Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on my way back from Rausch Creek today I stopped in at a truck stop and picked up the 5ft antenna I've been itching for for a while now. I got it home open it up and it has a ground wire. Well they actually call it a impedance matching transformer wire. So heres my issue:
The wire will not reach anywhere I can ground it. So I'm going to have to lengthen it but then the question is where should I ground? Aside from undoing the nut attaching the mount to the hinge is there a way??

Please bear in mind I know nothing Layman's terms please and thanks all responses are appreciated.

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
There are several threads (mostly in the Electrical section) regarding this antenna. The wire attaches to the Bandi Mount bolt/nut that holds it to the hinge. You first scrape all paint from the hole in the hinge where the bolt goes thru for a good ground. Then, you scrape the powder coating from the Bandi Mount where the nut goes, and put the wire end there....install the mounting nut and you have a GREAT ground for the antenna.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I've got the Wilson also although the four foot version. What a great antenna.
I really like the way they they have designed their tuning mechanism at the tip of the antenna compared to others.

I used that wired to ground to the Bandi Mount after scraping a little paint.

After installing I rechecked the directions that came with the antenna and found out you only need to use that if you cannot get a decent SWR reading when you tune your antenna.

So in reality if you can tune the antenna to a decent SWR you don't even need the wire. It was good they put it on there for vehicles that are difficult to tune.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Great looking rig by the way.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Mountainclimber is correct. The extra matching groung is only used if you can not get the SWR down enough. I don't use it at all, I get about a 2 SWR at about 1KW of power. If I put it on my SWR jumps to over 3.5 (bad).

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mountainclimber is correct. The extra matching groung is only used if you can not get the SWR down enough. I don't use it at all, I get about a 2 SWR at about 1KW of power. If I put it on my SWR jumps to over 3.5 (bad).
Yea no my issure is a consistant high swr so I guess I need to connect it, wish I didnt though because then I wouldnt need to make a 20 min swap before off roading. I guess thats the downside.

Just so you all know I left out the fact that I've had a 3ft Firestik w/QD for a while now I just want something a bit beefier for the highway.

Any thoughts on lengthening the wire?
Thanks for the quick responses guys.

·
Registered
639 Posts
with mine we drilled and tapped a second hole to the bandi. this way i can still remove the antenna pretty easy. i have the two foot versin.
This sounds like a good idea if you need the extra ground. I am thinking you could put two new ends on the wires, and make a quick disconnect for it real easy. This way you will still be able to take it off fast.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts