Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've done a search of the forum and found some good info, but I have some specific questions concerning winches.

I have a Demello front bumper on order and I'd like to install a winch at the same time I install the bumper. Not sure which winch to get though. Leaning toward the Warn based on their reputation and the fact that we've had one on my wife's jeep for several years without issue.

My questions are;

1. Which model? I'm thinking about the M8000, but on GoWarn.com, I see three M8000 models with different prices ranging from $538 to over $800. Specs don't show any difference other than 80 feet of cable versus 100 feet and roller fairlead versus hawse fairlead.

2. I'd prefer synthetic rope to steel cable. Can I get the M8000 with synthetic, or am I going to have to purchase the rope separately?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
My questions are;

1. Which model? I'm thinking about the M8000, but on GoWarn.com, I see three M8000 models with different prices ranging from $538 to over $800. Specs don't show any difference other than 80 feet of cable versus 100 feet and roller fairlead versus hawse fairlead.
The Demello bumper was designed with the M8000 in mind, so that is a good choice. There is only one model of M8000 winch, with the only choice the roller or hawse fairlead. Prices vary dramatically between retailers as you have found out.

2. I'd prefer synthetic rope to steel cable. Can I get the M8000 with synthetic, or am I going to have to purchase the rope separately?
Warn doesn't offer that winch with synthetic line, so you'll have to buy the synthetic rope separately from Viking, Masterpull, Rockstomper, or any number of other vendors.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hey guys, I've done a search of the forum and found some good info, but I have some specific questions concerning winches.

I have a Demello front bumper on order and I'd like to install a winch at the same time I install the bumper. Not sure which winch to get though. Leaning toward the Warn based on their reputation and the fact that we've had one on my wife's jeep for several years without issue.

My questions are;

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick
I just put a M8000 in. Great winch. Just get the $538 one. The others are 24v and something else. they come with steel cable. I replaced mine with the 100' synthetic line from smittybilt. it came with a free hawse fairlead. Out the door with Tax I paid $800. I just wired up one of those blue $40 wireless remote. it worked out real well. The receiver fits entirely inside the warn relay box.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Smity Bilt has a 8000 with synthetic rope. Under $600 I believe

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have a Warn M8000 on my FJ and really like it, I just ordered one today for my FJ40. 539.00

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I ordered an M8000 yesterday from side by side auto. They had an online coupon for $50 off their regular price of $539, so got it for $489 and no tax and free shipping!

Rick

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I ordered an M8000 yesterday from side by side auto. They had an online coupon for $50 off their regular price of $539, so got it for $489 and no tax and free shipping!

Rick
Hi Rick...can you please post the link. I could not find a side by side auto on google. Thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi Rick...can you please post the link. I could find a side by side auto on google. Thanks.
Found it...street side auto. Solid deal.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a question in regards to all these winches that people are buying. Isn't it a general rule of thumb to utilize a winch that is rated for double the weight of the vehicle it is towing out? So if you are trying to pull yourself out with your FJ weighing around 4500lbs, isn't a 9k winch in order? I am still waiting to purchase one until I found out more about this.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I have a question in regards to all these winches that people are buying. Isn't it a general rule of thumb to utilize a winch that is rated for double the weight of the vehicle it is towing out? So if you are trying to pull yourself out with your FJ weighing around 4500lbs, isn't a 9k winch in order? I am still waiting to purchase one until I found out more about this.
The general rule of thumb is 1.5x gvwr. ~4500 lbs is the curb weight not the gvwr.

Curb weight for an AT 4x4 is 4332lbs
GVWR is 5570lbs.

So 1.5 x 5570lbs = 8355lbs

Hence, why most choose between an 8K and 9.5K lbs winch. I had an 8K FJC and never had any issues using it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have the Warn M-8000. I've used it a bunch of times and have not found a situation yet that I've desired more winch. The trick is to get down to the first or second layer of cable for every pull. That's where the power is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts