Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,293 Posts
Re: Winch and Stock Bumper mount on a Budget.

" Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What winches will work with the Lucrum Mount?

A: The Lucrum Mount works with all known winches from 6,000lbs to 16,000lbs without any modification with the exception of the "Warn Powerplant" winch. The "Warn Powerplant" winch will work without any needed modifications to the Lucrum Mount; however the stock bumper and grill would need to be modified. "

i was told a 9k winch minimum because if at the least a stock fj (4k curb weight[?]) is stuck and depending on how badly as well as any other added possible factors, will add more resistance increasing the towing weight.

·
Premium Member
9,334 Posts

Wilson... i appreciate your enthusiasm on trying to sell demello front bumper...now correct me if i am wrong but i imagine it weighs a couple 200 pounds or better...
Not pushing the bumper, just showing that a full aftermarket bumper can be purchased for about the same money. Was throwing out another option. If you are happy with the looks of the stock bumper then that's a different story.

Single hoop bumper will add 80 pounds over the stock.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts

DUDE! NICE RIG!! im leaning towards the lucrum winch mount... just need to save up a little more money. what kind of winch do you have? and whered you get the TRD bumper guard? any special fab needed to get the bull guard to fit with the winch mount?
The TRD on the modified brush guard (now a push guard) is just a sticker.
Instead of the D-ring tabs on the winch mount, I installed a set of PIAA 520 SMR lights.

The push guard is installed to the Lucrum winch mount using just simple L-brackets (at the middle and bottom).

BTW, I have the WARN 8000 winch.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts

If you are planning on adding a lucrum mount and a winch you are more than likely going to need to beef up the front suspension regardless.

The Demello bumper is pretty light and far from 200lbs. The ARB (one of the heaviest bumpers available) weighs in under 150lbs.

I believe the reason he posted the group buy for the Demello bumper is not because he wants to "push" their product on you. He and the rest of the mods have nothing to gain from you buying any products advertised on this forum. Demello is offering a group buy which means the bumper is at a discounted price than normal, and since you are saying you are shopping on a budget it seems like a wise choice.

I promise you that the weight of a Demello bumper plus an 80-100lbs winch vs the Lucrum mount with an 80-100lbs winch is not going to be significant. Either way you are going to want to get firmer coils up front.

My vote would be to replace the bumper and not go with the Lucrum mount. The Lucrum mount means you still have the horrible approach angle of the stock bumper. It also offers no protection that a full steel bumper offers (offroad and onroad).

According to Lucrum, his mount is "about 50lbs".

According to Demello their no hoop bumper is "around 90lbs"

So with a winch you are looking at ~130lbs vs. ~170lbs.

Wilson... i appreciate your enthusiasm on trying to sell demello front bumper... but as stated before in this thread... the wieght plays a significant role for our pockets, hence why some of us want the stock bumper mount. Now, im not sure, i am going to do a little more research on this bumper your advertising... now correct me if i am wrong but i imagine it weighs a couple 200 pounds or better... and from the research i have done this would require a beefing of the front suspension to compensate. I am on a budget... and dont think that i can afford the bumper plus the beefed suspension. not to mention the change in fuel mileage that i have heard you lose with the heavier bumper. the Lucrum mount seems legit and from those who have it they arent disappointed. thank you for your opinion. i am also curious what that bumper normally costs... the link you gave was for the group buy... by the time i get mine whether it be the bumper or the mount... this sale will most likely be over. THanks again.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts

i was told a 9k winch minimum because if at the least a stock fj (4k curb weight[?]) is stuck and depending on how badly as well as any other added possible factors, will add more resistance increasing the towing weight.
A general rule of thumb is you would like the winch to have a rating of at least 1.5x the weight of your vehicle.

A stock FJC weighs close to 4400 from Toyota.
1.5 x 4400 = 6,600

Obviously the higher the rating the winch the better, but having a 12K lbs winch on the FJ is ridiculously overkill. Most find 8000lbs winches to be adequate.

I personally wouldn't buy anything above 8-9Klbs winch because of pulleys and shackles, and winchline extensions. I can easily rig up an 8000lbs winch to tow 16,000lbs (ideally) with a pulley, shackle, and a tree saver strap. Not to mention the higher the tow capacity winch you buy the more it costs and the more it weighs.

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,293 Posts

thank you for the info boss. i;m new to this world

·
Registered
54 Posts

I installed a black Lucrum winch mount and a 8000 lb Warn on my 08 Trail Teams a couple of months ago. The look was exactly what I was hoping for! It is a quality product and required no hacking to make it fit. I highly recommend it.
As far as any sagging, I couldnt notice any but I have a set of 1/4" leveling spacers on mine and it looks good.
VL

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

I installed a black Lucrum winch mount and a 8000 lb Warn on my 08 Trail Teams a couple of months ago. The look was exactly what I was hoping for! It is a quality product and required no hacking to make it fit. I highly recommend it.
As far as any sagging, I couldnt notice any but I have a set of 1/4" leveling spacers on mine and it looks good.
VL
sweet thanks. thats what im going for. thanks for your input!:rocker:

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts

I just finished the install of my Lucrum's Steel Winch Mount. I am very happy. I wanted to keep the stock look and not have to change my suspension. I looked at all the aftermarket bumpers and it was not a money decision, I wanted to keep the stock look and stock suspension.

It is very well built. If you have a few tools it is rather easy to install. The hard thing was deciding where to mount the winch control box. I decided to leave off the D-rings just to keep the smooth face of the bumper. If I change my mind I could still add them.

PB212341.jpg

·
Premium Member
171 Posts

I am hoping someone with experience in these matters can help answer this question.....

If I go with a Lucrum (~60lbs) + Smittybilt xrc8 (~68lbs) I assume that my front will lower (of course right?). So, my question is what do I do about getting back this height?

I currently have the 07' TRD with the Bilstein TRD suspension. What do I need, spacers, replacement coil overs ????? I really have no idea. Someone please help!!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

I just finished the install of my Lucrum's Steel Winch Mount. I am very happy. I wanted to keep the stock look and not have to change my suspension. I looked at all the aftermarket bumpers and it was not a money decision, I wanted to keep the stock look and stock suspension.

It is very well built. If you have a few tools it is rather easy to install. The hard thing was deciding where to mount the winch control box. I decided to leave off the D-rings just to keep the smooth face of the bumper. If I change my mind I could still add them.

View attachment 38541
sweet. im still leaning towards this once my funds are added up right... and i definatly have a good tool selection. (snap-on is expensive tho):clap: how much sag is there in your front end now? im assuming you still have stock suspension since you said you didnt want to change anything on it... also is there any difference in driving or front end dive while braking? thanks. and congrats.:wave:

·
fka sjcfjc
138 Posts

sweet thanks. thats what im going for. thanks for your input!:rocker:
I have a silver-colored steel Lucrum mount, holding a Warn 8000 winch with synthetic line. Since I wanted the ability to self-recover, but keep the weight down, this setup seemed the best compromize.

The wiring to the winch control connector was extended and the connector fitted in the font grill, so that there's no need to open the hood when winching.

As for the suspension sag question, I have Icon coilovers and 285 tires. After the winch install, I noticed a little rubbing on hard steering lock and suspension compression (such as entering a parking lot). Increasing caster settings got rid of that.

I noticed minor increase in front-end dive on braking... nothing alarming and I quickly got used to it.

I did not notice any change in vehicle handling during normal driving.

Hope that helps! Good luck with whatever you choose!

Mark.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts

I believe the Lucrum without D-rings is 49 pounds. The Warn M8000 with synthetic line is 48 pounds, totaling 97 pounds. Taking off the wire rope and roller fairlead saved 25 pounds.

I measured 3/8 inch sag. It is a non-issue for me. Before I mounted the winch I spoke to Dan at Wheelersoffroad.com and if I do decide to lift the front I will go with OME 884s on my TT Bilsteins. With the OME I would expect just less than 2 inches of lift. I can notice the extra weight on the nose in a turn. I want to emphasize notice. It is a non-issue and I will probably not even notice it in a day or two.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

sweet thanks gentlemen. i have a spacer lift so im not too worried about 3/8" of sag... iguess i was more worried about how it handled the main driving performance... but i will take you word for it. thanks again. i should have it and mounted by next spring... i know thats a little ways away... but im starting a new job tomorrow and will need to save a little money. :)

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts

I am hoping someone with experience in these matters can help answer this question.....

If I go with a Lucrum (~60lbs) + Smittybilt xrc8 (~68lbs) I assume that my front will lower (of course right?). So, my question is what do I do about getting back this height?

I currently have the 07' TRD with the Bilstein TRD suspension. What do I need, spacers, replacement coil overs ????? I really have no idea. Someone please help!!
Cheapest route: Install spacers on the front coil. Not the best solution because what you need is stiffer coils since you have added more weight.

Better route: Install a stiffer coil like an OME. For ~130lbs, i'd recommend something like the 883 springs if trying to not lift it higher than the rear.

Better than that route: Install OME 883 or 884 coils and matching OME shocks up front.

Best route: Install adjustable coilovers.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts

I believe the Lucrum without D-rings is 49 pounds. The Warn M8000 with synthetic line is 48 pounds, totaling 97 pounds. Taking off the wire rope and roller fairlead saved 25 pounds.
True, synthetic winchline does reduce a lot of the weight.

I had thought the OP was trying to do this with a small budget as they mentioned so i was not taking into account spending an extra 250-300 bucks on synthetic winchline.

If they can afford synth. line, that is a great idea unless they live in an area that is really rocky. I wouldn't run synthetic line if i normally wheeled rocky areas.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts

Cheapest route: Install spacers on the front coil. Not the best solution because what you need is stiffer coils since you have added more weight.

Better route: Install a stiffer coil like an OME. For ~130lbs, i'd recommend something like the 883 springs if trying to not lift it higher than the rear.

Better than that route: Install OME 883 or 884 coils and matching OME shocks up front.

Best route: Install adjustable coilovers.
Thanks Layonnn....this helps. It was all getting confusing and this is a great list of options that I can now research. I appreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts

I also have the 07' TRD Bilstein TRD (Red/Blue) suspension on my TI. I went with the ("popularly called") cheap route lift by just adding the 2" aluminum spacers in the front and 1.5" polyurethane in the rear springs.

I installed the Lucrum winch mount, Warn 8000 winch, (3) All-Pro skids, brush/push guard, ARB 1/2 rack with Hi-lift more than 2-years ago and recently added the DP 2nd battery kit with Odyssey battery.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/group-buys/45265-lucrum-mount-here-group-buy-9.html#post836492

With the combine weights of the above added options/upgrades, still maintain these ground to black fender lip height and still (almost) maintain a level look.

Front - 36 3/4"
Rear - 37 1/4"

BTW, I have the BFG KM2 T/A (285/70/R17) and no rubbing at all at full steering lock and during suspension flexing.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts