Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
New Voodoo Blue in Saukville checking in.

Seems like an awful lot of paved roads around here.
Do you head up north or out west?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm thinking about doing the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail this year (thinking Memorial Day weekend). Might head over to Michigan this year too. I do plan on doing the Overland UP trip but might hit some of the LP trails as well. As far as around here there is nothing. Its either Cliffs or Badlands for true offroading in this area.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is the first I've heard of Trans Wisconsin trail and I live near Galena. I've grabbed the overland and group gps files but can't get them imported into Google maps. Anybody have any ideas on how to get this done?
This looks like a nice little get away for the wife and I.

·
Registered
242 Posts
This is the first I've heard of Trans Wisconsin trail and I live near Galena. I've grabbed the overland and group gps files but can't get them imported into Google maps. Anybody have any ideas on how to get this done?
You have to convert the files. I did it at one point and followed the whole thing using Google maps. Its just a lot of dirt roads but its an excuse to go out and do it. The motorcycle guys do some parts on the ATV trails but thats not available for us.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I've deciphered the file and this trail looks interesting. How did the person that made this find the dirt roads? Trial and error?
Is there some way to search for dirt roads on googlemaps that I am not aware of?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks. My conversion couldn't be imported into google maps. I'm going to try and set the route myself via gps coordinates. Nice project for a rainy day.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Save the .gpx file to your desktop then go to...

GPS Visualizer

...in the "get started now" window browse to the desktop and choose the .gpx file.
Then choose "google maps" and hit "go".

After this you can save the goggle maps rendition to your desktop as a .html file.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The trail was originally designed for adventure bikes which consisted of some ATV trails. After many people asked about a truck route, the guy came up with this route. Not sure if he just used a paper map and then drove it or what. I've read some trail reports of people doing it and its rather boring but looks like something to do on a weekend.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Agreed me too, we should start a separate topic for this as I'd be very interested in joining someone for the drive and following the topic.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Pipeline- Near Lakewood, WI in Nicolet National Forest

Perhaps the longest known place to offroad in Wisconsin is the Pipeline. This is thee place for "muddin". Located only a few miles from McCaslin Campground in Lakewood, Wi. The Pipeline offers some rock and off camber trails, but is mostly for the typical mud truck. Memorial weekend is one of the busiest times, as for a lot of people come for camping, drinking, and wheelin. There are some spots given good rain seasons, that can swallow your vehicle hole! So being careful, knowing the depth of the water, and trails should be your first priority when checking this place out. Free to public, and open almost all year. Tread lightly at the Pipeline, due to being in the National Forest. Having a winch, if your alone should be on the list if you plan on deep mudding, otherwise make sure you have a friend to pull you out! There is more than enough information that you can find all over the internet about the Pipeline located in Northeast Wisconsin. Forums, are a great place to check out peoples experiences, and knowledge of the area.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,838 Posts
Okay.....who is buying the brats and having the party near Madison??

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Hi,
Doing good, not too many changes. Still driving the FJ. So happy the weather has improved. Gotta get the FJ out for a good wash. How are you doing? We'll have to get together sometime for a few brews/brats/wings.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Pipeline- Near Lakewood, WI in Nicolet National Forest

Perhaps the longest known place to offroad in Wisconsin is the Pipeline. This is thee place for "muddin". Located only a few miles from McCaslin Campground in Lakewood, Wi. The Pipeline offers some rock and off camber trails, but is mostly for the typical mud truck. Memorial weekend is one of the busiest times, as for a lot of people come for camping, drinking, and wheelin. There are some spots given good rain seasons, that can swallow your vehicle hole! So being careful, knowing the depth of the water, and trails should be your first priority when checking this place out. Free to public, and open almost all year. Tread lightly at the Pipeline, due to being in the National Forest. Having a winch, if your alone should be on the list if you plan on deep mudding, otherwise make sure you have a friend to pull you out! There is more than enough information that you can find all over the internet about the Pipeline located in Northeast Wisconsin. Forums, are a great place to check out peoples experiences, and knowledge of the area.
I thought the DNR shut this down a while ago? When was the last time you were there? It is my experience that going off road is not allowed in the state of Wisconsin due to the DNR being Nazis and the local environmentalists being worse. I would love to be wrong about this, but it sure seems like Wisconsin hates us.

I lurk at the Denver and Utah regional threads like an envious lout.

(sorry if this sounds so negative, Wisconsin is a nice place to live for a lot of reasons, but the offroading here is just depressing to me)

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
I thought the DNR shut this down a while ago? When was the last time you were there? It is my experience that going off road is not allowed in the state of Wisconsin due to the DNR being Nazis and the local environmentalists being worse. I would love to be wrong about this, but it sure seems like Wisconsin hates us.

I lurk at the Denver and Utah regional threads like an envious lout.

(sorry if this sounds so negative, Wisconsin is a nice place to live for a lot of reasons, but the offroading here is just depressing to me)
Never been there, just read about it. Didn't know it was closed. Yes, as far as off-roading goes, WI is very depressing...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Sections of the Pipeline are still open. I know some of it got closed due to people doing their own exploring. I do know all the big trucks go up there and rut it up pretty good.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Saw a 2014 TTUE at Daniel Boone yesterday in the handicap spot.
you may have been on the 100/200yd range. Anyone here? :wave:

41 - 60 of 147 Posts