Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI... Anyone wanting to PROPERLY tint their front windows needs to add a felt strip to the inner piece of plastic that the Window slides through. You will note that the outer piece already has felt (not that it is needed for the purpose of tint). Over time the bare plastic will scratch your tint. It is very easy to apply once the door panel is off (which would be removed anyway for a proper tint job). Most cars already have felt on both pieces of rubber/plastic but our FJs do not!

Always best to have a pro do your tint. Cheap tint job is not good and good tint job is not cheap. Pre cut kits are not dead on and still require trimming. If you have OCD like me you will want the edges even around all the windows. My FJ was $270 all windows (any color...I went "limo") including a strip across the windshield. i have been using my tint guy for 5 years. Ask around as it's worth it to get a guy who knows his S**t.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Makes sense. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
some shops warranty the tinting job which allows you to take it in if it EVER gets damaged or develops bubbles. I think Suntex is one of the tinting types that has a lifetime warranty
Why deal with the hassle of having it re-done? Is the tint still covered if the work was done WRONG? what about when it just starts having minor scratching that appear as haze, and they say "there's nothing wrong here"

Wouldn't it just be easier to get it done right the first time?

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So a pro will be able to add the felt? Looking to have mine done and want it right! Or is this something I should do myself first? Any source for the felt?

Thanks for the tip.
A "PRO" should add the felt. This is nothing new....other cars like mustangs, et al need the same service. Maybe this would be a good way to screen for a good tint guy? Ask if there is anything special about tinting a FJ? No felt, no bueno.

I wouldn't think you would need to do it yourself if you have a good tint guy. Should be part of his regular gear. I don't know where to buy it but it comes in a roll with sticky on one side. All you have to do clean rubber with alcohol, remove paper backing, and apply. i guess placement is something the pros would be best at.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I was asking Questions on tint the other day. Great tip, I'll ask the tint guy to do the felt strip thing. He's going to take the door panel's off so I guess he knows what he's doing. $80.00 to do the front 2 door window's,Not too bad. I need to ask him the price for the rear door, looks like a pain in the a$$ with the defroster. Thanks again for the tip & good timing it's going in Saturday morning for the tint.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Actually to ensure the tint is never scratched, the piece the felt is being put on should be removed, especially in the desert, the dust and grit is angular here and cuts the tint on the window's way down when the felt holds grains of sand against the tint.

I did it to mine after the first set of tint got scratched...with felts.

·
Registered
268 Posts
For anyone that installed your own tint, Tintprotector.com sells a moleskin kit specifically for the FJ for $30.00.

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Someone in another thread ask tips about tininting...FJ wolf had great tips for installations and also mentions the felt.

Don't be afraid to dictate exactly what you expect from service folks. It is your money and there is plenty of competition out there. As for tinters, here's a few pointers...

• Ask a local Mercedes or BMW dealership who they recommend for tinting - as they tend to have very high standards.
  • At the tint shop, ask to see a recent vehicle they have done. Ask them to roll down the windows. The gap/line at the top edge should be sharp, straight, even and no more than 1/8" - any more and they just plain suck.
  • Look around their shop. Does it look clean, neat, tidy? If it doesn't, chances are their work isn't either.
  • Don't be afraid to demand their best tint guy... with at least five years experience. Any less than that and I'm sure they don't know which end of the vehicle is up.
  • Make sure they have done FJs before. They are not like cars or other trucks.
  • Ask them to explain the process to you. Make sure it includes removing the door panel, felting the inside window gasket and using computer-cut tint film. If ~I~ can afford a vinyl-cutter, so can a tint shop! :lol: If they say hand-cutting is better or that they don't need to remove the door panel, run!
  • Make visual and mental notes of the condition of your door panels. The tabs covering the screws are thin plastic. They will bend and pop under stress. A small plastic trim tool is all that's needed to gently ease out the screw-covers. If they are grabbing for a screwdriver, stop them and explain that this is not their daddy's Chevy. Note any scratches. If there are none before, there should be none after, and ask them how they remove the door panel. If they scratch their head and say "yank it," hand them a banana and walk out slowly - not turning your back on them. There is a panel-popping tool to gently remove door panels - make sure they have one.
  • Inspect the finished product closely. A few tiny bubbles in the film aren't bad and will "bake out" in the sun. Large bubbles or lines in the film won't - tell them to re-do it.
  • Lastly - Ask them to put little "idiot" stickers on the window up/down buttons. They are usually white with bold red lettering stating "DO NOT ROLL DOWN" and are invaluable as reminders when you stop by the Colon-Blast Burger Drive-Thru to pick up your giant McArtery-Clog Special for $1.99 and forget about your fresh new tint.
There. See, I am VERY picky too, and when it comes to Luna, it is like picking a surgeon for a serious operation. Shop around, get input from folks in the know, and always ask for a morning appointment when they are fresh and eager... never an afternoon or evening one when they're watching the clock to go home.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Howls,
FJ Wolf

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
dont know wtf this thread is about...but ive had my tints for a year now and no scratches without this felt....
x2 but i guess it can still happen. If I can live with them on my paint I can deal with them on my window if they ever happen

·
Registered
287 Posts
FYI... Anyone wanting to PROPERLY tint their front windows needs to add a felt strip to the inner piece of plastic that the Window slides through. You will note that the outer piece already has felt (not that it is needed for the purpose of tint). Over time the bare plastic will scratch your tint. It is very easy to apply once the door panel is off (which would be removed anyway for a proper tint job). Most cars already have felt on both pieces of rubber/plastic but our FJs do not!

Always best to have a pro do your tint. Cheap tint job is not good and good tint job is not cheap. Pre cut kits are not dead on and still require trimming. If you have OCD like me you will want the edges even around all the windows. My FJ was $270 all windows (any color...I went "limo") including a strip across the windshield. i have been using my tint guy for 5 years. Ask around as it's worth it to get a guy who knows his S**t.
Thanks, that explains why I see window streaks on the inside. Based on this I'm going to go the easy route and just use sunglasses more and forget tinting.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I tinted my windows myself with Llumar pre-cut tint off eBay and haven't had any problems in the 4 months I've had it. Only thing is the passenger is bubbling a bit, but that was my fault because I was too lazy to scrape the glue off. My $60 all around tint has held up fine and I'm just a rookie DIYer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts