Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

XM Radio Install - Pics

25K views 42 replies 25 participants last post by  LandCruiserSteve 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, I don't know how I lived without satellite radio before now. Now I'm spoiled and can't go back.

I wanted a unit that would have large text (for these old eyes), look unobstrusive and blend in with the interior color scheme. And, I wanted to mount it for easy access (to me), and fit perfectly into a space that wouldn't interfere with any other components inside the FJ.

I went with the Audiovox model XMC-10A from Best Buy ($69.95), which included all accessories needed for my installation plan (i.e., 12v power cable, magnetic rooftop antenna, audio out, mounting cradle, etc.).

Started with mounting the antenna. Centered it on the front lip of the roof and took advantage of the gap between the roof and the windshield molding to run the wire over to the edge of the windshield. From there, the antenna wire went down the edge of the windshield where it tucked in pretty nicely in the rubber molding. (I ran a bead of clear silicone over the wire to ensure it remained seated and didn't become a source of whistling.)

After running the antenna wire into the back of the dash behind the left silver vent panel and feeding the right angle 1/8" audio cable to the same location, I tapped into an Accessory circuit in the fuse box with an "Add-A-Circuit" and fed the power cable up with the antenna and audio leads.

The left vent panel snapped right off with a slight upward motion. I drilled a hole through the plastic just large enough to poke all three cables through and mounted the cradle bracket just below the hole.

I then connected all three cables to the mounted cradle and slipped the XM received into the cradle.

The base of the cradle swivels to allow the unit to be positioned as the desired angle.

I cut a small notch in the switch panel blank closet to the Aux Audio Input jack and fed the audio source from the XM unit directly into the primary radio.

After everything was installed, I called XM, activated my $12.95/month service, and I haven't looked back since.

See less See more
#2 ·
Very Nice. How is the volume in the AUX. input. I plugged my iPod into it and found it to lose a lot of volume. I had to turn the radio volume all the way up to compensate.

#4 ·
On my FJ radio (the base version), the volume for the radio and the Aux input are totally independent of each other. So you can set the radio volume at one level and leave it . . . . and set the Aux input to another level. (Not sure if it's the same with the 6-disc upgrade radio.)

Anyway, the volume of the satellite radio is just fine. Plus the XM itself has an Audio Level Output level setting that can be boosted in the Menu section.

#5 ·
Thanks, TuckTruck. It took about two hours for the install.

Coming off the base of the side windshield rubber molding, the antenna wire hooks a turn into the engine compartment in order to keep the wire completely hidden. The hardest part was finding a hole in the firewall to feed the antenna wire through to the back of the dashboard.

Otherwise, the rest of the installation was pretty easy.

#9 ·
hey idrhawkey...did you turn up the volume on the ipod...cause that is what might of not made the radio from sounding good

#11 ·
For those of you that don't want to go to the trouble of routing the antenna on the outside, do what I did. I ran the antenna wire behind the door seal (drivers side on mine) and simply used velcro to mount the antenna end on the dash between the defrost opening and the CS storage compartment. It works great. I also used the same technique in my F150.. Just a thought...

#15 ·
#16 ·
My antenna is installed at the same location as SteveLandcruiser, but for "family viewing" here's where
my unit is located:

#17 ·
After everything was installed, I called XM, activated my $12.95/month service, and I haven't looked back since.
Call them back and tell them you received a post card offering you $77/year. Use code "zwinback" if they ask for a coupon code. Comes out to about $6.42 a month.

#20 ·
Nicely done write-ups, but I must say for the XM install you went to way too much work. The Terk - Audiovox unit just plugs in to the FJammer - no holes, no major disassembly of the truck, just pull off the radio face plate and pull the radio out a bit. You don't even have to cut or splice a wire!! let alone drill a hole. Totally integrated with the radio and steering controls. Works great with excellent sound quality. Antenna mounts up the samy as what you have done and you still have the AUX port for your iPod. Cost was $99.00 from XMfan(dot com) last fall. Have heard the price went up a bit, but still a much better option than the factory kit and I prefer it to a bunch a junk hanging off the dash, cup holders, etc. And I speak from experience, as I first had a Samsung Nexus which worked great, but the display was too small and buttons too small to operate easily while driving. My $.02. Any way, XM ( or Sirius if you are of that ilk ) is great and I wouldn't be without it...even going to put it in my FJ40...although I know the sound quality will be diminished with all the other racket that goes with a 40!!:blueblob: :blueblob:

#23 ·
I must say for the XM install you went to way too much work. The Terk - Audiovox unit just plugs in to the FJammer - no holes, no major disassembly of the truck, just pull off the radio face plate and pull the radio out a bit. You don't even have to cut or splice a wire!! let alone drill a hole. Totally integrated with the radio and steering controls. Works great with excellent sound quality.
Since I don't have an FJammer or steering wheel controls, what I did made more sense.

#24 ·
#26 ·
Well, I don't know how I lived without satellite radio before now. Now I'm spoiled and can't go back.
Nicely done Steve... nice attention to detail as usual...

#28 ·
backlight question..

I have the same tuner mounted down near the center switch panel and I find the backlighting is very bright and intrusive at night even at it's lowest setting. I've tried a layer of window tint film over the display which makes it's tolerable but then it's too dim for daylight. I have the Roady in my 4runner and its' backlighting is more adjustable.
It would seem with your location it would be even more noticable. Have you addressed this in any way?
Or maybe it's just my sailors' habits with night vision.

#30 ·
Re: backlight question..

I find the backlighting is very bright and intrusive at night even at it's lowest setting.
Have you addressed this in any way?
No, I'm not having a problem with that at all. During the day, I've got the backlighting, brightness and contrast set so it's very easy to see. And, if I'm doing any extended night driving, I'll turn the backlighting down a bit so that it's about the same brightness as the dash panel (which I like to keep somewhat dim).

BTW Randy, is that your Cessna in the avatar?

#29 ·
The imagination is a wonderful thing.

The locations and the installs will never get dull. We will constantly be praising others for their ideas and I for one praise others for their ideas and suggestions for my installs.

Thanks to all and keep the ideas flowing.

Cya

#31 ·
Sorry to dig this back up but i have a few questions. In the pic of the fuse box those "Add a Circuits" are they able to be purchased at an Auto Zone or Radio Shack type store?
I assume the red wire is for the power, the black is ground and the other black is the antenna.
The plug that goes into Aux input does it replace the fm modulator that i use now?
I've installed an XM unit in my Wife's Jimmy but you has to manually turn it off everytime you left the truck because i could not figure which wire to splice into so i used the cigarette lighter. However i did use the fm modulator but i assume that the aux cord replaces it, right? Thanks!

#32 · (Edited)
Sorry to dig this back up but i have a few questions.
No problem. It's kinda fun seeing one of my very first threads re-emerge after all this time. :)

In the pic of the fuse box those "Add a Circuits" are they able to be purchased at an Auto Zone or Radio Shack type store?
I assume the red wire is for the power, the black is ground and the other black is the antenna.
The plug that goes into Aux input does it replace the fm modulator that i use now?
I've installed an XM unit in my Wife's Jimmy but you has to manually turn it off everytime you left the truck because i could not figure which wire to splice into so i used the cigarette lighter. However i did use the fm modulator but i assume that the aux cord replaces it, right? Thanks!

The Add-A-Circuits are more commonly found at Discount Auto Parts, Kragen and Checker Auto. For some reason, AutoZone doesn't usually keep a supply of them on hand. (And, be sure to get the "mini fuse" Add-A-Circuit version.)

Rather than directly wiring your satellite receiver power receptacle to the fuse box, you should retain its supplied cigarette lighter plug and use it in line for any required voltage step-down conversion. (Many XM and Sirius receivers require 3-4 volts and a direct connection to a 12 volt source would obviously cause damage.)

I used a female cigarette lighter receptacle to accommodate the XM receiver's male cigarette lighter plug. I then hard-wired the two leads coming from the female jack to the Add-A-Circuit and a ground connection respectively. The Add-A-Circuit itself was plugged into a "switched" fuse slot that allows the satellite radio to be turned off and on automatically, depending on whether the FJ's ignition is off or on.

Yes, the AUX audio output from the satellite receiver is meant to be plugged directly in to the FJ radio's AUX audio input, thus eliminating the FM modulator and providing a cleaner direct signal.

#35 ·
Alright. Now this is an old thread. But why start a new one when one already exists right? So tonight I bought an xm radio. Similar to the one at the start of this thread and conveniently for me I have the same stock radio as the fj at the beginning of this thread :)

so I have a few questions.

1). Have you or anyone else found a better way to connect the xm radio to the sound system like an input on the back of the radio or something?

2). How have peoples experiences been with the xm antenna in the dash in the speaker hole? I found a lot of positive comments regarding gps antennas there but not a whole lot of feedback regarding xm antennas there.

Thanks for the write up. Now I just have to find a place in town to get an add a circuit...

Cad

#36 ·
1). Have you or anyone else found a better way to connect the xm radio to the sound system like an input on the back of the radio or something?
The base OEM head unit doesn't have a auxiliary input jack on the rear of the unit, so I ended up hard-wiring (soldering) my stereo lead cable from the XM receiver into the back of the FJ's front Auxiliary input jack (so there wouldn't be any dangling wires across the center console).

2). How have peoples experiences been with the xm antenna in the dash in the speaker hole? I found a lot of positive comments regarding gps antennas there but not a whole lot of feedback regarding xm antennas there.
The XM radio's antenna, like any other satellite antenna (i.e., GPS) wants to see as much of the open sky as possible in order to work at its optimum performance. Roof-top mounting of the antenna will always work the best, IMO.

#37 ·
Thanks. I ended up roof mounting (front middle) and comming down into the engine bay. Then entering the cab from the rubber seal behind the dash where the wiring harness comes in. I used an add a circuit using your instructions (thanks for that! Only one 12v Jack is kinda stupid in this day and age...) and for the audio Jack I just ended up running the cable stuffed in under the trim to keep it hidden. But still plugged in to the aux Jack. So far. So good. :). Thanks again for the write up and advice

cad

#38 ·
#43 ·
#40 ·
sorry i took a while.none i made it long enough and put a bend in it to use the mirror screws. i got an aluminum bracket now smae look but less movement

#41 ·
I finished my install, taking lots of cues from LandCruiserSteve.

My radio mount came apart revealing 4 threaded brass plugs in the back which allowed direct attachment through the dashboard.

I wanted to hide as many wires as possible while also installing an UltraGauge, so I made a 1/4" hole where the silver and charcoal dash panels meet.

Now everything is tucked out of the way; easy for me to see while driving but difficult to see from the outside.

#42 ·
Thanks for the great idea. I finally got the nerve to permanently install my XM. I did not do the add a circuit. I ended up adding a 3 port ac adapter that wired into the back of the adapter in the front. I was also trying to conceal my wires for my radar detector as well. Thanks Landcruisersteve for the idea!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.