Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the lights I put in my bumper are not too bright to use on the street, could I simply tap into the headlight or marker light wire(s)? I realize I would have no way to turn them off... but if they're like typical OEM driving lights... that'd be fine.

Too simple?

Anyone done this?

·
Banned
3,591 Posts
The lower wire on the headlight is the HIGH beam wire...."T" tap into that and ground to the frame..... you can run ONE set no problem....And it's switched with the high beam....so It only comes on when you need them.....I've been doing it for ever, No problem....

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The lower wire on the headlight is the HIGH beam wire...."T" tap into that and ground to the frame..... you can run ONE set no problem....And it's switched with the high beam....so It only comes on when you need them.....I've been doing it for ever, No problem....
You rock! And I LOVE tater tots.

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
I assume your talking about tapping a new relay into the current headlight wiring to trigger your driving lights?

DEWFPO

·
The Laughing Member
2007 FJ Cruiser, 2021 4Runner, 2002 Lexus SC420
9,119 Posts
I assume your talking about tapping a new relay into the current headlight wiring to trigger your driving lights?
I sure hope so. :worried: Sharing the current/wiring/circuit from your headlights with a pair of 55W driving lights is a major disaster waiting to happen. :eek: :eek:

Better yet, give the auxiliary driving lights their own circuit (separate wiring, relay, fuse, switch) if you don't want to immediately exhaust the entire contents of your fire extinguisher.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay... so it was too simple. I'll admit... your "I hope not" was a "plan to" on my end... good thing I checked huh ;)

Sounds like I have two basic options -
1. Totally independent "system", e.g. power, fuse, switch - turn on and off manually.
2. Independent power and fuse but utilitzing the headlights relay to turn them on/off

Based on my above description of my options (and the lack of clarity there in) I have two options... okay three -
1. Wire them based on option no. 1 - even I can handle that.
2. Utilize the search function (read: do much more research) and determine the proper way to wire these things.
3. None of the above... just leave them unwired... okay, that's just weak huh.

Thanks all...

·
The Laughing Member
2007 FJ Cruiser, 2021 4Runner, 2002 Lexus SC420
9,119 Posts
Sounds like I have two basic options -
1. Totally independent "system", e.g. power, fuse, switch - turn on and off manually.
In my opinion, that would be the best and safest option, Not to mention offering you more flexibility in turning on/off your driving lights at your discretion.

2. Independent power and fuse but utilizing the headlights relay to turn them on/off
I wouldn't use the headlights' actual relay to turn the driving lights on/off. (You could end up exceeding the power rating of that particular relay if two different loads are sharing the same relay.)

But instead, use a completely separate relay for the driving lights that could be triggered by the headlights on/off function . . . . if you still want the driving lights to turn on/off along with the headlights. (i.e., tapping into the headlights' power source or relay feed to activate the driving lights' relay.)

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Steve... I think I like the independent route. So, one last question - where the *#$^ does one find the switch - the one that'll replace a dead switch on the dash. I've searched and searched... found the part number... but no source. Is this a dealer-only item?

thanks again.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I wired my lights to the left high beam using a relay and a separate switch on the dash. If I leave the switch on after I turn off the factory light switch the off road lights come on from the DRLs the next time I start my FJ.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts