Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all. i've been absent for a while but i've been back to lurking on and off the last few weeks. i was curious as to what you all have found to be the best wiper blades to use for colder weather? we had some snow/sleet last week and it only took a few min before my blades were nothing but chunks of ice.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm using the Anco winter blades (1) 30-16 and (2) 30-13. I just went through some moderate snow comming back from Steamboat and found that they worked best if I kept them moving a bit more than I thought I needed. I mean that keeping them moving even when the windsheild seemed clear really cut down on the snow/ice build up. They work way better than stock open frame style blades.

TahoeDave has installed a device on the bottom several inches of his front windsheild that heats it like the rear window defroster strips. I'm waiting for some more feedback from him, after he gets some real life snow testing, before I do that to my windsheild.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Silicone is better than rubber from my observation.

These have been from AZ to Africa, to Iceland, and into Europe on my FJ and work as well as the day I put them on.....

https://silblade.3dcartstores.com/mobile/home.asp?#homeSubCat_7_1

Lift the wipers off the glass when parking in sub-zero. When rubber freezes to the glass and you get in and start the vehicle, the pulling of the rubber from the glass makes the wipers uneven and you will quickly develop gaps and streaks from the wipers.

It may look weird to some people when they see your wipers sticking up when parked, but you will get used to it and it will become habit to pop them up and down when getting out and in of the FJ.

Also, I have just noticed a problem when parking my FJ in super cold temps while still in 4WD. In the mornings, I can barely get the steering/ignition lock to release with the ignition key so I can start it. It's probably because mine has lots of miles and abuse on it now, but it's something to think about anyway.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Also try using the ice melt (prestone or similar product) windshield washer fluid. The cheap blue stuff will freeze if the temp gets low enough.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you're still using the stock blades, anything you buy should work fine for our NC winters. I will iterate on the ANCO winter blades. I frequent the NC mountains during the winter and haven't had a problem with them so far this season.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the input guys. i still have the factory blades and my fj is an 07. i guess its about time to change them. i figured it would be easier to ask people who actually have the truck than to go by just what the advertisements say. thanks again!

·
Registered
338 Posts
You can also take a look at this thread were folks are using the Trico Neoform blades, I couldn't find any locally so I kep using the Anco Winter blades.

Wiper Blades, Really...
These work great...just got them from rockauto.com (after getting fellow forum member input) and their delivery was fast. Love the way they work in the snow! Highly recommended!:rocker:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts