Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm not an FJ owner just yet, but I'm on my way. I searched, but couldn't find much. Has anyone installed Xenon's, or any other HD bulbs for headlights? If so, how bright are they, and what brand? Additionally, what size light bulbs are necessary? Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
546 Posts
PIAA Extreme White. They are twice as bright as the stock and the light beams are Super White.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I replaced the stock bulbs with Sylvania "SilverStars". The low beams are great and the high beams are brilliant. They cost $35-$40 a pair.

·
Registered
546 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Im by no means a lighting expert, and I DO understand why people say not to put HIDs in a non HID vehicle that has projector lights. The bulb and light output must be a certain distance away to focus the beam exactly, but the FJ doesn't, its just a reflector light. Why would it be a bad idea to put HIDs in the FJ? I don't follow the reasoning with it just being a reflector light housing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ah, H4's. That's the rub for HID's, the dual-filament nature of the stock H4 makes it a little tricky to position the glowing gas orb of the HID in *both* the spots created by each of the H4's elements.

There was at least one firm trying to sell a HID H4 replacement that mechanically shifted the bulb in/out to try to simulate the two positions of the H4 filaments (low-beam, high-beam).

On motorcycles, most just give up, get H4 HID replacement bulb(s) targeted for the "low-beam" placement, then fit aux driving lights to replace the high beam.

HTH.

·
Registered
31 Posts
^^^ Sorry to tell you this, but with a TINTED bulb like that, especially one that blue, your loosing light output. Its a fact. Those will SUCK in the rain. From my experiences on other cars HIDs>SilverStars>Stock> ANYTHING ELSE.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts