Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will it work? I am installing soon a led bar to the oem roof rack. I think could I just remove the rear bolt of the front left roof rack mount? There would be 8 mm hole where would be possible push 2x2.5mm cable through or 2x1.5mm at least.

The roof rack stays at it's place, I'm sure, but would there be some sealing problems if I'll sealing the hole with a silicone sealant?

I didn't found any pictures or writings about this, have you?

·
Premium Member
11,027 Posts
g'Day,
you could always use a hollow bolt, and feed the wires thru the bolt.
The bolt is an M8 x 35 mm ( metric thread )
I have seen it done this way before, but not sure where they sourced the hollow bolt...

cheers
Baz
:blueblob:
ps. not a good idea to just remove a bolt and have a hole......

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Not a hard job at all.Once you remove the roof rack foot drill a hole the size you need for the wire that the foot will cover. Run the wire up in the amount you need sealing it very well with silicone or use a weathertite connection then install the foot and run the wire up thru the leg of the roof rack thru the hole you made for the wire to exit. Secure the foot to the roof and the leg to the foot and make your connection to your light
In my opinion a much cleaner look than running in down the pillar ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1421634096.282319.jpg

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Those are two clean ways of doing it. My rig already had a hole in the roof for the OEM rack lights/air dam. I'l just reuse that hole for my new light bar and rear lighting.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What kind of bracket is that holding the light bar?
They came with the Seward 43" curved light bar. I pressed M6 nut-rivets to the existing roof rack holes and bolted the brackets to them. Feels solid.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sound advice. I found some hollow bolts that should work here (assuming 1.25 thread is correct).
https://www.easyr.com.au/hollow-bolt-pair-m8-p1.25-threaded-x-38mm-long-sui
:grin

g'Day,
you could always use a hollow bolt, and feed the wires thru the bolt.
The bolt is an M8 x 35 mm ( metric thread )
I have seen it done this way before, but not sure where they sourced the hollow bolt...

cheers
Baz
:blueblob:
ps. not a good idea to just remove a bolt and have a hole......

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,871 Posts
Despite of your opinions, I did it:

Clean and easy way, without drilling.
Holy chit that looks CLEAN.

So is there copious amounts of silicone ect under there? It is never the threads that leak, but the little plastic retainers that depend on the bolt compression.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts