Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Make no mistake. I absolutely love hopping in my '07 and taking it everywhere. When I got the car it was 118k on the clock and 10 years old, the suspension felt tired. Now 10k miles in, I was working on replacing some of the bushings and arms. What a difference night and day. I imagine the '12+ feel so proper! Ever since I've been giving new life to the suspension, the car has been such a blast to drive harder. Any of you older gen FJs feeling the car's age? Have you decided to wait for it to fall apart before replacing? Also my bushings are intact but showing signs of surface cracks. Maybe there's some compromise in road manners but if you drive an older gen FJ, consider replacing them even if they look okay. Age and wear and tear may be catching up!

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Make no mistake. I absolutely love hopping in my '07 and taking it everywhere. When I got the car it was 118k on the clock and 10 years old, the suspension felt tired. Now 10k miles in, I was working on replacing some of the bushings and arms. What a difference night and day. I imagine the '12+ feel so proper! Ever since I've been giving new life to the suspension, the car has been such a blast to drive harder. Any of you older gen FJs feeling the car's age? Have you decided to wait for it to fall apart before replacing? Also my bushings are intact but showing signs of surface cracks. Maybe there's some compromise in road manners but if you drive an older gen FJ, consider replacing them even if they look okay. Age and wear and tear may be catching up!
I think it's the kings :wink

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
@Loganbeere :lol: I'm talking about the bushings. After changing panhard, i feel less lateral uneasiness in turns. I don't think kings are miracles in a coilover... Or are they...

Just kidding with you but they say kings ride like a Cadillac. The only FJ I test drove is the one I bought, a 2013. Don't have anything to compare to.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just kidding with you but they say kings ride like a Cadillac. The only FJ I test drove is the one I bought, a 2013. Don't have anything to compare to.
Now that's commitment! Married to the first FJ you test drove :grin:

·
Registered
327 Posts
No disrespect to the newer FJ owners, but I prefer my 08. I drove 3 FJ's, one was a brick red 08 with 173,000 miles, a green 2012, and then my Titanium 08, and I preferred the 2008's due to the fact that the older 1GR-FE 4.0 (2007 - 09) loves to cruise at low RPMs, right in the sweet spot, whereas the 2010+ dual VVT-i makes more power, but up further in the RPM band, where trucks like these don't live.

Also, the oil filter being accessible on the top, and availability of the supercharger make this the better platform in my eyes for the DIY folks.

Again, no disrespect to all the newer FJ folks, I love all FJ's, I am just very fond of my 08 over the rest.

I know there were many other upgrades for the 2010+, stronger diff, etc., but I would not trade my 08 for anything. I will say it only now crested 51K miles, so there's that...

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
I know there were many other upgrades for the 2010+, stronger diff, etc., but I would not trade my 08 for anything.
I agree. Most of the 2010+ upgrades can be retrofitted to the earlier models too. While retaining the ability to do the big one (supercharger) like you said.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,759 Posts
That's actually a really good tip. I think the panhard bushings will soon be the only OE ones left on my rig, and replacing those bushings makes good sense...also cheaper than replacing the whole bar. And I'm sure the Kings have a little something to do with your Rolls Ride :grin

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
No disrespect to the newer FJ owners, but I prefer my 08. I drove 3 FJ's, one was a brick red 08 with 173,000 miles, a green 2012, and then my Titanium 08, and I preferred the 2008's due to the fact that the older 1GR-FE 4.0 (2007 - 09) loves to cruise at low RPMs, right in the sweet spot, whereas the 2010+ dual VVT-i makes more power, but up further in the RPM band, where trucks like these don't live.

Also, the oil filter being accessible on the top, and availability of the supercharger make this the better platform in my eyes for the DIY folks.

Again, no disrespect to all the newer FJ folks, I love all FJ's, I am just very fond of my 08 over the rest.

I know there were many other upgrades for the 2010+, stronger diff, etc., but I would not trade my 08 for anything. I will say it only now crested 51K miles, so there's that...

I'm jealous of you guys with the oil filter under the hood. The new cartridge is messy to change. Always get oil dripping down my arm and elbow. The engine bay also has lots of space compared to a 2013.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's actually a really good tip. I think the panhard bushings will soon be the only OE ones left on my rig, and replacing those bushings makes good sense...also cheaper than replacing the whole bar. And I'm sure the Kings have a little something to do with your Rolls Ride :grin
Whoa deb! Hardcore. Are yours all solid heims and johnny joints by now? :rocker: I'm looking forward to refreshing the front LCA and the rear lower links soon. We drive tough and ready off road vehicles, but that doesn't mean we have to compromise leaving it in worn condition. Point being, I heard someone say, "Why even get an alignment? As soon as you go offroad, it's going to knock it off anyway." That reasoning seems really shortsighted and to be honest, the rig drives better now than when I purchased it from a commuter family.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,759 Posts
Whoa deb! Hardcore. Are yours all solid heims and johnny joints by now? :rocker: I'm looking forward to refreshing the front LCA and the rear lower links soon. We drive tough and ready off road vehicles, but that doesn't mean we have to compromise leaving it in worn condition. Point being, I heard someone say, "Why even get an alignment? As soon as you go offroad, it's going to knock it off anyway." That reasoning seems really shortsighted and to be honest, the rig drives better now than when I purchased it from a commuter family.
Lol it just sorta happened...in the mod process - one thing lead to another! But I completely agree that she drives/rides better than ever :smile Mine is an 07 bought with 77k before I even knew what wheeling was.....she "introduced" me, for which I'm grateful and will be eternally loyal :grin I think keeping up with maintenance and alignments is like my part of the bargain, and she's treated me extremely well as a result. Have had an unreasonable amount of good luck, so I know she's looking out for me too :wink

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
James, as you know mine is also an '07, but I have less than 80K on the ODO.
I had the OME heavy duty springs/coilovers and medium duty OME springs and shocks in the rear put on at ARB headquarters back around December of 2006 along with my ARB bumper and Warn XD9000 winch from the 4Runner.

Rig still feels tight to me, but sometime I will have the suspension checked next time at the dealer or the off-raod shop, and may upgrade to the new OME stuff with the reservoir shocks.

I have low mileage as my round trip is only 29 miles per day for work.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I'm jealous of you guys with the oil filter under the hood. The new cartridge is messy to change. Always get oil dripping down my arm and elbow.
Not sure how you get oil dripping down your arm ... are you using the little snap-in oil drain "widget" (supplied with the filter, along with the new O-rings) to drain all the oil out of the filter housing cap before you unscrew it?

There's a check valve in the bottom of the filter housing cap; when you snap in the plastic drain widget, it opens the check valve and allows the oil trapped in the cap to drain out through the widget and the hose you attach to the widget. Use the widget, do the change with warm oil, allow everything to drain for 5 minutes before you unscrew the cap, and there will be very little residual oil in the cap or in the filter element.

The one drawback I see to the top-mounted screw-on filter is that the overall oil flow path, from the oil pump to the crankshaft main and rod bearings, is much, much longer on the '07 - '09 engines than on the '10+ engines. In the Gen-1 engines it's a few feet, while in the Gen-2 engines it's a few inches. This is probably only a concern when the engine is cold-started at very low temperatures, or after sitting a long time (weeks) without being run, when there would be a delay in achieving full oil pressure at the bearings.

The top-mounted filter is much, much faster and easier to change as no skid plate removal is needed.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
The top-mounted filter is much, much faster and easier to change as no skid plate removal is needed.
With my Fumoto valve and top mount oil filter I can do an oil change completely tool-less in 5 minutes. Bet you can't do that in a 2010+

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm jealous of you guys with the oil filter under the hood.
I didn't think anyone would be jealous of the 07-09! Huzzahhhh!

Lol it just sorta hhappene ..before I even knew what wheeling was.....she "introduced" me
Don't short yourself. There's a lot of good choices based on your judgement. Choosing the right line on the trails and picking the perfect vehicle to do it in!

With my Fumoto vvalve.... Bet you can't do that in a 2010+
Are those pretty safe on all rigs, regardless if you're on oem or aftermarket skids? I don't mind busting a knuckle or two but those look neat.

James, as you know mine is also an '07, but I have less than 80K on the ODO. ...may upgrade to the new OME stuff with the reservoir shocks.

I have low mileage as my round trip is only 29 miles per day for work.
I'm almost double your commute. Love every mile in her.
Nobody knows your rig better than you. I'm noticing the benefits of maintenance/replacements. In the past, i may have taken my car to the mechanic and he'd tell me the bushings are worn but could hold off on replacing. And I wouldn't think twice, just leaving it. Glad I'm being a bit more proactive. I can really feel a difference :bigthumb:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Like probably everyone, I like my year the best... haha, no particular reason except the cement color.
I was kind of shocked first oil change I did with the canister. More like what I'm used to with my KTM than a truck but it's a minor thing. Old, new, they all have some little endearing quality...

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
Are those pretty safe on all rigs, regardless if you're on oem or aftermarket skids? I don't mind busting a knuckle or two but those look neat...

I've got the Fumoto with the nipple so I can put a length of 3/8" tube on it for a less messy drain. overall its propable 1-1/4" down from the bottom of the oil pan but still 1/2" to 3/4" above my RCI skids. Swapping to the nipple-less (He said nipple :rofl:) would raise it up another 1/2". But I completely trust it the way I've got it now

...I'm almost double your commute. Love every mile in her.

I've got a 1 mile commute... round trip.
I was kind of shocked first oil change I did with the canister. More like what I'm used to with my KTM than a truck but it's a minor thing.

You should see where the canister is on the mid-2000's LC4 KTM's, youve gotta un-bolt the engine from the frame and tip it to clear the lower frame rail...
I'll grab pics of the Fumoto later

1 - 20 of 24 Posts