Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought a 2010 FJ in September and are now the proud owners of a big rock chip in the windshield. I remember reading something about issues with windshield repair when we were researching before we bought the vehicle. I am hoping the chip can be repaired but if we need a new windshield, what do we need to be worried about?

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've had several chips fixed, including a 6" crack, with no problems.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
what do we need to be worried about?
Everything.

I would make sure that the person, specifically that installer, has done multiple FJ Cruisers or do not let them touch your vehicle.

Many horror stories on this forum alone of botched windshield installs.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Ill tell you what you need to be worried about. That SOB costs about 800 bucks with the trim if the installer screws up the trim. Thats all........

i get rock chips all the time. Safelite will fix them for free under insurance.

some advice......dont get pissed and throw your blackberry on the dash to hard if you miss a flight. It may bounce up and hit your 800$$ windshield.......:)

·
Registered
542 Posts
On my second windshield. It was done by safelite and was covered by insurance

I can't say I'm 100% satisfied but it seems like I could've ended worst.

I'll probably call them again when the weather gets better. It chipped again from a long road trip.

P.S. Make sure they bring in the white plastic piece, and factory trims as well. If your insurance or you are paying for it, make sure they do replace everything.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
FJ and Mini Cooper have the worst windshield for rocks. They are so vertical they just dont bounce off . Its always a direct hit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks...we also own a Honda Element so we know all about windshields.

so if we need to get it replaced, it's ok to use the insurance companies glass installer? just make sure they have done FJ's before (how do you know this because I am sure they will tell us yes) and that they bring the trim? I don't think the trim has ever been replaced on the element when they replace the windshield.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
thanks...we also own a Honda Element so we know all about windshields.

so if we need to get it replaced, it's ok to use the insurance companies glass installer? just make sure they have done FJ's before (how do you know this because I am sure they will tell us yes) and that they bring the trim? I don't think the trim has ever been replaced on the element when they replace the windshield.
safelite had the dealer do mine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts