Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been running steel cable for over twenty years and its time I step into the 1990s. Im switching to synthetic line but I dont know how to secure it to the winch drum. Do you mount it like cable or use something else?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
There's usually a screw that connects to the end of the winchline. The end of line should look like your positive connection from the winch itself to the battery. Screw the bolt through that loop and onto the winch. The loops is just to hold it in place while you spool. DO NOT expect it to hold the line when you completely spool out. The tension from the line wrapping around itself and onto the drum is what's keeping the line from coming loose. What I've done with mine is to pull the line across the drum and start spooling from the far side of the screw so the first wrap will end at the screw. If you have a hard time with that, try using a piece of tape to just hold the line in place until the first wrap is complete. You need to do it with some tension. Good luck.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both. I appreciate the help. RH

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
There's usually a screw that connects to the end of the winchline. The end of line should look like your positive connection from the winch itself to the battery. Screw the bolt through that loop and onto the winch. The loops is just to hold it in place while you spool. DO NOT expect it to hold the line when you completely spool out. The tension from the line wrapping around itself and onto the drum is what's keeping the line from coming lose. What I've done with mine is to pull the line across the drum and start spooling from the far side of the screw so the first wrap will end at the screw. If you have a hard time with that, try using a piece of tape to just hold the line in place until the first wrap is complete. You need to do it with some tension. Good luck.

X2
I "spool" my winch under load prior to every trip, it is on the check list.......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts