Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have spent the last four nights reading every post I can on wiring roof lights, but I am still having difficulty grasping what I need to do what I want.

I have 5 IPF lights for the roof that I want to run to two OEM offroad (rooftop) switches (figured 3 lights on one switch, and 2 on the other)

Can I just order the OEM switches and wire them without the female pigtails? Using the factory wiring harness that is already there seems more confusing due to me wanting to run 2 switches.

I am trying to wrap my head around how to wire those OEM switches direct, and after reading this thread........
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/46737-off-road-roof-top-light-switch-oem-part-number-2.html
I am more confused

But I don't want to wire these to my head lights.

Can someone dumb this down for me?

Thanks
Puppypappa

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Take a look at the drawing below. It has a basic 5 light system in it. It will work with your switches. You will have:

Light comes on with dash lights
2nd Light comes on when that circuit is powered up
Turns roof lights on
switch has it's own ground

Just use two circuits and put 3 lights on one

You can test your switch with a multi meter to make sure you are using the right space on the switch for each circuit

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
^^What Stan said, though I would still buy the switches with the pigtails. I cut the remaining harness off and just splice my own wiring to the end of the pigtail. It's the same price as buying the switch with the little green wires and I'd rather have the cleaner look anyway. This way I still have something easy to plug and unplug when I need to take my dash apart.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts

·
Registered
2,925 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help. If I wanted to run 1 switch (with relay) what size wire would you recommend. (They are 100w IPF's X5) and what size fuse?

Also, I was considering splicing all the ground wires for the lights together to run a single back to the battery. Any suggestions on gauge of ground wire that I will need to run.

Puppypappa

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
You will need a 50 or 60 amp 12v relay. You'll want one with a mounting tab, like here.

Automotive Relays for 12 Volt DC Circuits

The simple Watt/Volts=Amps

500/12= 41.6 amps

Knowing the max amps, you need also need to determine how long the wire will be.

This is a good chart.

Wire Gauge Amps Ratings for 12 volt Automotive Systems

I would use 10 gauge wire for the power to the lights. The wire to power the relay 18 gauge. Ground wires are typically the same size as the power wires. Though an EC engineeer could likely figure out how much loss their is by the lights.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts