two air mattresses, one fatter than the other, and you level the old playing field..
I spent 4 nights sleeping in the back of a Volvo P1800 sports car on a trip to Cal. If you can sleep in that, you can sleep in anything.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just remember, the 2nd row seat is removable, giving you more room to stretch out with the front seats all the way forward. I bet it will work.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I slept on a couch that my friends and I carried about 2 miles up a mountain...never in the back of an SUV though. Hmm...I am 6'2"...Is it out of the picture entirely for me to sleep in the FJ?

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
Lost Cosmonaut said:
...I did it once with my mom's Expedition and it was a great way to camp out without having to set up a tent. ...
Dude, its not camping out if you dont have a tent. its just not the same if you dont have to struggle for an hour to get it set up only to be poked in the back by rocks and roots all night...

i cant really knock it though, i think we've all been car camping before.... i slept in my wife's 97 rav4 with her before (yes, we were really sleeping). the fj has to be bigger than that...

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Topless4runner said:
Dude, its not camping out if you dont have a tent. its just not the same if you dont have to struggle for an hour to get it set up only to be poked in the back by rocks and roots all night...

i cant really knock it though, i think we've all been car camping before.... i slept in my wife's 97 rav4 with her before (yes, we were really sleeping). the fj has to be bigger than that...
Oh trust me, I know completely. My friends and I used to hike at 2 miles into the woods from the nearest road-like construct and sleep in a tent (sometimes even without!), drink from streams, eat whatever edible plants we could find, etc. But I doubt the little woman would be up for much of that. She likes camping, I just don't know if she'd be up for the kind of camping my buddies and I used to do.

- LC

·
Registered
650 Posts
I own a 03' 4Runner, I'm 5'10" and I can sleep in the back.

The FJ Cruiser is design on the same plateform but its 5" shorter l (189.2" vs 183.9").

The back seat system apear to be the same as 4Runner and my conclusion on this point is: Pretty shure it will be less easyer to sleep in the FJ compare to 4runner.

Anyway, a black FJ MT6 is comming and sleeping is secondary...

·
Registered
142 Posts
For sleeping the FJ is not even close to the room of the xterra. Look that the pics the back with those wheel well humps. Some of us like to sleep 2 in the back and that is not an option in the FJ.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
You gotta hand it to elemintal, he's pretty consistent. Wrong forum, but consistent.

·
Registered
106 Posts
even though its not tottaly folded flat i checked dimensions at an auto show its big enough for a 3 person inflatable camping bed. :)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
More important question is not if you can sleep but if you can have a good fried chicken dinner in it.

·
Registered
644 Posts
The interior looked spacey, I'd bet you can dine on whatever you felt like in that thing. And cleanup is a breeze with that rubber floor.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Tone said:
And cleanup is a breeze with that rubber floor.
perfect if you are sharing the sleeping space :D

um..yeah....so....this thing apparently is a LOT bigger than I anticipated. Someone said in between a 4runner and a Tahoe yesterday? That seems HUGE to me.......

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Bostonian1976 said:
perfect if you are sharing the sleeping space :D

um..yeah....so....this thing apparently is a LOT bigger than I anticipated. Someone said in between a 4runner and a Tahoe yesterday? That seems HUGE to me.......
Pretty much the same width as the 4 Runner, not any bigger.

overall width:
4-Runner: 75.2
FJC: 74.6
Tahoe: 78.8

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
elemint said:
For sleeping the FJ is not even close to the room of the xterra. Look that the pics the back with those wheel well humps. Some of us like to sleep 2 in the back and that is not an option in the FJ.
Hm. We've already seen that it's wider than a H3 inside. And by the numbers it's bigger inside than the Xterra. Wanna fill us in on where you come to these conclusions?

I think it's alot bigger inside than everyone would like to give it credit for.

Poor misunderstood FJ :(

- LC

1 - 20 of 40 Posts