Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i had this nasty crack in the windshield that would cause me to fail inspection. I have full coverage for the windshield so i had insurace take care of it and pay my cheaper than reg. deductible. Safelite was the recommended company and they could get them to do it at my house in 2 days from the time i called

The guy comes out, says he has done FJ's before, and he seems competent. Said it should take about 45 minutes. Goes to put the first one in, cracks it as he is putting it in place, says he will be back in about 20 to go get a new glass. 1.5 hours later he shows up with a new glass.
While he was gone, i noticed one of the infamous clips on the upper molding was broken when he removed it. He says he has more clips and will replace it (will find out if that is true later).
So he gets the new one installed, i pay him and then continue with my yard work allowing the FJ to sit about 5 hours before i drive it.

Two days later i finally have a chance to give it a look over. The upper molding is sitting about 1cm further out than it should be. When he pryed off the moulding, he basically used a flat head screwdriver and it made a bunch of nicks down to the metal in the paint on the roof. He also nicked the molding. And there is a few scratches on my A-pillar from something he did.

I called my insurance company today (hopefully they will take care of everything with safelite and i don't have to do much work) and the lady that deals with glass stuff works 6am-2pm so she woulod have to call me back tomorrow.

This is once again, another reason i HATE having anyone other than myself work on the FJ.

I will keep you posted, and maybe get some pics tomorrow when there is some sunlight.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Seems to happen every time, doesn't it. I believe the dealer will do mine and I'll not take it back until it's right.. Ron

·
Registered
107 Posts
That sucks brother!

I just got my first crack in my windshield about a week or so ago! It's about 18 inches long. I didn't feel like dealing with the hassle of warranties or insurance and all that so I just went to this glass place and paid $35 for them to seal it up. The crack is still there but they guaranteed it won't spread and it hasn't so far. Seems like there is less problems going this route. I've seen a lot of threads on this forum where people had problems with windshield replacements.

Well good luck to you! And I hear ya on that comment about letting other people touch your car, just wish I was more competent to fix stuff myself lol.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am sort of hoping they will say they need to repaint the whole roof. Which in turn, i will just take the money for that, apply some touch up paint, and then buy a rear bumper with that money.

That is the best case scenario right now, haha.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am sort of hoping they will say they need to repaint the whole roof. Which in turn, i will just take the money for that, apply some touch up paint, and then buy a rear bumper with that money.

That is the best case scenario right now, haha.
Haha nice :bigthumb:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just had one installed myself, they put five dents in my roof prying that trim piece off. At least the dent doctor came out and fixed it at there cost. Sorry to hear about yours. Are these windshields that hard to install. It seems you can't take your vehicle anywhere unless you want it screwed up.
Bob

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Layton, sorry buddy!!! My first replacement windshield in December of '06 ended up with me leaving the white molding on I-10 between here and Biloxi. They fixed it of course but now if I have one done, (I am on number 4), I make sure that they epoxy the molding in really tight! The clips are a necessity but the epoxy is just Lagnieppe!

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kim, way to bring back that word. I always forget to use south louisiana words in daily conversation. haha

Okay, UPDATE!!!!!

Talked to insurance, who put me through to Safelite warranty claims. This person put me through to a person working at the shop that replaced my windshield. She took down notes of all the issues i had and is doing some paperwork which will go to their head office somewhere. I should receive a call by the end of this week.

To sum up, i think safelite is LAME. Maybe i should learn how to install windshields as well so that next time, i can just install it myself so that my vehicle won't get scratched.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have many years of windshield repair and replacement experience under my belt (18 years to be exact). And I can testify as to the complete and utter failure the design of the w/s on the FJ Cruiser is. The installer should NEVER pry the top molding with anything but his hands to release the clips. Then, he should CAREFULLY cut the beads of urethane with a long bladed utility knife that hold the front edge of the molding. The cowl along the bottom of the windshield should be thoroughly covered with masking tape, along with the edge of the hood, and 6 to 12 inches up both A-Pillars. This will eliminate any scratches when removing the cowl. Make sure the installer removes the cowl!!! Many slop and drop installers will try to bypass this step. Leaving the cowl in place and sliding the glass under it is dangerous!!! And for those of you who would prefer to take your Cruiser to the dealership, DON'T!!! Dealerships do not install their own glass, they merely call their local glass shop. Most dealerships have a nasty tendency to use the lowest cost provider and jack up the price to the customer. Talk to some local glass shops, and become educated about windshield repair and replacement, your LIFE could hang in the balance. A poorly installed windshield can lead to roof crush in a rollover, and defective airbag deployment in a head-on. If a replacement price seems too low, the installer is taking short cuts on the intall and YOUR well being. Any install worth his tools will take the time to do the job right and help explain the PROPER way to install a windshield. This is not to say that crap doesn't happen during an install. All of us have had molding come off, or had a knife slip and scratch a car, that's just life happening. But a good company takes care of it quickly and with little or no hassle to you the car owner. Thank you and good night.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info Blizzard.
So, end of the week arrived, no phone call. I called the insurance agent i talked to (she is the head glass person for progressive) and left a message. I couldn't call the person i spoke to from safelite as i was not given her number.

He did remove the lower cowl. I noticed that. I was also charged like 300 bucks for a new upper molding that i am pretty sure he did not install. For a couple of reasons.
1. The current one has typical swirl marks you start to see on paint after a while.
2. When i asked him what he was going to do about the red clip that he broke, he stated that he was just going to replace the clip.
3. There was the same type of pry mark on the upper molding as on the roof line.

This is pretty bogus seeing as how the lady i talked to at safelite said he was suppose to change it out with a new one and i am pretty sure it is on the invoice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Call the local shop and speak to the manager and explain your situation. The person from safelite to whom you spoke is most likely a coprorate rep. in another city. Go local and you will receive better and more responsive service. If the invoice sent to the insurance company shows that the installer replaced the top molding, and the one on your Cruiser is the old one, then safelite is guilty of insurance fraud. Check with Progressive to see what parts were billed on the invoice. I am NOT slamming safelite like many glass people will (WAL-MART syndrome, if they are a big corp, they MUST be evil). Good and bad installs occur at most glass shops, it just depends on the individual installer. Many are excellent, some are complete idiots. For the best service, interview potential glass shops and see if they try to educate you on proper installation procedures.

·
Registered
163 Posts
layonnn
Hey thanks for posting threads like this, although sorry to hear about your troubles.

Only had fj for a few months, but keep reading post like this one, makes me terrirified about when I will have to get mine replaced. But with threads like this we can learn from mistakes other companies made on yours to help preven that on ours.

thanks.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
layonnn
Hey thanks for posting threads like this, although sorry to hear about your troubles.

Only had fj for a few months, but keep reading post like this one, makes me terrirified about when I will have to get mine replaced. But with threads like this we can learn from mistakes other companies made on yours to help preven that on ours.

thanks.
No problem. What sucks is i pretty much was around the entire time he was doing the install, checking in every 10 minutes or so. But it was stuff i just couldn't see from that far away. I would say that if you are having it done, inspect every inch of it before you give him/her your money.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
All very good to know! I just acquired my first crack while driving through Canada and need to get it replaced. There are only 2 shops I can take it to get it replaced and have been avoiding the subject as long as I can. I don't want to see it get screwed up.

:cheers:

·
Registered
163 Posts
dvlduc
let us know how you make out. I am really hatin when I am going to have to cross this bridge.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Layton did you ever get to watch: ABC News

1 - 20 of 27 Posts