Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay...so I thought I knew what I was doing! I just bought and installed a pair of Pro Comp 7" Motorsports driving lights on my front bumper. I wired them up as I have before with other vehicles (i.e. proper grounding, in-line 30 amp fuse, blah-blah). The problem is everytime I flip the switch to turn them on I pop the 30a fuse. Help!! What in the name of all that is decent am I doing wrong? :flame:

Tim

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
SOunds like you may have a direct short somewhere. Did you use the stock wiring harness? Accidently miss wire the ground on the relay ?

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
If you're blowing a 30amp fuse immediately upon throwing the switch, you've got a direct short somewhere.

Re-check your wiring and make sure that you don't have a pinched hot lead or direct short somewhere. Sorry, but troubleshooting wiring without actually seeing it is tough, at best, but with your description it sounds pretty cut and dry, regarding a short...

Also, you should be using a relay if the lights require 30 amps. Double-check the relay connections and make sure that the power is on the right post, etc..

EDIT: Looks like NCFJ posted while I was typing. But, came to the same possible causes...

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A relay huh? The wiring kit I purchased along with the lights did not come with a relay. I think you guys are right about the short though. I will check that. Thanks once again guys....ya'll are the reason this forum is so darn great!

Tim :rocker:

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
A relay huh? The wiring kit I purchased along with the lights did not come with a relay. I think you guys are right about the short though. I will check that. Thanks once again guys....ya'll are the reason this forum is so darn great!

Tim :rocker:
Tim

You really should use a relay in your light circuit. They are easy to wire in and save you from running a heavy wire from the battery to the switch and then back out to the lights (asuming they are on the front bumper area). Check out the thread below for a basic schematic.
Stan

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics/49156-basic-aux-lighting-wiring.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts