Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone try to get XM sat installed. Dealer quotes me $750.00 installed with all wires hidden. Seems high to me.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Anyone try to get XM sat installed. Dealer quotes me $750.00 installed with all wires hidden. Seems high to me.
I got mine for around $50 at WalMart and installed it myself. Easy install...only about 1 hour to install and no wires exposed...

·
Registered
112 Posts
i use my XM roady that I got at Wally world for $20 bucks......routed all the wiring so you cant see it and just plugged it into the aux jack to hear it.....nice thing is I can take it into the house to listen to it when im home......

The toyota one is nice but WAYYYYYYYYY over priced.......go buy a portable and do yourself a favor.....spend the money you will save on a other cool stuff.

·
Registered
63 Posts
the terk set up is nice too, it goes behind the dash and interfaces with the fj jammer and the steering wheel controls work.

·
Registered
685 Posts
If it's an 08' the terk won't work, you HAVE to use the toyota. I went through all this and even had to call terk directly. The toyota parts run about $290 if I remember correctly, and it took me about 15 minutes to install. Look up radio removal on the forum. I put the reciever box thing in the cavity next to the glove box (remove glove box and look at the empty space to the right) instead of under the seat like the dealer does. I have kids and anything under the seat would get messed with.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
a clean install should take about 30 minutes to an hour depending on how OCD you are.

Buy the toyota version and add it yourself.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If it's an 08' the terk won't work, you HAVE to use the toyota. I went through all this and even had to call terk directly. The toyota parts run about $290 if I remember correctly, and it took me about 15 minutes to install. Look up radio removal on the forum. I put the reciever box thing in the cavity next to the glove box (remove glove box and look at the empty space to the right) instead of under the seat like the dealer does. I have kids and anything under the seat would get messed with.
Not to dis you but I have a 08 and the terk and it works. Sorry yours didn't.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
If you check the quote closely, most of it is the dealer labor cost.
Here are the online prices of the XM kit;
$179 86180-0W031 XM Satellite Tuner unit
$ 85 PT546-35070 XM Satellite Tuner Fit Kit (bracket/harness) with Antenna

Toyota tech will install the tuner in the rear panel/passenger side, near the factory subwoofer area.

I installed the same factory XM tunner kit but I just mounted it inside the passenger side compartment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts