Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen pics with and with out the winch. For those who were at SEMA, which is it ??

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Definitely with. Although the two they had that were functional models at SEMA, one was winchless (yellow). The other was the souped up model with the ARB front bumper and a warn winch mounted on the front and in the receiver hitch on the rear.

I will get one with a winch with any luck, just depends on how much it raises the price. I'm 30 and have never needed one so if it puts the truck out of my price range for a "just in case" mod, then I'll leave it off. It sure looked badass with it though.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Percy said:
Definitely with. Although the two they had that were functional models at SEMA, one was winchless (yellow). The other was the souped up model with the ARB front bumper and a warn winch mounted on the front and in the receiver hitch on the rear.
Seems like something you don't have to decide on immediately.

That ARB bumper is sick. Totally makes the vehicle.

Cheers,
prat

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
if the pricing of the bumper is anything like similar ARB models it will run 600-1000, most likely somewhere in between, say 750-850. a winch should run anywhere from $399 (mile marker PE8000 8000 lb capacity) to $599 (warn m8000 8000 capacity) or above if you want to go overkill. assuming that the FJC is going to be in the region of 4000 lbs curb weight (v6 05 4x4 4runner is 4300) all you are "supposed" to have is 6000 lbs (1.5x vehicle weight), but considering your load and how bad you are may be mired 8000 lbs is about right.

Another way to go would be to get a front reciever hitch and then just have one winch in a cradle with hookups at both ends.

i figure 1000-1200 for a decent ARB/winch combo. figure some markup if you get it through the stealership (might be worth it if the factory warranty covers hop-ups bought through the stealer), maybe 1500-1600? Just a guess.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
praetorian said:
Seems like something you don't have to decide on immediately.
Very true, get the bumper now, the winch when you have more play money again...

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
praetorian said:
That ARB bumper is sick. Totally makes the vehicle.

Cheers,
prat

I have to agree with Prat . that bumper is sick!!. The stealerships would charge out the ass, but have to think about the warranty with it. It does make the front of the truck !

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
It almost makes it an entirely different vehicle. The stocker looks humble and even-tempered. The one with ARB front end looks like a monster. That is definitely a worthwhile expense. A steel front end that screams, "go ahead punk, cut me off!"

·
Registered
204 Posts
Percy said:
It almost makes it an entirely different vehicle. The stocker looks humble and even-tempered. The one with ARB front end looks like a monster. That is definitely a worthwhile expense. A steel front end that screams, "go ahead punk, cut me off!"
The complete candy-ass-ness of modern bumpers astounds me.

Cheers,
prat

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Because I am obsessing a little bit about this I called ARB North America the other day and talked to them about that bumper. As most of you know that was a prado bumper retro'd to fit the FJ. They said they will release a FJ bumper that looks very similar to the Prado one around the same time the FJ launches. They estimated the cost at $850

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Granger - you RULE. So maybe we won't have to bother with it as a Toyota dealer expense. $850 sounds better than the $1K Toyota rumored it would cost from a dealer.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
heh heh, thanks Percy. Keep in mind that is the cost of the bumper only. You still have to factor in install, unless you plan on doing it yourself.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
So long as it doesn't void my warranty, I'd be happy to do it myself. It can't be as difficult as an engine swap and hell - those aren't all that tough to begin with. It is just a bumper. I wonder if Road Armor will build an FJ bumper. Their bumpers look like something out of the Road Warrior. Granted they're priced like a down payment on a house, but they look really vicious.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Is it equally as easy to disable said airbags? Might be more incentive for doing the bumper swap myself. Airbags are a waste. If the crash doesn't knock you out cold, the deployment of the airbag, might. Besides, if they'd give up airbags, you could probably mount the GPS in the center of the steering wheel. That would be kind of cool. I see airbags on an off-road vehicle as more work than what they're worth. What's going to happen the first time you fail to negotiate an obstacle properly and bounce the front end off a tree or a rock? Air bag deployment? Then you're stuck on the trail simply because your airbag deployed? That would be so incredibly lame.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
Personally i think federal mandates that manufacturers have to OFFER safety stuff is good. Regulations that MANDATE that vehicles have to have them are dumb, as are laws requiring that you utilize said safety devices (seatbelts, anyone?). if people are dumb enough not to wear their seatbelt, then they probably dont have the kind of traits i want to see contributed to the gene pool...

Definately need a bullbar of some sort, that chinsy plastic just not only looks lame, it wont hold up under real off-road usage.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Well that's pretty much my thought. One impact with a large rock and you have $1400 worth of front plastic to replace. Just give us the ARB steel front end and let us go on our merry way! At least that way when the rock jumps out in front of me I can smash it and only have to respray a small piece of the front bumper instead of replacing the entire front end.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Percy said:
What's going to happen the first time you fail to negotiate an obstacle properly and bounce the front end off a tree or a rock? Air bag deployment? Then you're stuck on the trail simply because your airbag deployed? That would be so incredibly lame.

Good point!----Where are the switches located?----Near the bumper?-----Has anyone had this happen on the trail?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I think have it solved, check out my gallery you will see the Yellow FJ from SEMA with the ARB bumper installed. I would bet that if you simply disconnect the Airbag switch that is mounted on the plastic of the lame stock front end, and move it to say, the steel frame piece that you mount the bumper to, that should solve the airbag action.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts