Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend, my girlfriend got her 2007 FJ stuck in mud. Eventually once we got out, the 4 wheel drive light and VSC Off light is on, and the Transfer Case does not come out of 4 wheel drive, no matter where the Shifter is. Anybody run into this before? The vehicle has the 6MT transmission. The 4 wheel drive selector moves into all positions, but the transfer case doesnt actually change and the 4x4 light and VSC OFF lights stay on.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
As woodsltc mentiones, the manual transmissions are permanent 4wheel drive.

The transfer case is mechanical, if you can move it, it's switching to the position it's in, mechanically. I would look for transfer case switches for a possible electrical problem, which is pretty common with water/mud.

If you can't move it, you've probably got a mechanical problem, which you should probably get it towed somewhere you can look at it/have it looked at. One time a buddy here couldn't shift out of low in his manual, by waiting and letting things cool down it started shifting normally.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This works! My dog bumped the 4WD shifter, and it was stuck in HL. Thanks to FJ FunJunkie, I tried switching it back and forth, into H, then drove in reverse while swerving a little back and forth. The light came off, and I was back in 2WD. It actuall sort of mentions this in the manual:

To shift from “HL” to “H”,
simply move
the four−wheel drive control lever.
This can be done at any vehicle speed.
You need not depress the clutch pedal.
If the indicator light does not go off when
you shift the transfer into “H”, drive
straight ahead while accelerating or decel-
erating, or drive in reverse

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Are you feeling positive gate and movement in the transfer shifter? Could the linkage be disconnected? IDK, just a thought. I've not seen how everything is connected, just the top of my shifter knob in the cabin.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
going out out on a limb here Jose, but I think the original poster got it resolved in 2011....6 years ago.

Welcome to the forum. Pay attention to the original posting date.
Sure hope he did.... :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts