Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand people bringing 4Runners and Tacoma's (was surprised last year but kind of used to it this year). But why the hell is there a Volkswagen and especially WTF with a Nissan Xterra Trail Leader? What is going to happen next year? Chevy Trucks, Dodge Rams??? This is called FJ Summit, if we are going to have other toyota's then change the name.

Why are these non toyota's allowed to take a slot away from a toyota owner? There was a wait list, I know of a few FJ owners that wanted to participate and couldn't.

Is there no screening of vehicles by the organizers? I understand people are busy but something needs to be done.

You all have lost control!

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Ok I can understand that your upset about VW and Nissan being there but in all fairness it's first come first serve man. Sure they aren't Toyotas but you know what? I had the Xterra as a trail leader on Black Bear and he was one of the best leaders there, and was extremely nice as well. The VW was in my Poughkeepsie group and you know what else he was a great guy and was also super nice. So what if they don't have FJs, at the end of the day, it's not about what your driving, it's about the friends and people you meet and memories you make. And im really sorry about your friends but if they wanted to go that bad they need to sign up super early!!! Cause it fills up like crazy.

:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
I thought it was a Toyota only event? Aren't all TLCA sanctioned events Toyotas only as well? Is the summit a TLCA event? I know i have seen it every year in Toyota Trails.

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
I have to agree with Lay on this one. I don't care how 'nice' other owners are, this is a specific event. I don't understand the mindset of the non Toyota owners that sign up? They either cant read the event name, or are just rude. If the event didn't sell out, I could understand, so shame on the people taking registration. I mean, I say one off color comment on the forum, and I get policed immediately, you mean to tell me people cant handle registration? It is the FJ SUMMIT, lets keep it that way. There are plenty of other events the rest of the year!

Sent from my C771 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
Maybe there is more to their stories?? If your Toyota somehow went out of commission, maybe you would find a quick replacement so you could go ride with your buddies??

Just a thought...

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
The summit is not a TLCA event at all. TLCA had a tent there but you dont have to be a member to attend or register.

The Xterra belongs to Justin with Tread Lightly who are a sponsor of the event and help to keep 4wheeling access open. So ease up.

I think the FJ community is a great group of people and i think part of that is due to the fact that we are not exclusive or snobby about who is on the trail (at least i try to be).

Also dont forget that one of the people who plays a key role in making the possible and works tirelessly to organize it every year has had a Scout from the beginning.

I also know of a few people who have formed relationships with this group of people when they had an FJ and now still support our community even after having moved on to different vehicles.

The fact that people like that want to attend the fj summit should just be seen as a compliment not as an invasion of our event.

IMHO the summit should (and will) remain FJ centric simply due to where/how it is advertised and where it comes from.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I registered in early March and I think remembering being fairly early but not right after registration started. By mid-late May the were down to the final 10 slots. That means that FJ owners had over 2 months to register and plan their trip, which I think is fair. If in years to come registration fills up in the first days or hours after being open I can see introducing a system where FJ owners are given priority with a wait-list for other vehicles. The way things are now I don't think there is reason to worry and you can't really claim that the are taking spots away from FJs.

As for those saying there are plenty of other events in the year.... well the same goes for you. If you get your panties in a wad because an Xterra is leading an FJ trail run, there are tons of TLCA events where you can't register without a Toyota so maybe go to those if it's an issue for you.

In addition most people are pretty courteous about realizing it's an FJ event. Last year we had a Ford Raptor attend but IIRC there was a thread before the event asking if they were welcome and if it's ok. Pretty sure nobody is sitting in their secret underground lair filled with Jeeps, Nissans and VWs hatching an evil plan to ruin your Summit.

It goes both ways as well. The Toyota Jamboree in Buena Vista used to be the 4Runner Jamboree but they don't boot you if you don't drive a 4Runner.

Maybe next year progolfer, you just need to launch your own event where everybody has an FJ Cruiser, nobody uses those pesky outdated CBs, and hangs out in Rigdway where the free beer is so much better. I don't mean to offend you or pick a fight but if you have so many complaints about the event maybe there are simply better options out there. Just cause you have an FJC doesn't mean that the Summit is only offroad event you can attend and there are plenty of grass roots events around the country that cater all sorts of needs and desires, from expeditions to buggy type trails everything is possible.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
I just got rid of my FJ about 6 weeks ago, and made sure to ask if it was ok to still show up to summit as I had already purchased my slot as well as reserving 10 camping slots for others that could not find slots. A lot of people don't realize that there are a lot of trail runs and as we have seen this year, we still end up having to ask people the day before to lead a run since we do not get enough people leading. Even when I had an FJ, the best thing about the people there was that they didn't care what they drove. I guess this may not be the case now. Summit is an event that is on my wife and I's list to do every year because of the friends we meet and the great time we have. I guess with opinions like this we may change our minds. Or maybe just show up with no registration and enjoy the area without going on organized runs. I hope that the people on the runs I led were not offended, as on some of them I was working hard running up and down trails helping people navigate obsticles.

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
I love how gassed up people get on these threads! I wheel with everybody, friends with everybody, etc. I just think that once a year it would be cool to have an FJ event, I assumed it was the Summit? Thats all im sayin, just chill:)

Sent from my C771 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You say first come first serve; but that doesn't work for people. Some people have to wait for vacation approvals (have to deconflict with others at work). Some have other issues and don't want to pay for something if they can't make it. I knew someone would say first come first serve.

That ford raptor should'nt have taken a slot away from a toyota owner. Fine if he wants to show off his truck at the event but thats it - don't run with a Summit organized trail and don't register taking away a slot from someone else. Same applies to the Jeep, Nissan, etc.

Nice people comment; nice people drive all sorts of vehicles. Are you saying that a Prius or Chevy Cavalier should register? What about a Dodge Ram?

Its the FJ Summit, maybe it needs to be called the "what ever you want to drive Summit"

As for my suggestions of Ridgway or other things, it's just that a suggestion. People come from all over and want to know of other things to do in the area. Mine Tours, Horse back riding, rafting, fishing, etc. I used to goto some events that we did a offroad trip to a rafting trip and that was alot of fun.

Just please keep this a toyota event.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
As far as I am concerned, the Summit would not be possible without Ty (StowawayScout). He has never owned a toyota and drives a Scout.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Just please keep this a toyota event.
To me personally that's exactly what it is.... Just happens to be a Toyota event that has a couple of randoms thrown in. Out of the over well over 200 vehicles at the summit I think we can can count the non-Fj (or at least non-Toyota ones) on one or two hands. Out of that small percentage the vast majority have some legitimate tie to the FJ community. Either they are former owners that treasure the camaraderie and the friends they see every year in Ouray for the past 6 years or they are sponsors and organizers that help make the event possible. Groups like Stay The Trail and Tread Lightly are a big part of the reason we have access to the trails we run and why we can have events like the summit in the first place and as non-profits you can't expect them to have an FJ ready for the summit and a Jeep for their Jambos, etc. They bring what they have and I would rather see them as part of our event in another vehicle than miss out on their support.

Please correct me if I'm wrong (as I well could be) but off the top of my head the VW bus was the only vehicle that wasn't a Toyota Where I'm not sure why they decided it would be a good idea to join an FJ Summit.

I totally understand the spirit of threads like this but to me it just simply hasn't reached a point where it's a concern in any way. Once we start seeing Mopar tents at the Best Western I'll be right with you.

And to come back to the first-come first serve issue, I get that not everybody can just hop online sign up and make vacation plan as they desire. I just believe that, given the amount of time it takes registration to fill up currently, a lot of the people who miss out on spots would probably have missed out due to planning/vacation time issues anyway, just to other FJs... I guess whether that's better is another question. If I don't get tickets to a concert because it's sold out I don't start complaining that tickets were sold to people who are less hardcore of a fan than me.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
I just got rid of my FJ about 6 weeks ago, and made sure to ask if it was ok to still show up to summit as I had already purchased my slot as well as reserving 10 camping slots for others that could not find slots. A lot of people don't realize that there are a lot of trail runs and as we have seen this year, we still end up having to ask people the day before to lead a run since we do not get enough people leading. Even when I had an FJ, the best thing about the people there was that they didn't care what they drove. I guess this may not be the case now. Summit is an event that is on my wife and I's list to do every year because of the friends we meet and the great time we have. I guess with opinions like this we may change our minds. Or maybe just show up with no registration and enjoy the area without going on organized runs. I hope that the people on the runs I led were not offended, as on some of them I was working hard running up and down trails helping people navigate obsticles.
You really worked your butt off on Black Bear that day - thanks!! :rocker:

I don't care which vehicles attend or non-FJCs leading runs. I think the main thing for me that makes this special are the FJC-specific raffle and vendors at Summit. I go to plenty of jeep events and always feel left out of those sorts of things but glad that they let non-jeeps run with them. I have friends/family that wheel but don't own FJCs so if we want to attend an event together, someone's going to feel left out.

Like Ranger92, I draw the line at seeing non-FJC vendors/tents popping up at the Best Western.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Progolfer,

I was not a registrant of the FJ Summit this year and simply needed some time away from town so I made the drive south. I could have griped about how the 270+ registrants were causing bottlenecks at the local trails, but I did not. I chose to camp further down the road and planned my trail rides an hour behind the group so not to add to the congestion. In spite of my planning, I still caught up with the groups. Again, I did not gripe but just realized that these people were also enjoying the great outdoors as I intended to do. I enjoyed the camraderie and appreciated them spotting me through some tight sections of Black Bear and Poughkeepsie. I could have complained about the FJ from Texas that was in a hurry to get over another pass, but I did not, I just sent well wishes his way and hoped that the rain did not soak him as he had tube doors on his rig.

I had to wait on Poughkeepsie while another participant helped the disabled Volkswagen get back down the trial. I appreciated the willingness of others to help. It was the same willingness I had witnessed that morning when a group of FJ's were delayed in their travels to Black Bear by a motorcyclist who had attempted to pass the slow moving group and lost control on the road. There were at least 4 participants that got out of their rigs to help out the bikers who proceeded to complain about all the F'n tourists that were taking up the road. I participated in the good will and took the inured biker to Ridgway where they could get the help they needed.

It was a part of the same camraderie that I experienced when I first ran into ActionJackson and some other FJCruiser members 4 years ago in Moab. I was oversized for the trail they ran, but they were happy to spot me along.

I guess what I am wanting to say is "It is all a matter of perspective". I hope that you are not so miserable with your life that you choose to get distracted by the petty things. We have the power to choose our actions, words and attitudes and those will determine where our sights are set and where we will go. If that does not help, perhaps we need to visit further on your next trip to Colorado.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
^Thanks for your patience and help and for taking the time to register and post here.

Love visiting your neck of the woods.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Guys, New Member/First Post and why not start in this thread. You may remember me as the bearded dude who helped at the TLCA booth, spotting on Black Bear and leading the Alpine Loop in a 100 series Land Cruiser.

I first wanted to say a quick thank you for the hospitality and welcome I got from the event organizers, especially Matt, Ty and Tim. They are truly two stand up guys that have put in more hours than most of us can imagine.

To the OP, I don't know you so I have a couple questions, did you lead a trail or volunteer in any other way? If so I applaud you for stepping up, If not that's great too. I understand that some people just want to come enjoy an event without any responsibilities as well and that's great too. From what I saw the event was short on volunteers, I asked what needed trail leading on Friday night and Ty had a stack of trails needing leaders! I offered to lead Alpine Loop because is was needed. Its far from my favorite trail but I had a blast with a great group of people who all seemed to care less what everyone else was driving. The fact that the Jeep Owner and the Xterra owner both offered to be trail leaders says volumes about their commitment to the event and the hobby. I thought it was great to see them there. One of the committee members for Cruise Moab is a JK driver and he constantly endures ridicule from other members and attendees for the fact that he doesn't drive a Toyota, yet he steps up and does an incredible Job in his position.

I am a Jeep convert and moved from a CJ5 to a TJ to my Lanc Cruiser out of necessity for a larger vehicle. I get a deep seance of family and camaraderie from Toyota events that I never got from Jeep events. If I purchase a Jeep or any other brand (I tend to buy the best vehicle for the job and don't consider myself a brand loyalist) in the future I would hope that I would feel invited still attending Toyota Centric Events.

I envision this event always being FJC centric even well after the FJC goes out of production (hopefully not for a long time) but think it's awesome that other Toyota's or even other Makes are welcome to join.

All of that said, If the event organizers and members stated in their policy that you must own Brand XXX Model YYY I would fully support that decision, case sometimes you just want to have fun with your own kind.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm always entertained by people who can't take accountability for their actions or lack thereof. Progolfer, if your friends who own FJ's really wanted to make going to Summit a priority, they would have signed up earlier when slots were available and not whined about it after they didn't take any action. For me, the thing I like most about the FJ community is how inclusive, friendly, and helpful everyone is. Well, almost everyone. Don't project your friends lack of motivation or inability to make a decision on those people who registered and don't happen to own FJ's. Grow up, man.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Full -N- Down
641 Posts
Some day I'll make it to the FJ Summit. I would only add that the off road community is seeing more and more trails restricted and we need to stick together regardless of what type of vehicle we drive. ;)

·
Banned
497 Posts
I remember when blacks had seperate bathrooms than whites...

First come first serve. If more Toyota owners would be faster y'all wouldn't have this problem...

"Dream like you'll live forever,
live like you'll die today."
-James Dean

1 - 20 of 118 Posts