Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a hidden winch bumper for the FJ. U.S Offroad would be nice or something similar. Not really sure who is making them nowadays.

Pm if you have one.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Looking for a hidden winch bumper for the FJ. U.S Offroad would be nice or something similar. Not really sure who is making them nowadays.

Pm if you have one.
I have a US Offtoad one that has worked out fine! From my research, there are only two manufacturers of hidden winch bumpers. I like the hidden winch look to the point that I cut and re-fitted the grill back into the slot opening. In the picture the slot is open because I pop out the grill for quick winch access while wheeling then just snap it back in when I get to the road... I should take a pic with the grill in the slot!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. think I might order one directly from them. they are having a sale on them right now it looks like.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a US Offtoad one that has worked out fine! From my research, there are only two manufacturers of hidden winch bumpers. I like the hidden winch look to the point that I cut and re-fitted the grill back into the slot opening. In the picture the slot is open because I pop out the grill for quick winch access while wheeling then just snap it back in when I get to the road... I should take a pic with the grill in the slot! View attachment 1116644
I took an “off-trail” picture to show how it with the grill insert I made. I really like the other idea about covering the hawse with a removable licence plate ... mods to maintain the stock lock?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I took an “off-trail” picture to show how it with the grill insert I made. I really like the other idea about covering the hawse with a removable licence plate ... mods to maintain the stock lock? View attachment 1116707
J Paul,
How did you mod the grille to fit back in?
I'm getting ready to put my hidden winch in & want to keep it as stealth as possible. as far as the hidden/flip-up license plat mount, I have the same set-up as yours, the mounts are flush to the hawse (they mount behind the attachment points) the Smittybilt shackle (any shackle...) will interfere.

D

·
Registered
77 Posts
J Paul,
How did you mod the grille to fit back in?
I'm getting ready to put my hidden winch in & want to keep it as stealth as possible. as far as the hidden/flip-up license plat mount, I have the same set-up as yours, the mounts are flush to the hawse (they mount behind the attachment points) the Smittybilt shackle (any shackle...) will interfere.

D
The bumper installation will produce a throw-away part of the black plastic grill ... ask the installer to set it aside for you. The upper part of the slot is still the stock bumper so, after you cut it to the height of the opening, the extra grill piece will snap right back in. I cut the plastic grill using a Dremel multi-purpose cutter on medium speed. It is slow going through the thick edges but once you get to the cross hatch grill part it goes much quicker... there will be black plastic chips everywhere!
You’re right about room for hook behind the licence plate ... I haven’t figured that out and it’s especially bad for my set up with the Smittybuilt shackle instead of the hook! Might need a stand-off or similar... a flat hook would be easier to hide!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts