Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm installing a come up winch in the FJ, but have to relocate the winch control box into the engine apartment. Due to the added length of the cables, I had to increase the gauge, w
hich ultimately made them too big to fit into the control box. My buddy and I decided to fabricate a new box to accommodate the cables. The whole setup is going to be mounted on a Powertray next to the fuse box. We mocked up a box with a small pelican case I had, and it looks so good I'm actually considering sticking with it. Does this sound like a bad idea? The case is pretty tough, and will handle temps around 220F. Would it just be safer to find a metal junction box of the same dimensions and put all the electrics in that? I was wondering since the fuse box is plastic and is essentially in the same place. I wont be offended if this is a stupid idea and you let me know that...I want to do this the right way.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Slow progress due to having to clear some room in the engine bay for these big ass cables. At the moment, I'm considering where to stash what I believe is the fuel pump resistor. Little gizmo with 2 switch plugged into it and a small heat sink on the side. I have room to swing it over next to the brake fluid assembly, but I'm curious how hot this bugger gets.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finished the project today. I'm very happy with the result. The compact nature of the MT Phantom bumper definitely made things more complicated, but we adapted and found a solution. I measured my cables a tad bit too long, but it's better than being a tad too short. Feel much better knowing I have a winch on board for winter wheeling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts