Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a new set of wrenches to add to the truck tool bag. I have a socket set already, but not a set of open/box end wrenches.

I'm thinking I want a ratcheting box end as it can save some time. but I have a few questions for anyone who knows.

1. will a ratcheting end break a lot easier than a non-ratcheting if/when I really crank on it?
2. Is there a major different in 6 point vs 12 point? (6 points seem to be a lot harder to find)
3. What manufacturer do you recommend?

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
There's lots of good tools around. For the truck, I would buy a set of Chicago tool or similar at Harbor Freight. I have Craftsman tools at home, but I supplement with cheaper tools. The ratchet wrenches are too expensive and not really needed for a truck bag IMO. 6-point sockets are almost always the better choice for any serious mechanic type work. 12-point is ok for light weight work and the occasion where you can't get the angle to use a 6-point. Check HF for the black impact sockets. I have a complete set in both 3/8 and 1/2 that I've used for 25 years and never broken a single one. I have broken a Craftsman socket, but not the cheap impact sockets. Get a 2 1/2 ' (foot) long 1/2" breaker bar there for $10 and adapters to 3/8. It will come in very handy. While you're there get a 1/2 and 3/8 torque wrench <$20 each. For general use, they are great.. Ron

PS: When you get serious about a home set.. But one of the $200 Craftsman mechanics sets, the ones in the plastic box with slide out drawers. A larger toolbox for the garage is helpful as well. It'll take time, but it's a hobby right?

I'm looking for a new set of wrenches to add to the truck tool bag. I have a socket set already, but not a set of open/box end wrenches.

I'm thinking I want a ratcheting box end as it can save some time. but I have a few questions for anyone who knows.

1. will a ratcheting end break a lot easier than a non-ratcheting if/when I really crank on it?
2. Is there a major different in 6 point vs 12 point? (6 points seem to be a lot harder to find)
3. What manufacturer do you recommend?

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
There's lots of good tools around. For the truck, I would buy a set of Chicago tool or similar at Harbor Freight. I have Craftsman tools at home, but I supplement with cheaper tools. The ratchet wrenches are too expensive and not really needed for a truck bag IMO. 6-point sockets are almost always the better choice for any serious mechanic type work. 12-point is ok for light weight work and the occasion where you can't get the angle to use a 6-point. Check HF for the black impact sockets. I have a complete set in both 3/8 and 1/2 that I've used for 25 years and never broken a single one. I have broken a Craftsman socket, but not the cheap impact sockets. Get a 2 1/2 ' (foot) long 1/2" breaker bar there for $10 and adapters to 3/8. It will come in very handy. While you're there get a 1/2 and 3/8 torque wrench <$20 each. For general use, they are great.. Ron

PS: When you get serious about a home set.. But one of the $200 Craftsman mechanics sets, the ones in the plastic box with slide out drawers. A larger toolbox for the garage is helpful as well. It'll take time, but it's a hobby right?
X2 on the above!

I'd also add that the racheting end wrenches are for lighter duty work. If you are going to torque down on a bolt or need to loosen a stuck one, you need a good box end wrench or a 6-point socket with a long breaker bar.

A great all around tool kit is available at Sam's Club for $68. It's made by Cresent (SP?) and includes 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drives rachets and sockets as well as end wrenches in both SAE and metric sizes.

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I heard about that kit and was going to look, but I forgot about it (i.e. getting old..LOL). I normally make up a roadtrip kit from my garage tools, but i may just buy something like that. Does it have it's own travel case? Ron

I keep one os these as well..

Pep Boys In-Store Specials

X2 on the above!

I'd also add that the racheting end wrenches are for lighter duty work. If you are going to torque down on a bolt or need to loosen a stuck one, you need a good box end wrench or a 6-point socket with a long breaker bar.

A great all around tool kit is available at Sam's Club for $68. It's made by Cresent (SP?) and includes 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drives rachets and sockets as well as end wrenches in both SAE and metric sizes.

cheers,

dale

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
I heard about that kit and was going to look, but I forgot about it (i.e. getting old..LOL). I normally make up a roadtrip kit from my garage tools, but i may just buy something like that. Does it have it's own travel case? Ron

I keep one os these as well..

Pep Boys In-Store Specials
Yes, it comes in a nice carrying case.

cheers,

dale

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
I keep that kit in my FJ and have been very happy with it. They're not expensive tools and I supplement them with a misc. assortment of tools in a canvas bag I carry, but the Crescent kit is good enough. It's never a bad idea to have a breaker bar.

And while we're on the subject of tools in the FJ, consider a crow bar. There have been several times when it came in very handy.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Whoa, $37 a lap, eh? Not too shabby...

Oops, thread hijack...

·
Registered
150 Posts
personally not a fan of racheting wrenches because if they break your done, but they are convenient. i have a small kit of minor hand tools for everyday carry and a larger set I throw in for trail use. on road trips 90% of repairs can be done with a screw driver and from 8 to 13 mm sockets or wrenches.

you know cutting weight where I can, gas prices suck!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts