Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
NEVERMIND - WTB Camburg UCA (ball joint style)

See Posts Below... Ordered New Set for $379 from wheelersoffroad... TY

WTB Camburg UCA (ball joint style) :cheers:

Thanks for LOOKIN !.... 8-D:wave:

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
I have them and love them...but were they supposed to come with some kind of cap??? I get a bunch off dirt and grime just sitting on top of my exposed ball joint zerk.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
I have them and love them...but were they supposed to come with some kind of cap??? I get a bunch off dirt and grime just sitting on top of my exposed ball joint zerk.
I have the same thing on mine. They really should come with a cap. That is my only complaint. I need to make something. I know some guys have found some caps that will work at Lowes and Home Depot in the furniture parts.:cheers:

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeaa, that's horrible, if I were you guys, I would get rid if them right away ! CHEAP. ;)

There is a thread were someone added a cap to theirs on the forum somewhere, I'm also sure a purfect rubber cap exist on the web somewhere too... Or one could be lathed out of alum with a set screw and groove for an o-ring ! :D

·
Registered
321 Posts
I just went to Home Depot and found a round black metal cap that inserts in house doors where the door knob would go. I just used that with some clear silicone and It worked out really well and looks good too. I will take a picture and post it.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, Do that with an extended zerk... that would seal it and make it still greasable (for those joints with that option)....

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Well at least I didnt lose the parts! guess i will head to Home Depot and get creative... maybe we will have to start a list of "best caps"...then send it to Camburg! lol

·
Registered
321 Posts
Heres a picture of my home depot cap

[/IMG]

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Yeaa, that's horrible, if I were you guys, I would get rid if them right away ! CHEAP. ;)

There is a thread were someone added a cap to theirs on the forum somewhere, I'm also sure a purfect rubber cap exist on the web somewhere too... Or one could be lathed out of alum with a set screw and groove for an o-ring ! :D
That person was me. I was the first to post pictures of them with the plastic and rubber covers I found at the Depot. Since I bought my camburgs I have never removed my home made dust covers. No need to. They are silicon in.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just ordered a set from wheelersoffroad for $379.... I will play with a few ideas once they get here on copping them, thinking of using an extended grease fitting so that the fitting is accessible from outside the cap....

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Keep us updated,You know where to find me. ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
For those of you with these installed, did you reuse the factory ball joint or replace it? I have these UCAs and my lift kit ready to be installed, but I don't want to start until I know if I need to get new joints.

If the factory joints are reused, is there anything special that has to be done to get it into the Camburg UCA?

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I would recommend to replace the ball joints. You can buy Moog joints from rockauto.com for $32.79 each, plus I have a discount code if you or anyone else would like to use it. enter code #60185953662770 in the "how did you hear about us" section in the shopping cart.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did not reuse my old joints, I got the moot ones from Advance Auto, they always have a 15% discount for ordering online, but allow you to pickup locally, and will let you know where they have them in stock... The new joints will need to be pressed in... I purchased a harbor freight 12ton press, since I had other things to use it for too... Prolly a shop could press them in for you, or a couple big sockets and a big vice...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I ended up ordering the Moogs from Rockauto.com. Thanks for the discount code 08fjcruz. Now I just need to get them pressed in. I can't believe how much the shops around here want to do them ($70-100). I'll probably end up renting a press from AutoZone.

Anyone know if you have to remove the grease boot before pressing? The boot on these new Moogs doesn't seem like it slides off...

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wiggled the boot thru when doing mine... Be carefull not to pinch the boot ! ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I wiggled the boot thru when doing mine... Be carefull not to pinch the boot ! ;)
Yeah, after fiddling with it some more I realized it would slide through. Too bad the C-Arm of the ball joint press I was able to rent wasn't long enough to fit the press cups needed to get the job done. Looks like I'll have to take it to a shop after all. :rawr: So much for DIY to stay on budget.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not sure what type you rented, but used just about anything I can find to press things, piece of pipe from home depot, large sockets, anything that works to extend the length/depth if the press throw...

I went with buying a press from harbor freight, it was cheaper in the long run, plus I found it on sale, plus a discount coupon code, ended up being $99....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts