Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FJCF Members -

I have a question for general feedback and appreciate all who take the time to read this post and respond.

I bought my '10 FJ earlier this year slightly used (4,000 miles) with BFG KM2's on it sized 285/70/17. At first, I was psyched - great looking tires! Then, we had snow and let me tell you, on packed snow such as we have here in Colorado, these are nothing short of FRIGHTENING! By way of quick background - my hobby is kart racing so I know how to undulate the skinny pedal and these are STILL FRIGHTENING.

I'd like to switch them out and sell them to someone who likes this tire, but I may be riding them out through the winter.

My question is this - do I get these siped or live with them as is??? Opinions welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks, again, for any and all input. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I too have a 2010 that came equipped with BFG AT's. I couldn't wait to try out my FJ in the snow and it was the same experience you had. We live in snow country and I am aware of the need to drive slow and be extremely cautious.

I decided I would install, this winter, a dedicated snow tire and purchased a set of Firestone Winterforce tires. The difference is literally night and day and I now look forward to driving in snow.

I researched the heck out of this issue, on this site, as well as others and can conclude that the BFG's are simply unsafe in the snow:cheers:

·
Registered
255 Posts
My MT's are the same way but have about 26k on em. Just had em siped ($9ea)... haven't had any bad weather to test them out in yet but they ride smoother and are quieter. Will report back when we have some weather to play in.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've got 255/80/17 KM2's and the tall skinny tire does well. Here in Canada when they plow the street it makes it like a skating rink. There is no tire that will be a great tire. Purpose built tires like Blizzaks do make a difference on icy streets. If I had the money, I'd have a set of winter tires and a set of summer tires.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. I was hoping to switch them out and sell the BFG's. Unfortunately, the money tree isn't blooming at this time so I may need to sipe these and ride them out.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
A true snow tire is much more than just the siping. The make up of the tires compound using silica to keep the tire from Hardning in cold weather, to the design of the actual tread, and tread pattern..
Just a suggestion.. Keep the wheels and tires you have, purchase steelies and Some High quality SNow tires for use in the winter only! That way you always have tires rated and best suited for the Conditions your driving....

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Nokian's are the way to go if you want dedicated winters. Pricey, but long lasting.
X2 Nokian Hakkapelittas 5 SUVs are great, second year with them , very good. Up here in Quebec winter tires are mandatory by law from 15th Dec to 15th of March. Alot of FJs users have them.

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
Hmm This is a little funny. I used BFG a/t's to snow plow for over 10 years and loved them. The muds are probably not as good. Maybe it's the truck. Different configuration on the drive train.
I snow plowed with a Ford Bronco and used a 32" size. I hardly ever got stuck and traction was great . They just seemed to work .

·
Registered
655 Posts
X2 Nokian Hakkapelittas 5 SUVs are great, second year with them , very good. Up here in Quebec winter tires are mandatory by law from 15th Dec to 15th of March. Alot of FJs users have them.
x2

I've got a set (with factory stud).

It's amazing how you can get disconnected about the real road condiftion with a set of these and the full-time 4wd!

My next set will probably be the Nokian LT (with stud) in 235/85R16. Same height, more agressive thread and less resistance in deep snow.

:cheers:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Might want to consider Toyo's! A couple of months ago I switched from BFG AT's to a full set of brand new Toyo MT's and I couldn't be happier! In the 2 months that I have had them I have been able to thoroughly test them out in sand, mud, clay, rocks, snow, and mixtures of snow and mud, and snow and clay, and all I can say is that these tires performed well in all of these areas! Just last week I took them out in 8" of snow and when I took them offroad I couldn't get them to drift around corners even when I wanted to because the Toyo's would not stop gripping!

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I've run siped BFG KMs in the past. Good tire and the sipes do help on the packed snow and ice. I have KM2s on the FJ now and have no problems, but sipes would make it stick a little better on ice. I've got Duratracs on the work truck and really like them. Should not be that hard to find a taker on the KM2s. Good luck.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the input.

Albuq -

I'm a big fan of the Toyo's and ran them on past trucks, but not the FJ. I am currently leaning toward the General AT2 and the Pro Comp Xtreme All Terrain because they both weigh about 12 lbs less/tire and that 48 lbs of unsprung weightis a deterrant for me. I will reconsider them though!

Question on the Toyo MT's...have you had them on packed snow road yet? Here in Colorado, we're getting pounded with snow in the mountains, but none down here yet. I'm heading up next weekend to go and play! :clap:

·
Registered
66 Posts
For what it's worth, I took off my BFG AT's, in anticipation of winter, and installed a set of 235/85/16 Firestone Winterforce dedicated snow tires. They have made driving in the snow safe and a pleasure.

I had a set of BFG AT's on a AWD new pick up and I was sliding down our driveway. I had them siped and it made no difference whatsoever.

From all of the posts I have read, the solution for the snow is a dedicated snow tire. Additionally, it definitely helps to put on a set of narrow (pizza cutters) that can cut into the whit stuff.:cheers:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks for all the input.

Albuq -

I'm a big fan of the Toyo's and ran them on past trucks, but not the FJ. I am currently leaning toward the General AT2 and the Pro Comp Xtreme All Terrain because they both weigh about 12 lbs less/tire and that 48 lbs of unsprung weightis a deterrant for me. I will reconsider them though!

Question on the Toyo MT's...have you had them on packed snow road yet? Here in Colorado, we're getting pounded with snow in the mountains, but none down here yet. I'm heading up next weekend to go and play! :clap:
Yes I have had them on snow packed roads, just last week, and they didn't skip a beat! I am very impressed with them! I put mine on alloy rims to reduce the weight..

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Albq:

I like Toyo and they are always in my top 3 choices. Optimally, I'd like to stay with a Mud Terrain with some siping. I'm not too worried about the packed stuff, but the KM2's have NO siping at all. I'll give the Toyo MT another hard look.

At this point, I'm planning to stay with the stock alloys and have them powdercoated satin black so I, too, will keep the weight down as much as possible. I'm not interested in rock climbing, but would like to get into some trails this coming year.

Thanks, again, for the input!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Albq:

I like Toyo and they are always in my top 3 choices. Optimally, I'd like to stay with a Mud Terrain with some siping. I'm not too worried about the packed stuff, but the KM2's have NO siping at all. I'll give the Toyo MT another hard look.

At this point, I'm planning to stay with the stock alloys and have them powdercoated satin black so I, too, will keep the weight down as much as possible. I'm not interested in rock climbing, but would like to get into some trails this coming year.

Thanks, again, for the input!
Heres a little pic to help you decide:)

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Heres a little pic to help you decide:)

I'm leaning towards the Toyo M/T's.... Just a wheee bigger 37" 13:50 20"

They may never see snow...hope they handle heavy rain!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts