Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
I'm picking mine up next week and will be doing a bit of camping in it, will post my thoughts afterwards. Talk to Roualeyn there, he will answer all your questions, great guy, tell him Pete sent you.

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
shack: what does your 101 weigh? i'm eyeballing the xt75

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Tongue is quite long but has excellent departure angles. Frame is questionable from what I see of it. Channel is not strong enough normally for serious off roading, and it is quite heavy most likely giving it its heavy weight.

Trailer looks good in pictures for sure. I like the two side doors and have thought about that for my trailers.

It looks like they carry all the water over the passenger wheel, I do not like that idea at all, and am not much in love with surge brakes on an off road trailer, descending major hills in off camber situations would be quite scarey I think.

Prices are good though. Appears it would be great for most off road camping in established parks or off road parks, but I would question its ability on a major expedition type trip. High centering with the tongue length would be a normal situation going through and over ditches.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I spent a fair amount of time at the Overland Expo looking over a pair of XT-140s. A few observations: they appear to be very well built and good design. Lots of storage in many smaller compartments, slide out built in and price of $7500 includes just about everything meeded except stove and fridge. They are uni-body construction and don't have a true frame. They have been in use in Africa for some time and have survived thousands of miles of harsh African roads. There are actually 2 water tanks, one on each side, balancing out the load, and if one springs a leak there is a backup. One drawback I noted was smallish tire size but I think the wheel wells would allow larger sizes. Weight is less than the other major builder. All-in-all I think an excellant new (to US) trailer.

I have to agree with Bob though that surge brakes could be a problem. Bundu Gear will not claim these are "rock-crawling trailers".

Ace

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
I remember the one quite similar, that Wikid drug to Sedona last year. I think he had problems getting it to the upper parking area. For some reason the South African and Austrailian trailers, have very little ground clearance, are long and narrow, with small tires. Great for high speed accross wide open roads, but not so good for crawling back into the hills of West Virginia, or over Kokopelli, John Bull or the Rubicon. They do not take into consideration off camber stuff being that narrow. I think their off road trailer idea is different than what ours are.

Not knocking the trailer, by any means, but I would never attempt dragging it where I take mine. I have serious questions as its ability to make it up engineer or imogene at Ouray and most FJ's can do those trails in 2WD.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Yes, love the trailer! Sent you an email. I do have some pics to post but have been hugely busy with work, will try to get some up here in the next few days. In the meantime if anyone has any specific questions I'll be glad to answer them when I can!

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
See pic. The ball hitch setup is very cool, it swivels left & right 360 degrees so technically it could roll and still be connected. Remember though, that this isn't a rock-crawling trailer, nor is it designed to be. Even further, for myself it was never purchased as a rock-crawling trailer. It is a fair bit larger than the M101s and other retail off-road trailers and can thus haul a bit more. So the ideal situation is to take it to a base camp to be parked for a few days, then head off without it for the extreme exploring or hunting.

The only issue with the hitch is the long tongue length, and because it is a ball hitch, going over a sharp angle hill isn't much of a problem (the support wheel comes off easily for good clearance, plus it has sliders), but going in a very narrow and steep dip can be an issue as the edge of the coupler will hit the tongue just behind the ball. But again, this isn't what it was designed for, so if you feel the need to do this, you could always put a different kind of hitch on.

In my convoy on this 2 day trip there were 2 trucks with M101's and I easily kept up to them, and the trail was 2.5 to 3.5 / 5 difficulty.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Few more pics of it set up. For a family this thing is great, there's room for 2 adults comfortably up top accessible by a ladder inside, and probably 8 kids or 6 more adults could easily fit inside the 2 rooms. The awnings make it great for 3 season weather. It does require quite a large area to set up and stake out, but you don't have to put up the awnings or extra room if space is at a premium.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Inside photos. One other note, there was a washout (don't have pics) where the bypass was 2 sharp turns between 4 large trees, and there was no way the trailer could be maneuvered to straighten out behind the truck. So I motored on slowly and the rock rails dragged the trailer to the side gently on the dirt ground with ease and onward I went. The trailer is really well built with steel rails and components.

PS - I keep thinking of things to add... there is room for a large fold-up table as you can see, you can buy whatever table you want and the brackets adjust to fit it. Almost every surface of the tent has flaps that open, so in hot weather you can have it almost completely open to the breeze while the tough bug netting keeps the nasties out. There is access from the inside to the trailer itself (the long orange zipper behind the ladder) so you can run 110V or 12V power inside the trailer for a fan, heater, cell or gps charger etc. The stainless steel sink has an electric pump for the dual 40l potable water tanks, so you can also use it as a shower too if you want, although this might use up quite a bit of water.

You can charge it off your truck if you make a big 0- or 1-gauge charging cable to run to your spare battery, you can charge it off solar, or plug it into 110V household plug (or RV plug with an adapter). It has a big battery inside that lasted me easily 4 days, probably closer to 7 (haven't emptied it yet).

The only thing it doesn't have is hot water or bathroom facilities, but for me the gas stove provides the hot water and a shovel or portapotty tent works for me.

Also I had no issues with braking on any trail I've been on yet so far.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
Antartican, thanks for the pics and the insights. While they may not be intended for hardcore trails, I really like these South African trailers and they would probably go down the beach just fine for me.
:bigthumb:

...It is a fair bit larger than the M101s and other retail off-road trailers and can thus haul a bit more...
For those catching up, I believe the M101A2 that Shack was referring to back on the first page is the 3/4-ton U.S. model, not the M101CDN Canadian model. The M101CDN is a twin to the U.S. M416. And I would expect this XT-140 to be a smidgen larger. If I'm mistaken, please feel free to chime in.

:cheers:

·
fka trailman
849 Posts
that trailer is insane! i cant believe the size of that tent... how does the tent fold up?

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Each of the awnings fold up into a rectangle separately. The additional room folds up into same. Then the main part of the tent flips over onto the top of the trailer like any RTT. You then put the awnings, additional room & ladder on top of the rtt, then the heavy rubber-backed canvas cover zips over it all. Amazingly compact once put away.

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
I forgot to post this before. One of the guys on ExPo took this video of the distributor giving a walkthrough on the trailer's features. Took a little searching to find it...

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Mine is up for sale (my offroading has changed so trailerless is more appropriate for me), PM me if you're interested

1 - 20 of 22 Posts