Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
I’d suggest looking at Badlands winches also. 12,000lbs for around $320 is hard to beat. They get good reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,971 Posts
Welcome to the Forum :smile

I have a Warn, they are a local company for me. I support locals as much as I can. A good winch, saved my bacon a few times. Make sure what you do get will fit the front bumper/winch mount you'll be getting

Probably not what you are looking for but here are two links to searches.

Forum search, threads with winch in the title:

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=34492274

Google search of this forum for 'best winch'. There are other non forum related hits.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=KvArXc6vKoK90PEP4cONoAc&q=fj+cruiser+forums+best+winch&oq=fj+cruiser+forums+best+winch&gs_l=psy-ab.12...2267.8631..11050...1.0..0.308.3286.15j13j0j1......0....1..gws-wiz.....10..35i39j0i131j0j0i67j0i20i263j0i10j0i22i30j33i22i29i30.Mae0oJdx5PE

They will help, a lot of good choices, but its up to you.. :smile Good Luck

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,429 Posts
I know a few here rate Come Up too.

In the ‘old days’ it was pretty much Warn or Superwinch but today there are lots of budget options more than adequate for occasional use, lets fave it they’re pretty simple nit of machinery.

If you want synthetic rope bear in mind it can be cheaper to buy a winch with either wire rope or no rope and order the synthetic separately too, that’s what I did.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
I agree with ZerosFJ, synthetic rope for me is most critic point, much improved safety and ease of handling.
Then amperage draw at load, larger capacity winch pull less power doing the same amount of work compared to a lower capacity winch operating at it's limit is inefficient.
Cost has really come down. I have the same 12,000 lbs Badlands winch for 8 years, still works like day one with no weather protection.

If your going to be doing a lot of recovery a hydraulic winch is industrial grade with commercial price.

You'll need to consider your battery size as well as bumper.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
I am a Warn fan. Years ago the old style wireless remote died. They replaced it with the new style for free. Great customer service, and a great winch.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Considering retrieving speed is great idea. Another thing to to be honest with yourself and the reason you are buying it. I’ve had mine about 8 years now and only used it maybe 3 times to pull me or someone else out. That included 1 time use on Rubicon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,023 Posts
I used mine a lot this past week . Remote winch control is a great add . Synthetic line is a must . also a Factor 55 pro link . or flat link is a much better option than a standard hook

·
トヨタ Master
7,706 Posts
Warn.

·
トヨタ Master
7,706 Posts
I used mine a lot this past week . Remote winch control is a great add . Synthetic line is a must . also a Factor 55 pro link . or flat link is a much better option than a standard hook
I didn't realize that I had passed you a couple of times in Ouray until Thorn mentioned you had that wrap. Looks good!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have the ComeUp 9.5rsi and love it. I’d second the synthetic rope recommendations that have been mentioned. A wireless remote is also handy, but not critical.

I looked at the Smittys, and think they’re a great value. I had this same question before buying a winch and a couple good responses boiled down to - if you’re going to always be wheeling with other people with a winch then a Smitty or whatever is probably fine. If that’s not the case then I’d look into a ComeUp or Warn.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
I looked at many and wound up purchasing the ComeUp Seal Gen2 9.5rs1. Waterproof with wireless remote. installing next week.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
I looked at many and wound up purchasing the ComeUp Seal Gen2 9.5rs1. Waterproof with wireless remote. installing next week.
Got the same one. Love it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Although I'm a Warn fan myself, Ramsey is worth mentioning and Superwinch are worth another mention as well.

The biggest factors for me aside from whether the winch will fit in a particular use/bumper, are:
Line speed with and without load, total capacity (usually first wrap) and capacity with additional line/cable on the spool & line/cable total length it will take.

Personally, I consider a winch essential gear and would recommend the best you can afford even if it sees sparing use, but ymmv.
Consider too the recovery gear you use or will be equipped with, your wheeling style, terrain where you wheel, and who and what other rigs you wheel with. Service and support for the winch in your neck of the woods and where you might end up using it - or more importantly - needing to fix it, may or should play a factor in your purchase too.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts