Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got the front door window's done last Saturday with 15%, matched up with the rear's nice, witch I added 5% to the factory tint. Well, I've been driving this same area for 5 or 6 years with a ZR2 with the same tint on the windows & no problems. One week with the FJ done & got nailed last nite. Doing nothing wrong, going 25mph in a 35 zone, using blinker to pull into Sheetz for a coffee at 10:00 or 10:30. Flashing light's the whole bit,I thought someone was robbing the store or something. He's giving me 5 day's to bring it down so he can see that I removed the tint. What an A-hole,there go's $80 bucks:flame:. I can sit on that same street & count 50 cars going by with tinted windows in 15 min.'s, some even have what looks like 5% on the entire windshield. Had a buddy check the cop out to see if he's a ballbuster & sure enough, he'll be looking for me, that kind of guy. I wanted to chance it, but the fine here is $375.00. To big of a risk for me. Thanks for reading, just needed to vent.............:mecry:

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
I can sit on that same street & count 50 cars going by with tinted windows in 15 min.'s, some even have what looks like 5% on the entire windshield.
I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune.

As for the above quote, have you ever gone fishing?

Ever catch every fish?

You were that one fish.

Again, I'm sorry for your misfortune.

I've done 35% on the front driver and passenger windows, just dark enough to make it hard to see who is driving at night but light enough not to draw attention to me.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Sorry to hear that, but I guees the guy was having a bad day and decied to bust someone for the smallest thing.

·
Registered
547 Posts
that really sucks... my old car had double limo all the way around for years and never got busted, sucks that you caught a nut buster

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
My boss is an officer and fleet manager for his PD, and told me a story that back in 01 an officer stopped a car, aproched a car with tintied front windows at night. Driver cracked the windows and shot him in the neck. Died on the way to the hospital. you may think your getting picked on, and i'm sorry it happened to you only a few days after you got your tint done, but there is a reason there are no tint laws. While i'm sure you mean no harm, others don't and it is an officer saftey issue. I too have mine tinted but at 35%. Haven't stopped in over 2 years, but if i do, i'll exept the concequences without sobbing.
Please note i'm not saying your sobbing about being pulled over, just that if i ever get caught myself, i won't complain since i knew the law before i put the tint on.

·
Registered
831 Posts
its ok same crap happened to me. Now i guess we have to pay for there gas to extra surcharges for them to sit on there butt.

·
Registered
831 Posts
you havent heard about that law there going to be enforcing in some counties get pulled over for speeding you have to pay a extra 10-20 surcharge extra for the cops fuel. Because i guess some counties or states cant control how they spend there damn money. Pisses me off

·
Registered
446 Posts
Some Cops need to find something better to do

I had one chase me down 2 miles from their useless waste of tax payers $$ seat belt checks ( If you don't want to wear your seat belt that should be your business not the police) A DWI Check point if fine but a seatbelt check point? I guess they need an excuse to hang out and BS and drink coffee together while reaching their ticket quotas

Couldn't go faster than 2MPH thru it as there were like 4 State Park police and 3 State Troopers at the check point
I had the windows 1/2 down and waved in acknowledgment as I went by
2 miles later some old Fat Jelly donut eating State Park police chases me down like I am a bank robber or something and comes up to me with his $h1+ a$$ attitude and breaks out a Window Tint meter. Are you kidding me!!

If he pulled me over at the check point and said your windows are too dark I would have no problem with it because I know they are over the limit. I use my truck for business and usually have customers computer equipment in it along with the Nav unit in th dash and want to keep prying eyes out.

But I guess he had to justify his miserable exsistance and use like 5 gallons of gas to race after me with lights a sirens on, and break out a tint meter is a joke

I called my friend who is a St Louis Swat Officer. His job is to go out into the worst crime areas EVERY night and do at least one FELONY arrest every shift. Thats police work. Anyway he got a good laugh and said some guys take it too far. I paid the ticket and the windows are still tinted. I now roll the windows down when going thru the quota making check points

Sorry for the rant and apologies to all the Good respectable officers out there

·
Registered
831 Posts
ya i also want to appolgize for my rant but there are some nice cops and than some asses i guess i live around a lot of bad ones like 90% of them.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
sorry to hear, but it's like doing 5 over the speed limit, sometimes it's cool but that one guy wants something to do and you were it. I still plan on matching my windows to the rear. Dave, please dont pull me over.lol

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
Some Cops need to find something better to do

I had one chase me down 2 miles from their useless waste of tax payers $$ seat belt checks ( If you don't want to wear your seat belt that should be your business not the police) A DWI Check point if fine but a seatbelt check point? I guess they need an excuse to hang out and BS and drink coffee together while reaching their ticket quotas

Couldn't go faster than 2MPH thru it as there were like 4 State Park police and 3 State Troopers at the check point
I had the windows 1/2 down and waved in acknowledgment as I went by
2 miles later some old Fat Jelly donut eating State Park police chases me down like I am a bank robber or something and comes up to me with his $h1+ a$$ attitude and breaks out a Window Tint meter. Are you kidding me!!

If he pulled me over at the check point and said your windows are too dark I would have no problem with it because I know they are over the limit. I use my truck for business and usually have customers computer equipment in it along with the Nav unit in th dash and want to keep prying eyes out.

But I guess he had to justify his miserable exsistance and use like 5 gallons of gas to race after me with lights a sirens on, and break out a tint meter is a joke

I called my friend who is a St Louis Swat Officer. His job is to go out into the worst crime areas EVERY night and do at least one FELONY arrest every shift. Thats police work. Anyway he got a good laugh and said some guys take it too far. I paid the ticket and the windows are still tinted. I now roll the windows down when going thru the quota making check points

Sorry for the rant and apologies to all the Good respectable officers out there
If you were truly sorry, you would have realized your statement was an over-generalization and flawed from the start, and not posted it. You have no clue why we do what we do. If you know the law (like wearing your seat belt) and refuse to do so, expect to get called on it. Don't be mad at the officers for your stupid mistake. Take responsibility for your actions, then, after you have done that, learn from your mistakes and move on.

Ok, sorry for my rant, and my apologies to all the GOOD FJ drivers out there.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I see that they are seething, but I am steely in my resolve. I tell them, 'Sign here, press hard, there's three copies.':bandit:

Oh, and for all of you that roll down the windows AFTER you see the cop and he already saw you, its not Kings X, its a violation. Don't be mad if you get cited.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
When pulled over (and you have tint) roll both windows down, turn off FJ and set keys on dash, have license, rego, and insurance in hand, and both hands in clear view, all before officer reaches your door. I you find out you have been pulled over for tint explain that you understand it is an officer safety issue and explain that's why you have done everything explained above, and that you would always do that..then give your reason (excuse which is most likely BS) as to why you tinted them so dark. Do this and don't be a d__k and every "cool" officer will let you off and even some of the borderline ones will be so thrown by the fact that you are so willing to cooperate and not be an a$$ that they will let you off also (and will actually thank YOU for being cool). If your in CA and get rolled by a CHP on a bike....sorry, you WILL get a ticket (but still do above and attempt to be the first to pull it off with a biker).With all the crazies in the world today I wouldn't want to not be able to see what I was walking into either...I know chances are slim... but I'm sure cops enjoy breathing just as much as the rest of us. And remember... if ever you are in some deep $h_t and need help, you are likely to call on these cops for help.

·
Registered
446 Posts
If you were truly sorry, you would have realized your statement was an over-generalization and flawed from the start, and not posted it. You have no clue why we do what we do. If you know the law (like wearing your seat belt) and refuse to do so, expect to get called on it. Don't be mad at the officers for your stupid mistake. Take responsibility for your actions, then, after you have done that, learn from your mistakes and move on.

Ok, sorry for my rant, and my apologies to all the GOOD FJ drivers out there.
Dave I do not know you personally bit I can see you took offense to my post and took it personally
Please do not take my comments personally and please do not attack me personally. I did not attack you! Remember this is a free country and there is this thing called freedom of speech

State Park Police should be watching the parks not giving window tint tickets outside the parks. I believe in the thought that if it is not affecting anyone else than its not a big deal. Not wearing a seatbelt is the stupidest law ever created. Is my not wearing a seatbelt that bad that it interferes with someone else? Is this The Soviet Union? Lets pay cops to give tickets for something that affect no one but the one not wearing it. Good Idea, I guess this is just a great ploy to increase the revenue of police departments.
Are there not enough real crimes in this country to keep police busy enough?
I personally knew of at least 2 women who were murdered. One in her real estate office and another in her home. Maybe the police were to busy giving seatbelt or window tint tickets at the time. Neither case was ever solved and no one was brought to justice.

Also isn't there an age and physical restriction for becoming a police officer. This Park cop looked like he could be my grandfather and if he had to chase a suspect on foot I am sure he would passed out as he had a MAJOR spare tire. And he had to wait for me to go thru the check point and to get a mile down the road to chase after me. Speeding thru traffic risking all those others on the road when he could have just give me the ticket at the checkpoint.

I know that the tint thing is an issue because Officers can not see in may be a safety issue for them. Frankly just pulling someone over is a safety issue for you officers as you never know who you are dealing with. So why would you want to potentially risk you life to give someone a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt

I stated early in my post that I knew my windows were over the limit and I am not questioning the ticket it self, just the manner it was distributed. You can do your job and not be a jerk

I have no problem taking responsibility for my actions and am the first one to admit my mistakes and always try to learn from them. But are we sheep and supposed to just go along with everything? When I took my road test at 16 there was no seatbelt law. Its hard to teach old dogs new tricks. I am uncomfortable driving with the seatbelt on. I almost never were it and will continue that even if is against the law. while it is "illegal" I believe it is a bad law and should be recommended not mandated.

As far as the window tint ticket goes. I did not hassle the officer, I did not challenge the ticket. I know the law. I paid the ticket. Still have the tint though and if I get another ticket I will pay that as well. When I do get pulled over (which is not that often since I try to obey the traffic laws) I immediately pull over to the safest location for the officer to get out. I also make sure to have my windows open and my hands on the wheel until the offier approches me to show I intend no harm.

I am a 40+ year old hard working generally law abiding citizen. Am I that bad of a person for not wearing a seatbelt and having a little to dark windows?
I also remember stopping to see if an offier needed assistance when his patrol car slid into a ditch the other day
I respect the good officers and realize that there are bad eggs in every bunch no matter what your occupation.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.