Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Wraven's Spod Install/Review

12K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  tgormtx 
#1 ·
This is what PIAA wants you to use when installing a set of their lights....

Enter sPOD - a solution designed to use our factory blank switches for our current and future accessories. www.4x4s-pod.com

Like any good "owner" my FJ received a Christmas gift earlier!

Now I want to be the first to say that this is not a "cheap" solution. I already have a completely isolated circuit in my FJ that cost me almost the same amount as the sPOD. My isolated circuit is not nearly as clean or well thought out as the sPOD system. The reason I went with yet another isolated circuit was exclusively for my lighting needs, as I plan to add more lighting options in the future with my FJ and didn't want the hassle of running one switch/power/ground at a time as I added them.

But enough of what is, what haves, and what nots..lets get to the pictures!

So whats in the box? When it arrives? I open the box to find a personalized letter placed cleverly on top to be found upon opening. The letter is infact personalized based on a phone conversation I had with John, the Owner. That's a nice way to start off. (Picture slightly blurred on purpose for privacy)

Lets continue in the box!
I also found a very well written (and in color) installation write up!

And then we get to the hardware!

So whats all these goodies look like out of the box?

I want to point out that, minus the tools, everything I need to install this system is in the picture, from Zip ties (quality ones with metal tabs), shrink wrap, switches, fuses and even spade connectors for the accessories.

When I was installing my own isolated circuit, I took at least 3 separate trips to the "store" to buy additional items i didn't think about or didn't think I would need.

So lets take a closer look at the wires...I spent a good bit of money on the wiring for my first isolated circuit, but these wires and wire looms are a step ahead.

Every wire is clearly marked and identified. A+!

The Source upclose! Feels nice a solid

---------------------------

After about 2 hours of install time with the referenced install instructions that came with the system. (I took it slow) here is the final product installed in my FJ.

The system is great and works well with the dual battery set up. I really like the low voltage cut off, that way If I do happen to leave a light on, it will kill them automatically for me before draining the battery completely.

The real benefit to this system that I see personally is that I ran one single cable into the cabin for 6 switches! Even if I don't plan to use six separate devices right now, they are there and active, all I have to do is run a power and ground from my accessories to the sPOD and flip a switch that is already installed in the cabin and I have full use of my accessory! That is amazingly appealing to me as I don't plan to add all of my lighting plans to the FJ in one sitting as I'm sure most of us piece meal our mods one at a time!

To add to this - John also offered to send me some pigtail bypasses he is working on to bypass the relay. This would be beneficial for individuals that would want to add an accessory that needs an always-on power source.

A+ for this mod presently
A+ for this mod in the future as well for adding accessories with ease.

----------
Footnote: I am not affiliated with sPOD in any way, I haven't seen much traffic on the forums about this product and figured I would attempt to do it properly!

See less See more
#6 ·
345 seems high but the ease of install and quality is worth it imo. Especially for those that might not be very electrically inclined.

I have purchased one and Josh and John were awsome answering every question I had before and after. Great customer service and a solid product that works.

Nice write up

#7 ·
NorCal FJs were doing a group buy on this a few months ago. Looks like a great setup. :rocker:

#11 ·
I installed one of the early units. It was well worth the money. It's very high quality, and a dead easy install. Connecting driving lights or a compressor is crazy easy now.

#12 ·
Will validate all the above. Simple installation. Well thought out design, application, and product.

Simplifies additions.

sPod guys are awesome to deal with. Customer service was top notch.

Chris Delancy

#13 ·
One question I have, in regards to, for those that have installed. I posed to sPod Guy, and he strongly suggested against, but has anyone rigged to only power with ignition?

#19 ·
Wireless to activate the individual circuits? I can't find the YouTube link.

Pretty cool feature. sPod is one of my favorite mods to date.

#24 ·
A switch is a switch, and it can be done.

Search "PIN layout request for OEM switches". If the Aux switches aren't shown, I have them as well.

#28 ·
Baz,
An OEM, lighted switch without etching, preferred. Then there may be a possibility to etch them. I haven't disassembled one, but assuming the switch face could be removed without ruining.

It's crazy that there's (6) OEM blank locations in lower console and tge drivers side panel, yet Toyota only has three switches for.

#29 ·
G'day Chris,
LOL, it sure is crazy !!!!!
hmmm, I'll keep hunting....
My contact at Toy here, wasn't much, but then again didn't really expect he would be...
I have been able to order the rear fog switch, coming from Japan, I'll post a pix of it once i get it, but it won't help you much... unless it has some marking on it, that we can zero in on.... never know your lucky in the big city... haha
Cheers
Baz

#30 ·
can't see any of the photos on this thread...anyone else having this problem?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.