Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally received all my lights, mounts, and switches for my back-up light install. I am going to install the lights like ruebarb's install (Rack-Mount Back-up Lights), BUT, since I'm not an electrical engineer, I have some questions maybe someone could answer for me.
I purchased KC 717 57 series lights instead of the KC back-up lights; as in ruebarb's install.
Please bare with me because I am just about as dumb as you can get on wiring....
1. I am going to use the blank switch to the left of the steering column.
I will not have a problem there???? Will I???
2. How does the blank come out??? Do I just push it through from outside
in????
3. If I use a tap a circuit mini, is there a certain place on the fuse box that
it must be attached to????
4. I have a 2010 TT. Is it still the red wire with a yellow stripe that I need
to tap into for back-up power to switch????
5. Ruebarb ran all four wires (power and ground) from the lights to the relay.
Can I splice (combine) the two hots together and the grounds together
into two wires, instead of all four, before I go under the rain drip cap to
the relay????

That is all for now....Anyone wishing to chime in, please let me know something, because as you can see I don't!!!

I have read ruebarb's write-up over and over again, and I still don't understand these points.............Please anyone, give me some answers!!
Thanks in advance,
Jax

·
Registered
789 Posts
I am not an electrical engineer either, but my husband is and he's at work.lol. So this is what I know from experience.
1. Blank switches left of the steering column are identical to the ones under the stereo
2. Best way to get it out is reach from the inside and pop them out towards the rear. I just replaced my switches to the left of my steering wheel and I could reach my hand by the fuse panel and reach the blanks. The other panel of switches you need to remove the center console which isn't difficult at all.
3. If you use add a circuit there is no right or wrong place for this. But you have to realize that some slots are hot all the time, some are hot when accessories are, and some aren't hot till the fj is fired up. Get a volt meter and check. All depends on if you want the fuction to turn them on without the engine running
4. I have not read anything about the wire tap sorry.
5. Too lazy right now to look at Ruebarbs post to chime in on wiring.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the answers. Now I know more than I did.
Does anyone know if the wiring colors have changed??? The reverse wire
is red with a yellow stripe on the 2010's???? Is that correct????
and, what size fuses are to be installed on top of the add a circuit mini????
I am assuming the little slots on the top of the add a circuit is for fuses?

Thanks, I'm going to tackle this project tomorrow and sure would like all the infomation I can have.....I really don't want to blow out all the fises or burn up all the wiring in my brand new FJ....if you know what I mean!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
1. I am going to use the blank switch to the left of the steering column.
I will not have a problem there???? Will I???
You can use any blanks. No problem there.

2. How does the blank come out??? Do I just push it through from outside
in????
Push it from the inside, squeeze clips and push it through.

the relay????

That is all for now....Anyone wishing to chime in, please let me know something, because as you can see I don't!!!

I have read ruebarb's write-up over and over again, and I still don't understand these points.............Please anyone, give me some answers!!
Thanks in advance,
Jax
Can you post a link to rubarb`write up?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you post a link to rubarb`write up?
Sorry, but I am also computer dumb. I don't know how to post a link, BUT,
ruebarb's write-up is in the "How-To-Technical Articles"

Anybody, are the wiring colors the same from older to newer years...
the reverse wire is the red with yellow stripe...

and, what size mini fuses do I need in the add a circuit?????????

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...98-rack-mount-back-up-lights-inst-w-pics.html

O.K I just figured how to post a link....my luck IS changing after eating all those black-eyed peas!!!!!:clap:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes, they came with plugged wire, relay and a switch, but I'm going to use a switch like ruebarb had on his set-up.(on-off-on)
I have plenty of extra wire and connectors and etc. if I need anything.
I just wasn't sure if Toyota has changed any of their wiring colors on the 2010 and was wondering if I needed to put 2 5's or 2 10's fuses in the add a circuit. I mounted my lights already, and they do look good. Now if they will light up the way I want them to.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
the relay????
#3 How do you want the lights to work for one "on" position?
Options:
On when key is out of ignition
On when key is ignition
On when parking/headlights are on

#4 No one has answered that question, but you should look, if the wire is there, most likely the same

#5 Yes, you can splice them together, 16g wire should be fine at the splice, unless you run more then 10ft, then 14g would be recommended. Use waterproof/heatshrink splice connectors

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
O.K, We can go on to the next project!!!! :cheers: I got mine and Opie's lights hooked up yesterday... Everything went great... I'm not as young and in shape as I once was :mecry:(crawing on my hands and knees while upside down in the front floorboard), but I got everything done. No broken tabs on dash, no fuses blown, and after only 6 or 7 hours:rofl: (or 10 to 12 hours, I can't remember) of not really knowing what I was doing, we had lights hooked up on 2 FJs.

I would like to thank this forum and all the people who love the FJs that we drive. It is truly a remarkable place where we can show and tell all the things that are possible to do on these fine rides.:rocker:

To ruebarb and all the other posters who have done this project before me, a special thank you! Without your trials and errors, I would not have even tried this project. Once again, Thank You!!!:clap::clap::clap:
Jax:wave:

Now, on to bigger and better things....:thinkerg:............:thinkerg:....................

Let's see...fog lights in lower grill...running lights on bumper...or maybe the new bumper....then the roof air dam... or the lift kit first...:thinkerg::thinkerg:

WHEN WILL I EVER GET TIME JUST TO GO RIDING IN THIS THING!!!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts