Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

101 - 118 of 118 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
I saw a VW Touareg up near the Crystal River Mill a few weeks ago. The funny part was that they had wrapped the sides in saran wrap to avoid pinstriping.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Just wanted to chime in as a soon-to-be newbie (pick it up Saturday). I'm really looking forward to attending an FJ Summit because I would like to learn from other folks - regardless of what they drive. I've been obsessing about owning an FJ for years, and I'm finally getting one. But, all of my offroad experience is pretty midwestern hillbilly - which means a lot of mud, some trails, but nothing super technical, and it has all been in either an old Jeep YJ that I threw a rod in (ugh) or 4x4 trucks. I don't care who is on the trail, I'm really happy to meet anyone and learn from them, and offer any assistance that I can to anyone else.

Just didn't want you guys to think all newbies were the same :)

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
I saw a VW Touareg up near the Crystal River Mill a few weeks ago. The funny part was that they had wrapped the sides in saran wrap to avoid pinstriping.
if that really works, i'm all for it :bigthumb:

·
Registered
122 Posts
You live in Holland, have 8 posts, don't have an FJ yet, and are already reorganizing the Colorado FJ summit. Quite aggressive. The irony that you advocate not letting a few stragglers and even sponsors with other vehicles, yet are allowed to post here is not lost.

That said, your analogy was for a different club with a different mindset, and this is a once a year event with organizers that like it how it is. Completely different.
Hmmm.

Holland? Yes. But which Holland? Going to assume by your tone that you think I'm overseas. I'm not. I don't live in Holland, Michigan either.

Only 8 posts? Ok. So what? There's a certain threshold one must meet before a person can offer an opinion or a suggestion? If so, I've yet to find it.

Don't have an FJ? Well, it is mine, it's just not here yet. Or does it have to be in my garage before I can post? Don't see that rule either.

Reorganizing the Summit? No. Not really. Just offering a suggestion... that the "name" means everything.

Different club with a different mindset? I admitted in my post that I was comparing an association to an event... that must have been lost in the reading. Different mindset? Not sure about that. It's about getting together with like-minded folks who drive/ride a particular make/model of vehicle. That seems to have been lost somewhere as well.

If I tell you my name is Clint, you would be led to imagine one kind of person. If I say, Marilyn, that would lead you to imagine something entirely different. To get more particular, if I say Clint Eastwood, you would get one picture in your mind. Marilyn Monroe, another.

If you are going to stage a Corvette race/run/show, what comes to mind? FordGTs or Vipers? I don't think so. But maybe it doesn't matter? Hmmm.

So, I was only suggesting that perhaps, just perhaps, the name "FJ Summit" is somewhat misleading to some folks. That's all. But, according to you, I have to live in a certain place, have so many posts, and actually have an FJ in the driveway before I can offer an opinion or suggestion.

And I'm 'elitist?' :jester:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Actually it says Holland, Manitoba right on your name. Not hard to know that's Canada.

Maybe when you have an FJ, attend a summit, and organize major meets (all of which I have done) then maybe you won't be so upset about a few other models showing up as a extremely small %. Or, maybe you'll be super duper upset and just have to let it all out.. i don't know what kind of person you are really.

I don't think you're elitist, but you certainly are exclusionary when I don't think you need to be.

And if tread lightly and that organization was at all turned off by this nonsense and decided to pass on our event it would surely be to the events detriment. What they do is awesome (if you dont know, look it up!). The trail leaders with other vehicles were sponsors that make the event happen with the money, lead runs with their knowledge, and make FJ products that are awesome.

Like I said, you're new... stick around, I think you might find it's not a big deal at all.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Maybe when you have an FJ, attend a summit, and organize major meets (all of which I have done) then maybe you won't be so upset about a few other models showing up as a extremely small %. Or, maybe you'll be super duper upset and just have to let it all out.. i don't know what kind of person you are really.
:) Actually, I'm not upset at all. But I sensed a number of FJ owners who couldn't attend the Summit were. And I'm sympathetic. Now you know a little bit more about me... :lol:

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Way too much energy being spent on this thing.

It's already been stated by the organizers/directors of this event that it IS an FJC-oriented event, and will stay that way, and it IS open to people with other models and makes.

Besides that, it's already been revealed that the majority of the non-FJC vehicles at the event this year were actually sponsors, and if you think they should be required to have FJCs in order to participate in trail runs at an event that they are helping to make possible, you're just nuts.

It's going great, every year. So, leave it alone.

Holy crap, do we have to rehash the reasons why it's working out just fine every time someone new comes in here?

Read the thread, people.

p.s. I know...my fault for continuing to watch when it's going nowhere. Sorry. I am done in here now. :cheers:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Way too much energy being spent on this thing.
It's going great, every year. So, leave it alone.
Holy crap, do we have to rehash the reasons why it's working out just fine every time someone new comes in here?
Read the thread, people.
Yup, going great...

That's why "us newbies" have to be told every time (!) that it's "working out just fine" and then to "leave it alone." (!) And then to "read the thread."

I did. I read the historical threads too. That's why I felt safe to give my comments. Should have known better.

"Way too much energy being spent on this thing."

Ok. Ever ask yourselves, "Why?" Or are you too set in your agenda to even consider the question, never mind looking for an answer? [Rhetorical question]

The perception was, way back in 2007, that one needed an FJ to participate (I read the threads). No one bothered to set the record straight then. Or perhaps they didn't need to.

The perception is, now, to new people coming on board, that you need an FJ to participate (I read the threads). I assume the problem, now, stems from the name, "FJ Summit."

But each time someone new comes on board, you, whoever you are, has to "rehash the reasons why it's working out fine." And not nicely, either... :boo:

"Hello, Houston. We have a problem! ... Houston... ...Are you there Houston?"

"Sorry but Houston has gone off the air."

Ok, I'm done now. I get it already.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

Sent from my iPad using AG Free

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
He's a funny guy, our friend from the Canadian Netherlands :rocker:
Maybe we need a sticky in the newbie section:
1) other cars are okay at the summit, especially if they have good reason, but even otherwise
2) feedback from newbs regarding how to run the summit or pretty much anything else is supernumerary, as such advice generally is in real life, i.e. you start a new job, your boss probably won't be too keen on your opinions how to make things work better, etc etc.
3) ongoing self-righteousness on part of newbs regarding such behavior only leads to (good natured of course) baiting and poking, which might go on for pages, until some poor moderator finally gets low on tolerance and closes the thread :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
9,009 Posts
I think it boils down to the registration being open for some months. It gets to the point that it's also nice to fill the event. There will always be some people left out, either because they procrastinate and not register near the beginning, or they just found out about it and then it was already filled.

I do understand your frustration about it not being rehashed, from your part.
It's like coming into the middle of a conversation and having a point of view that may have been covered before you arrived. Some will get testy about it.

We , as forum veterans, need to keep this in mind, for the benefit of newer members,
You will get this on all forums.

Some things to keep in mind is to look at post count/ join date, before making a harsh , teaching lesson, type of reply. I think we all are guilty of this , from time to time.

Oh by the way gto49, welcome to the forum.
Thanks
Don

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Yup, going great...

That's why "us newbies" have to be told every time (!) that it's "working out just fine" and then to "leave it alone." (!) And then to "read the thread."

I did. I read the historical threads too. That's why I felt safe to give my comments. Should have known better.

"Way too much energy being spent on this thing."

Ok. Ever ask yourselves, "Why?" Or are you too set in your agenda to even consider the question, never mind looking for an answer? [Rhetorical question]

The perception was, way back in 2007, that one needed an FJ to participate (I read the threads). No one bothered to set the record straight then. Or perhaps they didn't need to.

The perception is, now, to new people coming on board, that you need an FJ to participate (I read the threads). I assume the problem, now, stems from the name, "FJ Summit."

But each time someone new comes on board, you, whoever you are, has to "rehash the reasons why it's working out fine." And not nicely, either... :boo:

"Hello, Houston. We have a problem! ... Houston... ...Are you there Houston?"

"Sorry but Houston has gone off the air."

Ok, I'm done now. I get it already.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

Sent from my iPad using AG Free
:lol: :rofl:

He's a funny guy, our friend from the Canadian Netherlands :rocker:
Maybe we need a sticky in the newbie section:
1) other cars are okay at the summit, especially if they have good reason, but even otherwise
2) feedback from newbs regarding how to run the summit or pretty much anything else is supernumerary, as such advice generally is in real life, i.e. you start a new job, your boss probably won't be too keen on your opinions how to make things work better, etc etc.
3) ongoing self-righteousness on part of newbs regarding such behavior only leads to (good natured of course) baiting and poking, which might go on for pages, until some poor moderator finally gets low on tolerance and closes the thread :bigthumb:
^^^^ now that's what i'm talking about :lol:

I think it boils down to the registration being open for some months. It gets to the point that it's also nice to fill the event. There will always be some people left out, either because they procrastinate and not register near the beginning, or they just found out about it and then it was already filled.

I do understand your frustration about it not being rehashed, from your part.
It's like coming into the middle of a conversation and having a point of view that may have been covered before you arrived. Some will get testy about it.

We , as forum veterans, need to keep this in mind, for the benefit of newer members,
You will get this on all forums.

Some things to keep in mind is to look at post count/ join date, before making a harsh , teaching lesson, type of reply. I think we all are guilty of this , from time to time.

Thanks
Don
I don't care if you've never been to any forum before in your life, it doesn't take a master's degree to figure out how these things work. It's obvious where the conversation started. Then, follow the posts as the conversation continues...

If you do that (which they said they did) and STILL decided to jump into it with a rehash of the ridiculous ideas for why this thread was started in the first place, then why is it "harsh" to respond with a rehash of all of the logical and reasonable evidence for how the current plan is working out just fine, and the reasons for keeping it this way, at least for the near future?

Ya, please do close this thread. This is ridiculous.

The FJ Summit is great!
Keep up the great work, guys :cheers:

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think it boils down to the registration being open for some months. It gets to the point that it's also nice to fill the event.

Thanks
Don
Thanks for the welcome. I apologize if my comments and suggestions came across as "harsh" and "self-righteous." They certainly weren't meant to sound that way. And I also hope I didn't come across as knowing all the answers... I was just trying to relate a personal experience which was very similar to the one exhibited here. And try to be helpful...(mistake).

Chalk it up to 30+ years of teaching at the college level... teaching adults.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
...try to be helpful...(mistake)...
Nope. Trying to be helpful is not a mistake at all, and the vast majority of the folks around here are friendly and patient, and extremely welcoming of newcomers (which we all were at some point).

It's just that, when something has already been hashed over the coals, and the owners of the event have already spoken to set the record and the intended direction of the event straight, and you come in and just restate 'the other' opinion (the one held by the person that started this thread in the first place), it's annoying.

Sorry, man. None of us meant any offense by pointing that out. You are totally welcome here. You are free to say whatever you want (within the rules, of course :lol: ), and shouldn't feel afraid to speak up on fear of people slamming you for it. So, if that's what you thought was going on, I'm sorry. I totally did not intend to slam you. It was just so hard to resist slamming something with what you were saying.

...Chalk it up to 30+ years of teaching at the college level... teaching adults.
Very cool! A professor in our midst (not said in jest. Since I worship education, you're like a priest in my worldview).
Where did/do you teach?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Where did/do you teach?
Ah, a lifetime ago, it seems. Taught math/science and eventually computer programming at Red River College, Winnipeg, MB. Retired 8 years (early retirement) and now enjoying playing with toys... well, not ALL the time. Love photography (White Rainbow Photography) and riding my Gold Wing.

Here's the best... Picked up and brought home my FJ today!! Now, to get a pic on here... :)

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Ah, a lifetime ago, it seems. Taught math/science and eventually computer programming at Red River College, Winnipeg, MB. Retired 8 years (early retirement) and now enjoying playing with toys... well, not ALL the time. Love photography (White Rainbow Photography) and riding my Gold Wing.

Here's the best... Picked up and brought home my FJ today!! Now, to get a pic on here... :)
Cool!
Make sure to check in here and here if you haven't already :cheers:

·
Registered
2,369 Posts

Welcome to another retiree. I retired in 2004 and have enjoyed the good life ever since. Hope you make it to the Summit next year. I think you will see its a great event as is.

Ace

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

101 - 118 of 118 Posts