2,377 Posts
that is a great idea!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hey Tonkaaa,

Looks great! Thanks for sharing your build. A few questions:

1) What length, and diameter (or other specs/model) fiberglass rod did you use? Did you cut it to length?

2) What width velcro tape, 1/2"?

3) Did you just rely on the sticky back's adhesive? Or did you use additional rubber cement, etc?

4) Any changes you're thinking of thus far?

I'm playing around with the back window, too--will require some finagling because of pneumatic lifts getting in the way; think I'll have to put it well on the inside of the truck, and work around the raised window latch mechanism.
Sorry for the delayed response i've been away from the forum for a bitt.

I'll try and answer some of your questions:

1) Fiberglass rods need to be cut to length ( need to be snug)
2) The Velcro is the standard 1/2" I beleave
3) Currently using the stickyback on the door frames ( you will need to cut the velcro strips in half down the middle to get them to fit in the small channel)...... I haven't used any additional cement thus far, but have noticed that when removing the screens when the car has been sitting in the sun and in the 90's or hotter... the adhesive starts to soften up a bitt.
4) The only changes I've made since my original post is dealing with the gap below the fiberglass rods. I have now added some foam below the rod to deel with this and provides an even better seal.

The rear window screen is near completion and will be posting pics soon...

I work out of town during the week.... and for the past couple of months have been car camping out of the FJ (3 to 4 nights per week) depending on the work week. The screens get installed and removed every night and are holding up very well. I can see the weekend car camper using these for several seasons......:)

·
Registered
215 Posts
I made the same kind of thing using no-see-um netting.

After I cut the netting to shape, I then edged it using some duct tape to stop the edges fraying.

Then I used some self adhesive magnetic strips from Ace hardware stuck to the duct tape.

I was concerned the magnetic strips might not stay on the duct tape, but so far I have used them on 6 or 7 weekend camp trips this summer and they held up fine.

The netting just covers the outside window frame so that the door can still open/close. The magnetic strips dont mark the car, and hold strong enough to pull the netting tight without any gaps.

And they held strong enough during 2 pretty bad storms when I was camping in Brown County State Park earlier this year!

Did the same thing for the rear taligate window too but didnt need any magnetic strips, it just holds in place when the door is closed... plenty of cross ventilation with both front windows and the rear window open.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Would definitely be interested in a set if you decided to produce a couple to sell.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts

After I cut the netting to shape, I then edged it using some duct tape to stop the edges fraying.

Then I used some self adhesive magnetic strips from Ace hardware stuck to the duct tape.

I was concerned the magnetic strips might not stay on the duct tape, but so far I have used them on 6 or 7 weekend camp trips this summer and they held up fine.

The netting just covers the outside window frame so that the door can still open/close. The magnetic strips dont mark the car, and hold strong enough to pull the netting tight without any gaps.

And they held strong enough during 2 pretty bad storms when I was camping in Brown County State Park earlier this year!

Did the same thing for the rear taligate window too but didnt need any magnetic strips, it just holds in place when the door is closed... plenty of cross ventilation with both front windows and the rear window open.
That's what I am going to do... thanks! That is a pure K.I.S.S. mod! ;)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Maybe....... this is still a prototype and will need to prefect the design a bit...... i would like to use screen material used for tents with the same no-see-um netting.
If you need a manufacture let me know. I have domestic sewers as well as a rad network of overseas manufactures. This could be done for next to nothing overseas and a bit more here.

Daniel

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
If you need a manufacture let me know. I have domestic sewers as well as a rad network of overseas manufactures. This could be done for next to nothing overseas and a bit more here.

Daniel
Daniel,
Thanks for the offer...... Thinking of using a local shop in Missoula to keep the money a little closer to home.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

I'd love to see some pics of your setup....

·
Registered
952 Posts
I would definitely be interested if this goes into production.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Here is a preview of the rear window screen i have been working on and near completion. Basically the same concept as the front screens I have fabricated, but velcroed around the whole window. When using all three screens it provides excellent cross ventilation.

Window with velcro installed

Window with screen installed

Rear window screen

Rear window screen

·
fka trailman
849 Posts
nice going. i like it

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thanks Capto._bucko and Dissident....... I hope to put the finishing touches on all three screens and figure out my cost on these before I attempt to sell any of these to the public. My daughter just bought a 4 door Jeep Wrangler and I might try making some screens for jeep doors as well.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
I thought the ones on the doors where cool... but the rear window is awesome. :rocker:

·
Registered
444 Posts
fantastic idea!!! perfect for truck camping, always forgot to unroll the window, damn lack of oxygen...

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
man thats a great camping mod i want a set imm gunna go to bear island with the gang and sleep in my FJ . CONTAtac me if u got a set 4 sale . thanks mark

21 - 40 of 51 Posts