Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, I’m looking at getting a knew windshield for my 2010 FJ. OEM vs Aftermarket? Any advice on witch one I should get? Is there a difference in quality?

apena

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Do a search in the forum. There are several threads on this. I got 3 OEM windshields but the PPG one I got lasted almost 10 years!

·
Premium Member
4,939 Posts
Hello All, I’m looking at getting a knew windshield for my 2010 FJ. OEM vs Aftermarket? Any advice on witch one I should get? Is there a difference in quality?
Definitely read up on the windshield replacement issues as well. The FJ's windshield is unusual compared to most cars, so many installers will make common mistakes related to the top molding, the corner panels at the bottom etc.

Are you anywhere near Denver? There's an installer in Denver who does a lot of FJ windshields and does them right.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Are you anywhere near Denver? There's an installer in Denver who does a lot of FJ windshields and does them right.
Curious, what is the curing process / time table? I am not from Denver, but I am heading west in a couple of weeks and badly need of a windshield replacement. I haven't heard of anyone in the north east that does the job well (unless someone can recommend).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Definitely read up on the windshield replacement issues as well. The FJ's windshield is unusual compared to most cars, so many installers will make common mistakes related to the top molding, the corner panels at the bottom etc.

Jim,
Can you tell me mistakes made at "top moulding and bottom corner"?
At my last install I brought these OEM clips at a local installer but was refused.
They also insisted on re-using the top windshield trim instead of replacing.
Thanks

·
17,317 Posts

Reactions: Ph.D

·
Registered
14 Posts
I go to a local shop that does body work and glass; think they have a lot more experience with "clips", and can prime any rusted areas under the trim. May be something to consider, as the national inventory of FJ's, hence, number of times they get experience on, shrinks daily.

·
Registered
18 Posts

apena
I go to a local shop that does body work and glass; think they have a lot more experience with "clips", and can prime any rusted areas under the trim. May be something to consider, as the national inventory of FJ's, hence, number of times they get experience on, shrinks daily.
Aftermarket are cheaper and work fine. Can even get a tinted window. I’ve been through four windows because of the almost straight up and down design which catches road debris. So, I recommend aftermarket.

·
Registered
24 Posts
No I’m in Austin Tx. Thanks for the input.
Hey, if/when you decide on which windshield to go with and which installer to you, will you please come back and update this thread? It would be great to know of a good installer in Austin. Thanks!

·
Registered
130 Posts
The top plastic , white cover, get OEM..I had problems with the aftermarket pos...also the rubber trim on the sides. get OEM . had to order, non in stock....less wind noise...I got a OEM windshield...says made in Japan..

·
Registered
2010 Army Green, a-track, diff-lock, radflo, rez links & bump, baja led,....
102 Posts

who's the guy in denver? i need one.

·
Registered
13 Posts

apena

apena
Does anyone know of a great windshield installer in Arizona around Northern Arizona or Phoenix? Any replies greatly appreciated.
Robert
[email protected]
It,s a 2010.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had safelight do mine through insurance and they replaced the top trim with new oem and used new clips in the corner panels.

·
Premium Member
4,939 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts