Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a little bored over the weekend and thought I'd try to fabricate some window screens for the FJ for some extended car camping. Used some fiberglass no-see-um screen, fiberglass rods, sticky back Velcro, sew-on Velcro, and some thread to fasten the Velcro & rod to the screen. Still a work in progress and more field testing to do as well. Installed and can be removed in seconds and allow you to open and close your doors without having to touch the screens.

Place fiberglass rod in between window framehttp://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=124

Attach the sides and then the top

Window Screen update 4 September 2010: Here is a preview of the rear window screen i have been working on and near completion. Basically the same concept as the front screens I have fabricated, but velcroed around the whole window. When using all three screens it provides excellent cross ventilation.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried the magnetic strips and didn't have very good holding power...also kinda hard to attach to the screen. I think there is already a product out there called Skeeter beater and that fastens to the outside of the window. The Velcro also lets you really stretch the screens nice and tight too.

·
fka trailman
849 Posts
very nice!!!! if only you posted this two weeks ago. i was thinking of doing this when i went camping up at north- south lake. where can i get everything for this home depot? thanks good job

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought everything at Lowes except for the sew on Velcro and the needle and thread that I picked up at Joe-ann fabrics.

·
Registered
77 Posts
There is definately a market for this. Interested in mass producing?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I have the Skeeter Beater mesh window covers. Yours look much better and probably don't fall down when you close the opposite door (due to the pressure change). Great work!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is definately a market for this. Interested in mass producing?
Maybe....... this is still a prototype and will need to prefect the design a bit...... i would like to use screen material used for tents with the same no-see-um netting.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Awesome job. That is what I would love to do. How well do you think magnets would work to secure it instead of Velcro?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome job. That is what I would love to do. How well do you think magnets would work to secure it instead of Velcro?
Unless you can find some stronger magnets than refrigerator magnets it won't work very good at all, besides with the door closed you can't even see the velcro and it can be fairly easily removed with a hair dryer and some Goo Gone cleaner to clean up the left over adhesive.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Wow, great idea! There's been a few times where I've slept in the FJ on warm nights, and with the windows cracked or open the skeeters ate me up...

These sure woulda come in handy, for sure!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, great idea! There's been a few times where I've slept in the FJ on warm nights, and with the windows cracked or open the skeeters ate me up...

These sure woulda come in handy, for sure!
I will also be working on a rear window screen in the next few weeks of similar design minus the fiberglass rod...... this should help keep the inside temps nice and comfy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey Tonkaaa,

Looks great! Thanks for sharing your build. A few questions:

1) What length, and diameter (or other specs/model) fiberglass rod did you use? Did you cut it to length?

2) What width velcro tape, 1/2"?

3) Did you just rely on the sticky back's adhesive? Or did you use additional rubber cement, etc?

4) Any changes you're thinking of thus far?

I'm playing around with the back window, too--will require some finagling because of pneumatic lifts getting in the way; think I'll have to put it well on the inside of the truck, and work around the raised window latch mechanism.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Nice, this would have great to have in Moab due to the flies and in Ouray. I was suprised at the amount of flying bugs in both places. If your going to sell a pair of these I'm in.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Are you willing to show the specs for your screen construction? Or are you going to produce these and sell them? I'm interested either way.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts