Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... owning a FJ means you either have replaced the windshield or you are going to :-( sad but true.

When I went in to replace my windshield, I video taped it for fun and thought y'all might want to see what it takes to pop the glass out and replace it. This is twelve minutes of shear excitement that only be described as informative and cutting edge... when compared to watching paint dry. But you're at work, you have 12 minutes and it is something FJ oriented that you can do indoors.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
lgrt, thanks for sharing the video. Tell us more about your trip to the Artic Ocean!

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
thanks for posting, enjoyed the video..

·
Registered
773 Posts
Thx for the video
I was under the impression that the top white molding need to be sacrificed and people were charged for another one.
Might wanna book mark this video just for that reason :cheers:

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Neat video!

Bet those guys were more conscientious of what they were doing because they were being videotaped. Either way they looked very confident in what they were doing and respected the car!

T

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Thx for the video
I was under the impression that the top white molding need to be sacrificed and people were charged for another one.
Might wanna book mark this video just for that reason :cheers:
That's what I thought too. When mine was replaced by insurance, the dealer did replace the molding.

Neat video!

Bet those guys were more conscientious of what they were doing because they were being videotaped. Either way they looked very confident in what they were doing and respected the car!

T
The OP must have a great relationship with those guys. Most shops won't even allow video tapes.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Really nice of you to share this video. I will definetly be prepared for this by putting fender aprins and cover the top of the dashboard even move the front cowl and wipers before the operation begins not everyone works the way those guys worked. Hope never get to do it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lgrt, thanks for sharing the video. Tell us more about your trip to the Artic Ocean!
FJamming

If you're at the Summit in July how about I tell you stories over a beer? But if you can't make you can always read the 19 day saga under Arctic Ocean 2007

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
lgrt, what a great website! I'll be busy for a while following your adventure. For those that didn't get to click on that link, you're missing out!

·
Registered
348 Posts
either those guys do a really awesome job and have nothing to hide OR you're really good friends with 'em... I say that because they allowed you to record that process...
I recently had 2 chips repaired and the joint I went to had that reflective window tint on the windows to the garage area so that you couldn't see what they were doing :D
they also told me that they've replaced a couple FJ windshields and it takes all day to do one :slant:

·
Registered
77 Posts
they also told me that they've replaced a couple FJ windshields and it takes all day to do one :slant:
Some shops just suck! ;)

...actually, the guy who repaired my rock-chip told me I should check my deductible in case I do ever have to replace it. He says they've done several, and "while it's not particularly fun, it's no worse than any other, Toyota just charges a fortune for their glass, and sometimes you have to replace the top molding, which is also spendy." ...his words (paraphrased).

On his advice I did check, and it turns out dropping my deductible to $100 from $500 cost me a whopping $30 every 6 months. Worth it for me to not have to cough up $500 all at once should I need a new shield.

Looking at some of the online parts sources you can see the glass listed at nearly $600! :mecry:

Thanks for posting the vid, it's cool to see how it's actually done; and kudos to your shop for being cool with you taping it!!!

D

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
either those guys do a really awesome job and have nothing to hide OR you're really good friends with 'em... I say that because they allowed you to record that process...
I recently had 2 chips repaired and the joint I went to had that reflective window tint on the windows to the garage area so that you couldn't see what they were doing :D
Turns out this was the first time I ever met the guys... and this was the first FJ they replace a windshield on... Yes when they told me that my knees buckled a little :)

But they had done some research and were very upfront and professional about it all... They were also fun to hang out with and offered me free pizza while I waited. They even took time to show me how the pillar panel cover comes off. This is for running wire harnesses up to my new lights from Baja Designs that I'm going to mount on the roof next.

I'd recommend them to anyone in Kitsap county WA... (yeah it is in the boonies)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Turns out this was the first time I ever met the guys... and this was the first FJ they replace a windshield on... Yes when they told me that my knees buckled a little :)

But they had done some research and were very upfront and professional about it all... They were also fun to hang out with and offered me free pizza while I waited. They even took time to show me how the pillar panel cover comes off. This is for running wire harnesses up to my new lights from Baja Designs that I'm going to mount on the roof next.

I'd recommend them to anyone in Kitsap county WA... (yeah it is in the boonies)
free pizza?!?! man, I got jipped! :D although I did get to play with their dog in the waiting area :lol:

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lgrt, what a great website! I'll be busy for a while following your adventure. For those that didn't get to click on that link, you're missing out!
Thank you, hopefully you'll get through the Arctic reading before we go by your place on the way to the Baja in Feb. Of course we'll have Ouray tales and videos in between to get through the summer.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Should I be worried that I was interested enough to watch the entire video? Thanks for sharing!
Heh, I'm glad you're not the only one! I actually rewinded and repeated some portions. There are some interesting bits in there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts