Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't make it 1/4 of a mile in the summer without having them splattered all over my windshield. It is driving me nuts. Does anyone have a bug deflector on theirs that works good? I have it sitting up with a 3 inch susp the 285's so I'm sure this doesn't help. Any advice would be great besides wash my windows every 10 minutes :mecry:

Note: I drive about 20 miles to work each way to work on the highway

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
The only thing I can offer is to keep topping off your windshield washer fluid. Maybe some rainx or similar would help keep the guts from sticking and being washed off a lil easier

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have the Toyota deflector on mine.

I've noticed that with the deflector on the bug impacts have moved to the top 1/3 of the windshield. I keep my washer fluid full and use these wipers.

I have also noticed less impacts from smaller rocks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I installed a Form Fit on my FJ on Tuesday.

Haven't done any real driving since, but in the little I did I have seen
a few dead bodies on the deflector.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I'm not quite sure how much difference sitting 3" higher and on 285's would make, but I could suggest you move to a less bug-infested area. Maybe when you get out of the service, and by the way, thank for your service.:clap::clap:

Jerry :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
I must have went through a gallon of windshield cleaner on my way to key west the other month.

This stuff works pretty good

hmmm, I assume most auto-parts stores should carry that? I do a lot of highway driving and my windows are always splattered with bug guts. I need all the help I can get! I just filled up my washer fluid though :mecry:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Walmart usually has it in stock. I siphoned reservoir just to fill it up with the rainx cleaner on a friend's recommendation. Works way better than whatever Toyota puts in there.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I used to drive my FJ for work- all day on the road, everyday- & I am always along the river so there's extra, extra bugs flying around. The best thing to do would be to hit the washers as soon as you see or hear the "splat" so it doesn't dry on the glass. Then it's alot harder to get'm off. I'll have to try that glass treatment, couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I use rain-x. I don't find it any better than any other brand. When I get to where I'm going I use soapy water and a razor blade. You should see what happens during shad-fly season.

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
x2 on the razor blade. Hit your local Lowes or Home Depot, you can find a retractable razor balde scraper in the paint dept.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Rain X again...

I really just popped in to say hello to a fellow Jarhead!
Semper Fi, Marine! 0352 here... you guys only dropped a short one one me once!
Not bad!!

Going to the Summit this year?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Another vote for Rain-X washer fluid. It seems to work as well as the applied chemical and seems to keep things cleaner as well.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
There is a special washer fluid out there for bugs....can't remember what it is called but it works really well.

That and I keep a spray can of window cleaner in the back.

Doc

1 - 20 of 26 Posts