Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here it is.... I managed to get the winch body mounted (no easy feat as there is a lack of access to the mounting points) but now my issue is that I have no idea where to mount the control box for it. Certainly nothing is jumping out at me for a solution but I cant imagine a bumper built for a winch wouldnt be compatible with a warn product. Obviously I am missing something here.
So if there is anyone with a Demello bumper that has mounted a winch I would really like to hear how you managed it.

Demello bumper
Warn m8000 winch

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
I mounted the control box/solenoid off to the side of the winch. I took a piece of sheet metal to sandwich the mounting bracket to the bumper. If I get a chance I will snap some shots in the morning.

The connector is accessible from the front of the bumper.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
I mounted mine inside the bumper on the drivers side... It's a titan winch, so the control bax is aluminum, so I drilled some holes in the side of the bumper and bolted it in.. You could make a braket ot position yours where you want I sure, or bolt directly to the flat...

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for taking the time to post pics and responding Bandi...
Unfortunately my cables coming out of the control box are to short to make the connection that is on the passenger side of the winch if I were to mount it on the drivers side where there is more room. I also like how your box the remotes connection is on the narrow side of the box instead of the biggest side of the box like warns.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
^^^ Any auto part store has longer cables to move it where you would like... I have a carquest by me that has every length avail'... marine stores too... you could put the control box under the hood with utilizing longer cables, moving the opentype warn box up and in a more safer position (depending on you wheeling use)....

Here is an option someone else did, moving the remote plug location outside the control box....

This would be a nice option for you, and what I would do, for access to the remote plug. I would prolly get a small holesaw and mount the outlet forward.... the remote plug has smaller wires and can be extended easily...

Duncan (titan winches owner) will set the winches up with the length wires ahaead of time if you know where you are going to mount everything, that's why mine is where it is, otherwise, my cables would have been shorter too....

·
Registered
272 Posts
Mounted mine behind the grills and cut out a little of the grille for easy access to the controller connector. Had to be mounted upside down because the cables were just long enough. Made my own bracket for it. I do have a wireless remote and the wired is only if the wireless fails for some reason.

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
I did the same thing as sethman916. I had to move one of the horns to make enough room.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
One thing I did with mine was to add a wing nut to the TOP Mount of my battery so I could connect the winch easy. I once saw a guy with a winch rear end a truck and the winch with no fuse obviously ended up catching his rig on fire. Another thing to remember is to NEVER hook the winch up to the side posts on a dual post battery. I've seen Optima batteries melt from the power draw a winch creates.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am liking the looks of this option...

Random pic but now I'm craving some seafood...

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
^^^ That LOOKS YUMMY ! ! ! ;)

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
LOL Sorry wrong pic. It was a good dinner I sent the pic to my girlfriend who was working last night:) She didn't think it was funny

All burnt up sucks

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys for all the input! You got me to thinking about the different options and I finally came up with something that worked for me.

Using 2 large L brackets that I notched to fit snugly into the funky back plate of the control box...

I was able to use existing holes in the bumper to mount it to.

Once mounted, it set back from the front opening in the bumper just enough so that the plug for the remote is inset and pretty well protected.

Finished product all mounted up!

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Love the Control box location ! :bigthumb:

Very NOICE !....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts