Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone switch off to the TRD Short throw shifter and have the original stock handle available...

Mines shot for some reason.... wiggles between the steel shaft and the upper black portion.... ALOT... makes it really hard to find a gear... arrggggg

Thank You...

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did a temp fix via welder and a large grade 8 washer... And I have one on the way from a user here !

Thanks Much ! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Here is the grade 8 washer fix I did....

I cut a large washer in half, stuck it in a vice and used pliers to twist it to fit the curve of the upper shaft... I used the two halfs for this and added them oppisite of each other,,,

Here blow is the finished welded piece... its' SOLID !.... It feels great to be able to find a gear again without all the slop...

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a great idea I am going to give a goo as my current shifter has bit the dust... also, welding it solid transfers the gear mesh sound into the cab, hence a newer direction is needed.

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/for...ction-aids/206962-no-more-sloppy-shifter.html

I'm not sure if anyone else has had this issue, but the rubber bushing in the shift rod on my 2007 6MT with 50k miles had pretty much disintegrated to nothing. I had at least an inch of play either way while in gear. The extra weight of my TWM Desert Eagle shift knob probably wasn't helping either. A URD short shift kit was also installed.

I researched how to fix this issue and came up with this: Basically pull the shifter out, pull the two pieces apart, clean out what's left of the old rubber bushing, and mix up some two-part urethane to replace the old bushing. I used Flexane 80 ( Amazon.com: Flexane® 80 Black Liquid: Home Improvement ).

I was also able to push the the lower rod about an inch or so further into the top rod then it was initially. Hence, lowering the overall length of the shift rod. Combined with the TWM shift knob the shifter feels awesome now. Short, smooth, maybe a little notchy, but precise without any grinding. It kinda reminds me of my old S2000.

I should've take some pictures of the process, but I was short on time. Here's the picture that inspired me to do it. I'll try to add one tomorrow of the current shift height.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is the grade 8 washer fix I did....

I cut a large washer in half, stuck it in a vice and used pliers to twist it to fit the curve of the upper shaft... I used the two halfs for this and added them oppisite of each other,,,

Here blow is the finished welded piece... its' SOLID !.... It feels great to be able to find a gear again without all the slop...

Bandi,
I am having the same issue but cannot see these pictures of your washer-weld fix. Van you send them to me?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts