Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  • Windshield Wipers - Correct Size

I needed to replace my wipers recently, and did a search on this site. Couldn't find any clearly stated information, so I decided to post what I found out by calling the dealer the correct and exact scoop, and I'd like to share it with others...to save you time.

The wipers are different size:

The drivers side is as follows:

Metric = 400mm. Converted to inches = 15.74803

The center and passenger side:

Metric = 350mm. Converted to inches - 13.77953

I chose to use 16" Michelin wipers for the drivers side, and 14" ANCO wipers on the center and passenger side.

I bought these at Wal-Mart. I used some more expensive ANCO wipers that lasted a year before coming apart. I have rarely had wipers start to seperate, so thought I'd try a lessor expensive wiper and do a compairson test.

Also, found my original equipment wipers, and may just buy the rubbers for them next time and see how they hold up...

Any other advice on what wipers work best for you? I live in Texas, and we get some pretty exteme heat in our state. :sunny:

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Athena,

I was looking for the metric numbers so could convert to exact inches, so I could decide what the best after maket replacement would be......

The second link to the post you listed is pretty good info. I'd seen these before when did a search...but didn't get a feel for the conversion numbers...

Because of the contour of the windshield, I think as close as we can stay to factory specification....the better it will perform....seems the exreme oversize doesn't clean as welll.....in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
yeah I think most go 16/13/13 but others will use 16/14/14..

·
Registered
582 Posts
PIAA Super silicone are excellent, last a year or more, I've been running them here in Florida where we are no strangers to torrential downpours, they keep the windscreen absolutely clear. An added bonus is that instead of buying a factory rear replacement, you can cut down a Super Silicone wiper insert to the correct length to give you an excellent rear solution. A little spendy at first, but then the refills are about $20 for three. 4 Wheel Parts has them and delivery is free if you have a local store.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I went with 16-14-14. Next time I will use a 13 on the far right passenger blade. Because of the curvature of the windshield, this blade does not make good contact at the tip and is kinda hanging out in midair. I imagine this tip will vibrate in the wind and fatigue it faster than a blade with good contact.

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,939 Posts
I went with 16 14 14 last week. After reading up and seeing bad reviews here and there on even the most expensive blades. I grabbed some Duralast ones at Auto Zone.

Im pleasantly surprised. They fit great, are quiet, and wipe perfectly. We will see just how long they last, but at the price, ill just pitch and replace them as needed lol

·
Registered
368 Posts
Look through your dealer's website online specials. I got a coupon for "buy one wiper get one free." Well I need three so what's that mean, I get to put one in my pocket 'til I need it? Well after the parts guy tried to do the math, I got the second little one tossed in free.

·
Registered
434 Posts
My original wiper size that came with the FJ were 16-14-14 and rear is 9, all in inches. PIAA are good Wipers too. I'd ended up using Trico Neoform Wiper blades. My dealership were trying to sell me 14-13-13. I was a bit confuse on this and because I wanted maximum wipe surface area, I'd stuck with the original size. Dealership could not explain why the lesser size. So far, so so good, wipers are not touching. :cheers:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any opinion on the effectness of the factory wipers? I found my factory blades, and i'm thinking about buying the replacement rubber inserts next time around?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Any opinion on the effectness of the factory wipers? I found my factory blades, and i'm thinking about buying the replacement rubber inserts next time around?
Toyota OEM work great for me on my last 3 vehicles which, are and were Toyotas.

·
Registered
434 Posts
That depends on the area you drive too. If you just get rain, then I guess the factory wipers will do. For the rest of us with four seasons, I myself, have upgraded to an all season wiper blades, due to mostly in winter, to avoid ice build up or chattering. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought some factory rubber replacements at the dealer.....the price is right; $3 something for the two 350mm and $5 something for the 400mm rubber.

Will give these a try when my Walmart blades bite the dust.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
If you check with 123wipers, he has them in the correct sizes and in stock. When I went to replace mine the locals were only had either 1 or 2 of the blades none had all 3.

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,939 Posts
My cheapo Duralasts in 16-14-14 are still going strong. Im not so sure 5 weeks is an eternity for wipers, but IMO they have paid for themselves lol

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,939 Posts

1 - 20 of 37 Posts