Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 3 sets of hellas(2 lights per set, comes with a relay per set also)

and i have the warrior products light bar (holds 5 lights)

Wired the outside 2 lights to one relay and the middle 3 to another relay.

Things didnt work after my first attempt so i redid all my ground and double checked my wires on both relays.

Got the one relay with the outside 2 lights to work. Could not get the middle 3, but i know i did everything right.

Both relays made a clicking noise when switched on so i know they draw power, but no power is reaching the middle 3 lights, but i know everything is grounded properly (to test i ran a direct negative line off the battery to each light and still no power to the lights)

then the other day when i went to test the lights one more time, the relays vibrated and then there was no power to either lights. no fuses were blown

What happened?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Well, first off, is the relay connected to the battery? Relays will click even if the main voltage is disconnected if you wired the on off button properly.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Well, if the hella relay is anything like a PIAA relay, it has an internal fuse.

My bet is that the extra light was too much of an extra draw and that fuse blew.

Do you have a multimeter?

I would disconnect the battery and ohm out the relay. Switch it and see if you have an open/closed circuit.

If worse comes to worse, you still have an extra relay you can try.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i do have a multimeter and will try.

i did swap relays for the unused one but no power reaches the lights still

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
i did not think 3 lights would have overloaded it, but i cant think of any other reason why it would vibrate and then not transfer any power. The relays no longer click either when switched on

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
what power source did you use to power the switching contacts portion of the relay? A relay might buzz if the power to the switching contacts isn't sufficiently high enough.
I don't think your 3 lights would overload the relay. what watt lights are you using? what model?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have the switch plugged into the fuse box that i believe has enough draw.

hella 500ff's and i believe theyre 55w

Ive tested both relays in each of the fuse slots outlined in red

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
stupid question but you're doing this with the ignition switched on? in case those slots only turn on with the ignition.
And the relays included with those lights usually are 4 terminal relays, but just in case they're 5 terminal relays, are the wires powering the lights connected to the correct terminals?

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
The switch can be pulled from the fuse block.
The switch ground can be attached to a body ground.

The power to the lights should run direct to the POS terminal of the battery.
The Ground for the lights should run direct to the NEG terminal of the battery.

Once you have made sure that is correct:
Use a multi meter and check the power source to the switch
Use a multi meter and check the ground from the switch
Use a multi meter and check that switch power is making it to the relay
Use a multi meter and check that the relay ground is good

When the switch is thrown the relay should click, not vibrate.

Use a multi meter and check that power is supplied from the battery POS to the relay
Use a multi meter and check that the ground from the lights is good.

Throw the switch and use a multi meter to check to see if poer from the battery is crossing the relay and going out to the lights.

If all the above provides posative results the lights should work. If all the above works but the lights do not, it is the light itself.

Below is a basic 5 light wiring diagram. It uses 3 relays rather than two. One switch can operate more than one relay if you choose to as well.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WOW! thanks NCFJ!

will try that tomorrow!

Just one question:

I'm using a 2 prong switch that does not light up, why does it have to be grounded instead of plugged into the fuse box?

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
The switches shown in the diagram are switches that have lights in them. On light in the switch comes on with dash lights, the other light in the switch comes on when the circuit is activated. The ground on the switch is for the lights inside the switch only

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
The first thing I did was toss all of the PIAA wiring/relays. Sounds like you have the same setup with the Hella's maybe.

I'll throw in my diagram for how I set mine up as well:

NC is heading you down the right path for sure! Look at the simple stuff first. This is a wonderful group here and I am sure between all of us here, we can get you up and running!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Okay so i finally got around to checking the wires with the multimeter. Started off checking the power on the wire that connects the relay to the battery.

it read 0. No power going from battery to relay.

The other relay read 12.13

1 - 16 of 16 Posts