Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my fj and love it. I want to replace or have the grill, wings, mirrors, and bumper pieces (silver) painted black. My question is can these pieces be purchased in black? I've been told I can only have them painted. My concern is that they may chip easier. Never had much luck painting plastic. If painting is the only way what paint should I use or has anyone had them sprayed with maybe linex stuff??

·
Mistress of Mud
2,684 Posts
I think you can buy tundra handles in black.

I painted all of mine using a plastic primer adhesive and bumper paint. It chips a little. I carry a rattle can in the tool box.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I took mine into a body shop and had the bumpers and mirrors painted DB to match the rest of the FJ. Cost about $800, but it was worth it to me - I didn't like the silver at all. I thought about using a rattle can, but knowing myself; I would have never been happy with it. I'll post some pics when it stops raining here! Nikko

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
You can get the Tundra Handles for about $50 and a 10 minute install. Search for Tundra Handles and you will find a thread with step by step instruction and photos.

You may find a TT owner parting out there bumpers for some of the other silver parts.

In order for you to order TT parts you need a VIN, this may change in the future.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
I'm about to black mine out as well. The best deal (other than rattle canning the parts yourself) I found is $300 for all silver accent peices to be painted black. The guy I talked to said the paint would be like that of the rest of the FJ, "hard to chip", because it was being professionally done. The guy is a friend of the family otherwise I'd call total B.S!

I thought about going BD on the silver, but I think I'm going to go with a flat texturied black so it matches the bumper.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
i've never bought from this place before, but they have OEM black door handles for $69.99.

FJ Cruiser Accessories from Pure FJ Cruiser - Toyota FJ Cruiser Black Door Handles - OEM # pfj_handles_blk

you may want to call one of the supporting vendors like, Sparks Toyota or FJcruiserpartsstore.com to see if they have them...may be cheaper. as far as the mirrors and bumper pieces go, i think you can buy the mirrors without a VIN, but they are expensive and the trim pieces im not sure about. rattle can will definitely be the cheapest. getting professional paint job may be pretty close in price to just buying the pieces in black. if i were to do it, i would just buy the parts in black that were worth it to me and then just rattle can tehe other parts...the bumper pieces i would definitely rattle can.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts