Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 371 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
I had it happen once to me with my tires at 35 psi. But I was going too fast for what my intentions were anyway, then I tried to stop quickly on a road made from potholes on top of potholes. I ended up turning into the parking lot way faster than usual. I got a little wheel squeal, but everything worked out for me.

One thing I've noticed, especially with the potholes and a ridged tire(higher psi), is you get a little more bounce, and hop. a situation the FJ doesn't seem to know what to do with. I've had it let go of all the wheels, which is really scary when your headed right at the back of a big truck.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i usually run at 30psi...and it occurs to my FJ on road as well as on trails.
the vsc/abs off switch is the only solution??

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
That has happened to me about 3 times also, almost went through a stop sign a couple of times when i hit some pot holes right before the intersection. Scared the crap out of me every time.
In April it will be 2 years i own my FJ and still love it like the 1st day i got it

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had a similar issue with my '95 Blazer (way back when). ABS system was horrible and I complained about it all the time. Eventually, I traded it in for a Grand Cherokee. 2 weeks latter I got a re-call notice from Chevy regarding "faulty ABS" system. Figures. Wonder if that may happen some day.

By the way, nice bike. I've got a 14 also. You've got good taste in vehicles! :rocker:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Happened to me few days ago, almost went into an intersection :eek:
This is not normal, I don't care what tire pressure you run. The truck just keeps rolling and takes too long to stop. Every vehicle I have ever driven never had manners such as this, someone eventually is going to run into the vehicle in front of them (I almost did) or cross into an intersection.

keep documenting these incidents.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
I don't have this on either of my FJ's, the lifted
or Stock, except under an extreeme circumstances
with the lifted FJ, such as stopping real hard and
hittting pot holes or such (uneven manhole cover
you may say), or while doing a combination of
braking and turning and hitting the same...

The first time it happened, I was alarmed, since
the FJ was only a month old at the time, but I did
lift it and have 34's on her... After know this was
a possibility, so I drive accordingly, and don't run
up on traffic or red lights, stop signs, etc, so It no
longer happens to me, in fact, I can't remember
the last time at all, besides the snow/ice covered
roads last week...

We had a dodge durango we just paid off and got
rid of just before we got the two FJ's, and it had
very sensitive ABS system, to the point that the
wife was scared to drive it, hence the reason we
sold her...

And as far as our stock FJ, it has never happen in
it to me or the wife...

I guess the ABS is a tad too sensitive woud be my
guess...

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I had a similar issue with my '95 Blazer (way back when). ABS system was horrible and I complained about it all the time. Eventually, I traded it in for a Grand Cherokee. 2 weeks latter I got a re-call notice from Chevy regarding "faulty ABS" system. Figures. Wonder if that may happen some day.

By the way, nice bike. I've got a 14 also. You've got good taste in vehicles! :rocker:
Would like to see Toyota address this one. Thanks for the compliment. I love my ZX-14! :ninja:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Funny.....I was just going to post that my 2001 Astro had the worst ABS I've ever encountered.....
Trying to stop that beast with that system is a nightmare. And it happened to me all the time.

Nice one Noisycow....

·
Registered
755 Posts
Well, I finally encountered what this thread was talking about. The passenger front was on snow/ice and the driver's front on the tarmac. I put my on the brake pedal and the truck kept on going so I had to release and put my foot back on the pedal to stop. It opened up my eyes as I nearly went through the intersection.

I think this thread should move to the 'problems' area.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Found this thread too and this happened to me every time I would come to a certain stop sign near a school. Scared the crap out of me. I would come up to a cross walk/stop sign not at a high speed and apply breaks. I would hit uneven pavement and pot hole and the FJ would just slide. I learned to release breaks and hit them again to stop. I see more members w/ the same issue just like the "lunge". Shall we call this the "slide"?

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
When this happens to you, try stepping harder
on the brake... In my case, when I do get the
'slide'(LOLOL) I just step harder (if stopping is
critical) and it get's the message, just make
sure your seatbelt is on before hand...

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
That does appear to work... and you're right about the seat belt.. It really cranks it down.. Cheers.. Ron

When this happens to you, try stepping harder
on the brake... In my case, when I do get the
'slide'(LOLOL) I just step harder (if stopping is
critical) and it get's the message, just make
sure your seatbelt is on before hand...

·
Registered
755 Posts
Snowing tonight JUST missed a three car accident that unfolded right in front of me. Brakes were USELESS. Swerved to avoid and luckily the guy on my left reacted quickly as I'd hoped and went left onto the grass.:flame:
IF the road is slippery then I'll expect the worse out of the brakes since all four wheels will be on the same surface. However, if one wheel is on a slippery surface and the rest are on a dry or grippy surface and the vehicle keeps going longer than it should, then something is obviously wrong.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
IF the road is slippery then I'll expect the worse out of the brakes since all four wheels will be on the same surface. However, if one wheel is on a slippery surface and the rest are on a dry or grippy surface and the vehicle keeps going longer than it should, then something is obviously wrong.
Agreed, to a certain degree. However without the ABS system I would be able to feather the brake pedal and modulate the force applied to the wheels. WITH the ABS, once it starts its "dance" it doesn't let up until you remove your foot COMPLETELY from the pedal. THAT is just plain dangerous. I think it is the poorly conceived COMBINATION of ABS and BRAKE ASSIST that causes this problem.

21 - 40 of 371 Posts