Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently installing some USB ports in the dash of my 2007 FJ and when I took off the panel with the switches there was one blank spot that had wires plugged in (see first pic). There was also another wiring harness that was just wrapped in foam (see second pic). I've heard that it could be A-TRAC but mine is 2WD so I assume thats not it. There is also a pic of what I already have to rule some things out.

Attachments

·
4-Corners Moderator
5,094 Posts
Yeah as far as I know the A-Trac operates for 2WD just like it does for 4WD but just for the rear axle. With 4x4 FJs you can use A-Trac and the RR DIFF Lock at the same time (unless it is a 2007 model made in the early 2006s) so the rear is locked and A-Trac is operating on the front axle. With 2WD however you can only do one or the other.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Aren't those the connectors for the dealer installed roof lights and for the dealer installed bumper lights?

·
Registered
106 Posts
The connector attached to the blank is for A-trac. The one wrapped in the grey foam is for the oem air dam lights. The oem bumper lights come with a switch and harness that you add in.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
My 07 didn't come with factory bumper lights and when I added them, I had to buy the inside and outside wiring harnesses (the wiring was not already in place). Also, there was no addition harness for any roof lights behind the panel. There IS a harness for the A-Trac.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So if I wanted to install lights on my roof rack where would the other end of the harness be? And how would I connect the lights to it?

·
Registered
372 Posts

So I just installed OEM bumper driving lights and the OEM Roof air dam with lights last week (2010TT). The plug behind there with the grey foam tape on it is indeed for the roof airdam lights.
I also have the blank switch with the plug in it, but no idea what it is for, sorry.

As for jorpham's question on where to hook up roof lights... there is a plug for that already installed and waiting in the drivers side inside A-pillar under the trim piece. You might need to get an OEM wiring harness to hook up to it, the other thing you will need to do is add a relay and fuse to the fuse box under the hood and the switch for the dash, just plug it into that foam wrapped plug.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
My 07 didn't come with factory bumper lights and when I added them, I had to buy the inside and outside wiring harnesses (the wiring was not already in place). Also, there was no addition harness for any roof lights behind the panel. There IS a harness for the A-Trac.
So I just installed OEM bumper driving lights and the OEM Roof air dam with lights last week (2010TT).
Anyone got a PN for the OEM bumper light harness/switch?

·
Registered
45 Posts
(I also sent you a PM StrangerRanger!)

These part numbers are for the bumper lights...
OEM Switch (illuminated and "on" indicator): PT297-35070-AS
OEM Inner Harness (switch to firewall): PT297-35070-SH
OEM Outer Harness (main harness to lights): PT297-35070-LH

You will also need the relay that plugs into the outer fuse block: PT297-89016
(cheapest place I found this relay was actually at the dealer, for like $14)
Last, you'll need a 15a mini-blade fuse.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just bought an '08 FJ and separately an OEM Roof Rack with the OEM lights. Great to hear the wiring is in place.

I assume this is the plug you mentioned.

The harness I suppose connects to this and runs up to the mount area? (Don't have the rack yet, bud is bringing it over after X-mas.) Harness part #?

Anyone have a part # for the roof switch? Would the above mentioned relay and fuse work for the air dam lights?

Thanks
Charlie

·
Registered
372 Posts
Just bought an '08 FJ and separately an OEM Roof Rack with the OEM lights. Great to hear the wiring is in place.

I assume this is the plug you mentioned.

The harness I suppose connects to this and runs up to the mount area? (Don't have the rack yet, bud is bringing it over after X-mas.) Harness part #?

Anyone have a part # for the roof switch? Would the above mentioned relay and fuse work for the air dam lights?

Thanks
Charlie
Yes that is the correct plug for the airdam lights. I'll go out and look at my paperwork and see if I have those part numbers.
If you bought the "kit" it should come with everything.I would think the fuse and relay are the same but go in different locations.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the great info!

The rack and air dam/lights are used takeoffs. All one assembled unit, with the upper harness, but not the middle harness.

The switch for the roof lights appears to be PT297-35072-LS.
Relay PT297-89016 and 15a fuse.

So it looks like what I'm really after is Hardware Bag #3 to complete my install.

Should I try calling a dealer or Gulf States

Thanks,
Charlie

Charlie

·
Registered
372 Posts
Thanks for the great info!

The rack and air dam/lights are used takeoffs. All one assembled unit, with the upper harness, but not the middle harness.

The switch for the roof lights appears to be PT297-35072-LS.
Relay PT297-89016 and 15a fuse.

So it looks like what I'm really after is Hardware Bag #3 to complete my install.

Should I try calling a dealer or Gulf States

Thanks,
Charlie

Charlie
Might be a good place to start.

Here is the wiring harness picture, out of stock here
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Toyota-Accessories-PT297-35072-LH-Harness/dp/B00DWVNCH2

But looks like available here
Off-Road Lgts Lamp Wr | Genuine Toyota | PT297-35072-LH | Lagrange OEM Toyota Parts : Toyota Parts OEM - Genuine Toyota Parts from Lagrange OEM Toyota Parts

But stupid expensive

another place
Off-Road Lgts Lamp Wr | Genuine Toyota | PT297-35072-LH : Volvo & Toyota Parts | overstockoemparts.com

Here is another with the picture of what you need.
https://stufftop.com/genuine-toyota-accessories-pt297-35072-lh-lamp-wire-harness#/

None of the pictures show the large washer or the plug for the end that plugs into the A-pillar plug. You will need these.

I do believe the part number is correct, Will also need the large washer #10 in parts bag 2.. its the backing washer for the roof plug. and the plug for the end of the harness.

You can also try calling Hella, they actually make the part, I believe their part number for it is #84994541
Hella phone
770-631-7500
800-242-5924

Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks AO!

So just to ask... Since it's only (2) wires and it appears there's already access from the roof to the interior via the mount points (as I've read you can lose the mount nuts inside the headliner), could I not drill a hole in the rack and run the wires through the rack into the interior via the mount area and connect to the a-pillar from there? I get I won't have a quick disconnect-type feature for quick removal of the lights, but don't see them being pulled on and off.

Thanks,
Charlie

·
Registered
372 Posts
Thanks AO!

So just to ask... Since it's only (2) wires and it appears there's already access from the roof to the interior via the mount points (as I've read you can lose the mount nuts inside the headliner), could I not drill a hole in the rack and run the wires through the rack into the interior via the mount area and connect to the a-pillar from there? I get I won't have a quick disconnect-type feature for quick removal of the lights, but don't see them being pulled on and off.

Thanks,
Charlie
Lots of ways it could be done (search around on here, I found lots of options) just want to make sure its a watertight entrance through the roof. I got lucky and bought the full original kit with all the parts.
Some opt to go in through the exterior A-Pillar too, not having to go through the roof. again search around.

And yeah, I don't see the need for the quick disconnect either, unless you were going to repaint or something I don't see taking them off ever.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have yet to take apart my A-pillar to see what the connection looks like but I have a Gobi Stealth rack (installed by previous owner). Does anyone know if I can wire any brand aftermarket lights into the harness in the A-pillar? Or will it only work with the OEM rack/lights?

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
I have yet to take apart my A-pillar to see what the connection looks like but I have a Gobi Stealth rack (installed by previous owner). Does anyone know if I can wire any brand aftermarket lights into the harness in the A-pillar? Or will it only work with the OEM rack/lights?
It should work with any lights up to 110 watts total. I had the factory Hellas for a while that I wired to this connector using my own wiring, not the harness as it didn't come with the parts I bought second hand. Now I have 2 35 watt HIDs up there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts