Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser 6MT Sunfusion
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished installing my Smittybilt XRC-8 in a Lucrum mount and decided to install a disconnect switch between the hot wire going from the battery to the winch control box. I was just not comfortable with the winch circuit being live all the time. I also plan to add a high amperage terminal mount fuse between the + battery terminal and the + cable going to the disconnect switch. Switch is a BEP Marine #701{$23} and the bracket was made from a piece of 16 gauge sheet steel purchased from Home Depot. Switch is rated 275 amps continuous use and 450 amps intermittent use{5min}

Bibb in San Antonio

Attachments

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
smart move :) good job on the install of it..

in some areas the "thugs" are pretty mean.. hit free spool on winch .. unwind cable connect hook to rear hitch going over the top of the vehicle.. insert piece of wire on controller plug and then sit back at a distance and watch the show..

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Good job.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
I keep mine disconnected but use a wing nut on the TOP battery terminal with RV Pos and Neg battery mounts for easy plug in. I saw a truck burn to the ground after a rear end incident because of the winch and no fuse. Not sure on the draw but if it works that is an awesome idea but could still start a fire if you rear end someone. Is that a ON, OFF switch?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I keep mine disconnected but use a wing nut on the TOP battery terminal with RV Pos and Neg battery mounts for easy plug in. I saw a truck burn to the ground after a rear end incident because of the winch and no fuse. Not sure on the draw but if it works that is an awesome idea but could still start a fire if you rear end someone. Is that a ON, OFF switch?
Yes. that is an ON-OFF switch
I would think installing a fuse at the battery terminal would greatly lessen the chance of a fire if I rear end someone. Am I totally fooling myself about this being safer? Would like to hear opinions on this.

Bibb in San Antonio

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
I love the idea of a safer solution which is why I do the wing nut thing and 2 gauge wire with better grounding to my battery. Great question for smarter people than I:) Wish you the best and again great question!!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Good idea. And no you are not fooling yourself that this is safer. To make it even safer would it be possible to route the kill switch external to the engine bay? The reason I ask is what happens if the winch starts on fire and you have to pop the hood to get to the kill switch. This would take more time and as we all know, time with a fire is critical. Also the possibility of burnt hands as you have to release the safety catch to get the hood up. Just wondering.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good idea. And no you are not fooling yourself that this is safer. To make it even safer would it be possible to route the kill switch external to the engine bay? The reason I ask is what happens if the winch starts on fire and you have to pop the hood to get to the kill switch. This would take more time and as we all know, time with a fire is critical. Also the possibility of burnt hands as you have to release the safety catch to get the hood up. Just wondering.
My idea behind the switch was to have it in the off position until I need to use the winch. I also wanted it as close to the battery as possible. I guess you have a point about mounting it external like on a race car. Some winch manufacturers recommend winching with the hood open. My winch control box is mounted under the hood, so I don't have to worry about vandals messing with the winch. I guess mounting the switch external is an option worth looking at.

Bibb in San Antonio

·
Registered
131 Posts
well if i put a cut off on the winch battery when i turn it on i have five min's of bleping every time. its a come up winch ? so cant put a cut offf but something is makeing my battery go down after 5 days ???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts